Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Need a new pump

I have been using the xspc dual resi pump combo for a couple years now. Last few days I have noticed higher than normal temps. I tested it this afternoon and discovered the flow rate was way down. With everything hooked up about 150 liters per hour or 2.6 liters a minute. Without anything hooked up it was around 312lph or 5.2lpm This thing should be doing double the flow rate easy.

I do plan on expanding my cooling setup in the future so I am looking for a reliable pump with some power.

I was considering the newer xspc 750 but I don't know much about it yet.

TIA
Old November 18, 2011, 04:12 PM

My System Specs

This is the pump that comes w/ the Rasa correct? If so 2.6LPM isn't all that bad. I actually keep my servers loop @ around 1.8LPM (according to Koolance flow meter). If you get a new pump you are going to require a new reservoir as well, just something to consider.
Old November 18, 2011, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
This is the pump that comes w/ the Rasa correct? If so 2.6LPM isn't all that bad. I actually keep my servers loop @ around 1.8LPM (according to Koolance flow meter). If you get a new pump you are going to require a new reservoir as well, just something to consider.
It should be running at 12 lph tho. So something is definately wrong.
Old November 18, 2011, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

remove pump from res and just use it as a res and go with D5 vario for it has less heat dump
Old November 18, 2011, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I was thinking pretty hard on this setup what do you guys think? I like the bay resi setup only because I have loads of wasted space on my case and it's reasonably easy to setup compared to tube resi / pump setups. I'll also be able to reduce my fittings to 3/8s without the custom pump top.

XSPC Resi for d5 pump

D5 pump
Old November 19, 2011, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

Another reason for slower rate could be build ups in your blocks. D5 definitely has much higher reliability record, then RASA pumps.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old November 19, 2011, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I run glycol with deionized water. I have checked everything and there is no build up that I can see. There might be some insde the pump but of course there is no getting to it with the xspc pump glued inside the resi.

I did flow rate tests with:
everything 23 seconds per liter
360 rad only 15 seconds per liter
pump only 13 seconds per liter

This pump is supposed to be doing 750lph with nothing it's doing half that. I have been using the pump solid for 2 years so I would imagine it's just worn out. At 1st I thought it was a couple quick disconnects I bought from Daz that might be malfunctioning but I disproved that with the flow rate tests. It turned out to be coincidence. I know the cpu water block is a very old xspc solid copper block and still works really well however I know the newer ones have better flow rates and better milling. The new xspc one caught my eye.

This system has been running 5 degrees over ambient for as long as i've had it running. When it jumped 15-20 degrees obviously I needed to be concerned heh.

NOTE: in all the years i've been using glycol I've never once had any buildup or scaling of any kind.

Don't laugh this thing has actually been pretty good to me. ;-)

Last edited by clshades; November 19, 2011 at 12:22 PM.