Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2011, 09:09 PM
Top Prospect

Default Maintenance-free cooling mods?

Hi, I have been reading around on the internet, and it seems quite a few people have modded their closed loop systems. Most of the mods are just swapping the tubing for clear ones of the same diameter, and perhaps adding a reservoir. None of the pump, tubing size, or rad size was changed. Yet they are yielding better temps.

Can someone explain what is going on?
Old December 3, 2011, 09:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Any links to the mods? I haven't seen too many people want to or need to mod them as usually we take them as is.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 3, 2011, 11:01 PM
Top Prospect

Here's an example:

(Guide) H50 Replace Tubes and Res Mod.
Old December 4, 2011, 04:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

geoc most improvement is the rez is removing air pockets from rad giving 100% transfer of heat removal, plus compacity with rez
Old December 4, 2011, 10:15 AM
Top Prospect

wait, so there are air bubbles in the closed loop system? I always though it was taken care of by the manufacturer!

I am sure the added liquid in the res would slow the time of heating up the water, but even with the new add surface area of the res, it should be negligible. So in the long run isn't the cooling going to be the same?
Old December 4, 2011, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

*Most* of the bubbles are *usually* bled out by the manufacturer, but with proper mounting they should eventually be trapped at the top of the radiator.

As for the reservoir, refer to 7/8th grade chemistry: water can absorb a large amount of heat before it evaporates. (which it won't be doing a lot in this case) The benefits of additional thermal capacity (from more water) in a closed loop system are quite significant.
Old December 4, 2011, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
*Most* of the bubbles are *usually* bled out by the manufacturer, but with proper mounting they should eventually be trapped at the top of the radiator.

As for the reservoir, refer to 7/8th grade chemistry: water can absorb a large amount of heat before it evaporates. (which it won't be doing a lot in this case) The benefits of additional thermal capacity (from more water) in a closed loop system are quite significant.
But the benefit of the extra water is just temporary? After all, the CPU will continue to dump heat into the water until it reaches the equivalence point between the rad's thermal dissipation capacity and the CPU heat dump.