Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Radiator Question (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/4912-radiator-question.html)

Scart March 5, 2008 05:09 PM

Radiator Question

I've been tossing around the idea of investing in a new computer with a new case and a water cooling system. However, I don't want a full-sized case as I go to a fair amount of LAN parties, and I don't want to have an external radiator. So i am trying to figure out a way to have an internal radiator, but in a mid-size this would be difficult with a 2x120mm rad. I could get a cm 690 and mount it to the top two fans, but I'm not sure how much modding that may take, and how the cooling will be if its blowing warm air from inside the case. How much of a negative effect would have two 120mm rads have? That would be easier to mount on intake fans, but I don't know what the flow issues would be like.

Thanks for your help!

Cptn Vortex March 5, 2008 05:55 PM

Hm.... Tough one! I think you could get away with installing a dual 120mm fan into an NZXT Rogue case.... on the side panel I think there are room for 2 fans. This may work. I have moved my computer around quite a bit, with a big honkin dual 120mm RAD on the back with a RADbox, and nothing has been hurt yet. As long as you don't bang it around you should be fine.

Babrbarossa March 5, 2008 05:59 PM

It's not that hard to cut out the top of a case for a rad, but there are quite a few cases that will hold a 2X120 rad internally without being too large.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...rcooling+antec that's my old top mount on a antec p180- it was solid and not that hard to do- pulling air from the case won't make that much of a difference since the components prodicing the majority of the internal heat are watercooled anyway, so the heat is carried away in the water instead of being released to the inside air.

JephDiesel March 5, 2008 06:35 PM

Check out the Gigabyte 3D Aurora or 3D Mars cases. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23397&vpn=GZ%2DFSCA1%2DATB&manufactu re=Gigabyte
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=Gigabyte

Most people tend to either love the look of the Gigabyte cases or hate the looks, I personally think they look rather sexy. Either way both of those cases could fit a 2X120 radiator very easily in the rear of the case with little or no modifications. The 3D Mars might be a little big to be hauling around to LAN parties but the Aurora should be manageable.

If you got money to blow, maybe look at the Mountain Mods H2OGO. It pretty expensive but it sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Again its another one of those love it or hate it cases.

Scart March 5, 2008 09:16 PM

Yeah, definitely don't have too much money to blow, which is kinda hard with water cooling. I should probably be saving up for engineering next year, and actually spending time doing pure 30 and calculus homework, but that isn't turning out too well. I actually don't need a new computer right now, but I'm getting a real itch to do some building and oc-ing.

The P182 looked intriguing, I'll have to add that to my list of considerations. I saw a mod where a guy did basically the same thing as you, except he had it inside the case attached to the top. The concerns I have with that case, are that its steel-rubber-steel, so cutting a window through that would be a pain. The case is also pretty heavy, seems about the same as my buddies full-sized aluminum armor case.

And no one answered my question about the large rad versus two smaller ones.

EDIT: Anyone else concerned with that Gigabyte Mars chassis that has a removable hdd cage held in by magnets?

llama_egg March 5, 2008 09:47 PM

I <3 my 3D Aurora, though as soon as it warms up I'm raping the thing until it's no longer recognizable as a Aurora...Ok, so I'm exaggerating a bit, but it is a pretty nice case. As for fitting a duel, might be a tight fit, but I think it should be able to fit one.

And those Antec's are a whore to lug around, one sec, I'll give you the weight of my P180 w/o anything in it *looks at box*

31 pounds, then add all your parts in, and the loop. Not fun to lug around at all.

JephDiesel March 5, 2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scart (Post 44369)

And no one answered my question about the large rad versus two smaller ones.

The only drawbacks to using 2 1X120mm radiators instead of a single 2X120 that I can think of are increased cost and maybe a slightly higher pressure drop due to the greater number of fittings and a more complex loop.

I'm sure you'll achieve better temps if you have one radiator before the CPU and one before the GPU. This way the heat from the CPU has a chance to be removed before it gets to the GPU block. If you just plan to cool the CPU chances are it will perform the same as a 2X120 radiator.

If you haven't already, check out this Excel spreadsheet for calculating flowrates through your WC system. I'm not sure how accurate it is but its neat to play around with. Martin's Flow Rate Estimator

If your not dead set on getting a WC system I would recomend doing an air-cooled build in a NZXT Rogue. This case has loads of airflow potential and I believe it will fit an Ultra-120 with no problems. Just a cheaper option if you want to save a few bucks.

Scart March 5, 2008 10:18 PM

What's the cable management like on the Aurora? Is there space behind the left panel to hide it all? If I did get it, I think I would add in a fan on the window, or even get a bigger window, it seems pretty small. Could probably stick a fan on top too....

Babrbarossa March 6, 2008 07:58 AM

No- I definitlely wouldn'trecommend a p180/182 for lan parties- just a mounting example that could be used on a lighter case

llama_egg March 6, 2008 10:20 AM

As long as you get slightly creative, you can do pretty good with the cable management in the Aurora. And for the window, it's a pretty much covers the interior of the case, it stops below the PSU, the HDD's, and almost the bottem, so unless you plan to do some, dunno, creative modding to your HDD's not much point of getting a bigger window. Saying that though, might want to replace it anyway, that thing scratches if you even look at it -_-