Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2011, 08:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Getting new GPU blocks, Custom loop recommendation needed!

Hey guys, I just recently decided to water cool 2 of my GTX 470 while I wait for the next generation NVIDIA gpu to come out around april.
Would there be a huge difference in terms of cooling power between a universal vs full cover waterblock? (because I can see that the full cover water blocks are more expensive than the universal).

Also, to water cool my graphic cards, I need to have a custom loop in my system(I am currently using Corsair H100).
Would any of you recommend me buying a water cooling kit from EK, or Swiftech ,etc Or should I buy each parts individually?
Thanks for the input guys

Last edited by siegfx; December 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old December 4, 2011, 09:13 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

well since you have 2 cards i would suggest going with induvidual parts since the pumps that come with the kits are on the weaker side. if you were cooling one card then i would say the kit.
Old December 4, 2011, 10:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

After reading here and there, Seems like I'll be going for 2 of these

EK-FC470 GTX - Acetal + EN (Nickel) - Full Cover for Nvidia GeForce - VGA Blocks - Blocks

Now, Could anyone recommend me of a good custom loop parts for my system?
I am really new to water cooling.. x_x just a bit scared of choosing my own parts.
My full system Spec is available,can someone please help me out?
Money is not a problem, the cooler , the better.
(A dark Red-Black colour scheme is preferred)
Thank you guys.
Old December 4, 2011, 02:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

its good that money is not a problem, watercooling gets to be addictive.

Full cover blocks cool more then just the GPU core, so they generaly perform better and most people think they look better.

I use EK full cover blocks on my GTX 580 and 460 they work well but install is a bit of a pain, and apparently there is (or was?) and issue with their nickel plating. Copper works just as good, it will just tarnish slightly over the years.

Space is almost always the limiting factor in watercooling. bigger Radiators will give you better (as in cooler) performance. For 2x GTX 470s the smallest i would recommend would be a 240 size rad (two 120mm fan size)

for Pumps again often comes down to space. The MCP 35x or 655 are both good options. with only 2 gpu blocks in your loop even a 35x will be lots of pumping power.

Reservoir is just to make it easier to bleed air and add water to your loop, mostly you want to find one that fits in your case and doesn't leak. I so far have had bad luck with cylindrical type ones.
Old December 4, 2011, 07:03 PM
Rookie

Radiator: Coolgate Ultimate Performance Copper Tube 360mm Radiator Products Model: CG-360 [CG-360] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come This is thick and has a low fins per inch so you can use low speed fans but still get great cooling. If you only have a spot for a dual radiator they make one too but if you are cooling a cpu and two GTX 470's (I'm assuming with some overclocking) then a triple rad or a dual with a single would probably be the best. Personally I don't see the purpose or custom watercooling if you can not get good temps and low noise.
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 Series 12 VDC Water Pumps - With Speed Control Products Model: MCP655 [MCP655] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come This is a reliable pump with a ton of power and a speed control so it only has to be as loud as you need it to be
Reservoir: depends how pricey you want to get really, you can get a bay reservoir that fits in a 5.25" bay or my personal favorite one would be one of these: FrozenQ PC Mod : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
And for fans I would say if you really want to go all out get a fan controller that can control the fan speeds based on temperatures like this one: Products Name: Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 PRO USB Fan-Controller, Grafik-LCD Products Model: AQ-70174 [AQ-70174] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come but there are tons of options so its really up to you.
Old December 5, 2011, 04:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Those are some nice ones, however It's not available in my local store... =(
Sorry guys, but could I possibly trouble u again by looking up on this site for me?

Water Cooling

If none of the parts are good at that store, then I'll go for drumsrule's choices from a US store (I live in Australia btw).
Thanks for the informations that you put along with all the suggestions, it helps me understanding what I'm dealing with! =D
Old December 5, 2011, 08:48 PM
Rookie

Before I suggest any more parts what case/mounting options do you have?
Old December 17, 2011, 04:53 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsrule786 View Post
Before I suggest any more parts what case/mounting options do you have?
Agreed.

Really do your homework regarding what rad your case can take. Other than that, i think you're in the good way.