Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2011, 10:35 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Cleaning a vehicle radiator + adaptor ideas

I just picked up a copper radiator for an upcoming computer build and I need to find a safe way to clean the insides. Does anyone have any experience using Prestone Super Flush to remove oxidation/buildup?

I'll have to make an adapter to reduce the size; maybe a PVC cap with a nipple to connect 1/2" ID tube to. That would likely mean having to cut off the raised ring on the rad. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Old October 14, 2011, 11:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...(car-radiator)

There have also been people here and on NCIX forums that have done something like this, look around around for their build logs.

I recall someone offering to use a vehicle radiator cleaning service on enthusiast radiators as well.
Old October 14, 2011, 11:50 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Nice looking radiator, the elbow joint they used is exactly what I need. I did see that thread about the radiator cleaning service, unfortunately I don't think my radiator would be considered small form factor like standard 120/240/360 radiators. I've read on a few car forums about people soaking their car radiators in vinegar overnight or in CLR for an hour as a last ditch resort with pretty successful results.

I will try getting a few prices from local shops if they come back high I'll go with the Preston.
Old October 15, 2011, 03:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look to this thread fore ideas Yes, Another Car Radiator Thread....Major 56K Warning!

He got some BIG been there and back badges. :)
Old October 15, 2011, 08:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Where I take my rads, they get an overnight Caustic Sofa bath @ 160F. After that, they're flushed, rinsed, and ultrasonic cleaned (upon request). That caustic soda is dangerous stuff though. I wanted to remove the powder coat from my TJ07 - it ate the aluminum to nothing but a sludge.

I used an old Swiftech rad that I bought a couple weeks ago on the forums here. After it was all done, I ripped it apart to see what it looked like inside. Pristine!

Did you pressure test that rad yet?
Old October 15, 2011, 01:05 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

It hasn't been pressure tested since I bought it, but I was assured it didn't leak. I'm visiting the old man this weekend who is good friends with a few mechanics in town so i'm going to leave this with him while I go about designing a case to mount this in. I'll start a thread on the case mod forum once I get a copy of autocad from work and polish up some of my rough "napkin" sketches.

Side note: I was looking at getting two "DazMode STORM DDC 3.25 18W Pump"s and combining them with a serial top... any recommendations for a pump top in terms of price/performance/reliability? I have my sights set on "Aquacover Dual Serialized DDC pump top" or an "XSPC Dual DDC High Performance Top" because they are quite affordable. This would give me lots of extra head to add in chipset/gpu blocks.
Old October 15, 2011, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

with trucks we used to run a little calgon in the rad while the vehical was running for about 20 minutes then just drain it into a container refill the rad up with water run it again for around 5 mins and while it was still running stick a water hose into the filler for the rad and turn the release for the rad but not to full so that water still remains inside the block keep the engine at idle until the water that is draining looks clear. But that is what we did in the shop I worked at for autos .
Old October 18, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

hate burst your bubble....to me that core (center with tubes and fins) had seen better days for the dry rot in yellow circle is from road salt. if get it hot tanked it may disappear.

rad looks if from a old small import car, take to rad shop to replace core then you have something good

while there bring copper 1/2 bungs so shop can install them
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; October 18, 2011 at 09:16 PM.