Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2011, 09:47 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Those Swiftech H20 kits seem like a steep price for me. lol Especially if I am only cooling the CPU at the time. I guess it depends on how hard I'm looking at doing my overclock.

Could I use buy a Fullcover waterblock for a GTX580? and buy some more tubing and whatnot.. To actually have it cool a CPU and GPU? I'm watching more videos on watercooling... I'm extremely tempted to do this for my next build.

Last edited by Razgrtz; December 6, 2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Forgot to include something.
Old December 7, 2011, 03:29 PM
Rookie

You'll be fine adding a fullcover gpu block since the H20 kit uses a mcp35x so you won't need to worry about flow issues when there is only a cpu and gpu block in your loop. Just make sure to get at least a 360 rad and fittings for the gpu block though.
Old December 7, 2011, 04:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
it's impossible I have tried.
Sorry, but you're wrong. Charles from Murderbox does it on his complete system builds.
Old December 7, 2011, 07:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well, I thought about the watercooling.. If I was to buy it.. I'd purchase a gtx 570(with the waterblock) However, if I didn't I'd JUST get a gtx 580. (No real point in me cooling that)

INSTEAD OF THE KIT. I could just buy the RAD/PUMP/RES all in one here...

Swiftech MCR-X20 Drive (Rev.3) Radiator Series - PC Liquid Cooling Systems CPU Cooler VGA Water Block Heatsink Pump Radiator Heat Exchanger Kit
$159.95

I wonder I can buy better tubings(Sizes confuse me like crazy),CPU waterblocks, Barbs I could use?

Or, should I just buy the kit.. Would that be safer?
The install seems easy/time-consuming. I've seen enough tutorials. Even one's where the guy doesn't allow air to escape from his res when first using his pump (Total Epic fail)

Sorry, for the crazy questions. I'm just afraid of leakage, and hungry for knowledge.
Old December 7, 2011, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

evga gives both 3/8 and 1/2 barbs on gpu WB

go with 3/8 on that swiftcheeze combo
Old December 7, 2011, 11:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong. Charles from Murderbox does it on his complete system builds.
The OUTSIDE of the 3/8" tube is the same as the 1/2" fittings OD. Slightly more if you take the barbs into the equation. So you are about an 1/8th of a inch out in diameter and a 1/4 inch total.
It's just bad plumbing.
It doesn't work. I don't recommend it and neither should anyone for that matter.
Plumbing isn't supposed to be unpossibly tight and forced it's supposed to be snug.
The end result (if you actually manage to get it on) is tubing with the thickness of a balloon. I'll pass thanks.
Try it yourself I dare you.

I doubt highly charles from murderbox has a plumbing ticket either. No offence Sugar but trying to put a square peg in a round hole is just plain _____.

Peace.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 7, 2011, 11:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
it's impossible I have tried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Quote:
The OUTSIDE of the 3/8" tube is the same as the 1/2" fittings OD. Slightly more if you take the barbs into the equation. So you are about an 1/8th of a inch out in diameter and a 1/4 inch total.
It's just bad plumbing.
It doesn't work. I don't recommend it and neither should anyone for that matter.
Plumbing isn't supposed to be unpossibly tight and forced it's supposed to be snug.
The end result (if you actually manage to get it on) is tubing with the thickness of a balloon. I'll pass thanks.
Try it yourself I dare you.

I doubt highly charles from murderbox has a plumbing ticket either. No offence Sugar but trying to put a square peg in a round hole is just plain _____.

Peace.
Hey, you're the one that said impossible. I never said it was good plumbing, just that it is possible. I use compressions myself, after having a zip tie let go and eat up $600 worth of parts a couple of years back.

Here's some shots of one of Charles' builds with 3/8 tubing on 1/2" barbs. It is visually appealing.

MDPC 032 | murderbox 008 by Charles Harwood
Old December 9, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I stand corrected! :-)
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.