Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2011, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Don't cheap out on tubing Like I did

a while ago ( meaning months lol) I bought an watercooled 2gb gtx285 and then cheaped out on some tubing becasue I only needed around 14" and although I have a few shorter pieces laying around and probably just could had grabbed some pipe or what ever to add those few pieces together to get the right length I decided that I would just grab some clear tubing from the local hardware store and use that. I did this added the tubing did the test found no leaks and since then have been running watercooled ever since.
well todayI decided to take a boo inside my case and notice that the tubing I had bought was running flat I looked at my temps which where around 45degrees which to me is cool when compared the the previous watercooled 285gtx 1gb ( 55-60c) and my cpu while folding 247 ran around 55c which is a little warm but I just thought that this was normal becasue of the folding.
well I opened up my res and then proceed to reshape the line back to the oval normal shape as I was doing this I was watching the temps and they dropped my gpu is at 39 and my cpu is now at 48 C while folding . the tubing isn't even totally open so let this be a lesson to others don't cheap out like I did.
Old November 28, 2011, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

whats why hose coils were invented
Old November 28, 2011, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Dude I have been using hardware store tubing for the last 4 years solid. I replace it every year and have never had a problem with that stuff. All tubing has a max temp before it starts to deform and If you use compression fittings and get a slight twist in the tubing it will go flat or flatten out or pinch a little. You have to make sure the tubing isn't stressed or make the segments turn too fast. I've had that problem before due to the segment being too short and trying to make it work.

It's cheap for a reason but it still works fine. Expensive stuff has a better bend radius and better thermal capacity as well. You really just need to take more care installing the cheaper tubing and be damn sure there are no pinches or overly sharp turns. Remember... once the tubing gets warmer it becomes pliable so you ALWAYS have to check it after the 1st week to make sure it doesnt pinch or flatten out.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old November 28, 2011, 08:36 PM
Rookie

What type of tube due you most recommend for a new build? I'm planning on making a loop for the first time so just looking to get the best info.
Old November 28, 2011, 09:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Tygon, Primochill, Feser, Koolance, and Danger Den are all good choices. From that bunch it really comes down to price and aesthetics.
Old November 28, 2011, 10:39 PM

My System Specs

Primoflex and only Primoflex. I've been disappointed with every other brand that I've used. It had a good bend radius, is anti-microbial, and their clear tubing doesn't cloud too badly.
Old November 29, 2011, 12:13 AM

What lowfat said x2.

Primochill tubing is second to NONE.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old November 29, 2011, 08:55 AM
Rookie

Where can you pick up Primochill tubes? Seems dazmode doesn't have any.
Old November 29, 2011, 09:08 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hey man! Nice to see you here ;)

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories

I use Feser and I've been quite happy with it. Seems to be fairly flexible while maintaining it's shape. :)
Old November 29, 2011, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that I might as well get rid off that cheapo clear tubing I used for my GPU ( instead of messing around with it and since I have a spare pump and rad with fittings and also noticed that the standard pc waterblocks just cover the AMD 6128 CPU's I might as well grab a bunch of proper tubing and water cool my 2p and also .