Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   TEC and waterblock..... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/4685-tec-waterblock.html)

Cptn Vortex February 20, 2008 04:26 PM

TEC and waterblock.....

Hey all, chilled CPU cooling....Quick question:

I have a Ultra Chilltec lying around now, doing nothing. I have no experience with using a TEC with a watercooling loop. Should I try it? Do I risk any condensation?

Essentially I have a loop with 2 RADs, one after the CPU/Chipset and one after the GPU. One 120.2 and one MCR220. What do you guys think?

Mr. Friendly February 20, 2008 06:10 PM

you forgot to tell em your basic idea currently is to slap a gob of TIM on there and secure the wb with longer mounting rods...give them a better idea of what you're thinking of. I'm curious to hear what the more experienced have to say about this! :D

NoL February 20, 2008 06:41 PM

Okay, pelts movement ability needs to exceed heat output of proc greatly first off. No small TEC's will work, will be counter productive. You must have a cold plate, and a pressure clamp as well, tec's want about 400 PSI to maximize efficiency. Then that goes on CPU, properly setup and tuned in (not just run at max volts like many do) you can easily have subzero efficiency.

Cptn Vortex February 20, 2008 07:11 PM

Looks like an interesting venture, but I may give it a try....I do have a spare Apogee GT lying around...

MpG February 20, 2008 09:44 PM

The GT isn't bowed, is it? I'm pretty sure that you don't want a bowed base on a TEC. And you'd need some sort of cold plate underneath, too, for it to work properly.

biff February 20, 2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoL (Post 42006)
properly setup and tuned in (not just run at max volts like many do) you can easily have subzero efficiency.

Can you elaborate on this?

Cptn Vortex February 21, 2008 04:47 AM

No, That Apogee isnt bowed, the one in my system right now is, but I have a spare un-bowed one sitting here.

NoL February 21, 2008 10:10 AM

Running at maximum voltage will result in maximum movement for that TEC, however if that wattage of movement exceeds the cooling you actually need, you can lower the voltage to gain greater efficiency ;)

kirk_d February 26, 2008 05:25 PM

OK, imagine if you will, an 80 watt pelt sandwiched between two apogee gt's.
Yes there is a cold plate in there.

Mounting Pressure would be approx 150 lbs. sq inch

The hot side is cooled with water, the nice thing is you can drop the temp of the water to near zero way more easily than you could with air. Imagine an insulated res( cooler)
with a couple of 2 litre pop bottles frozen, dropped into the cooler, like hevy gaming in summer, dropping the temps of the hot side way down
Put a hoody on the rad and all of a sudden your efficiency sky rockets

The cold side apogee gt would be implemented into your water cooling loop,
a totally separate loop.

There would likely be some condensation proofing needed, but nothing crazy as
I figure I'll be lucky to achieve anywhere near sub-zero temps. In fact , it will just be like having more water in the loop, like maybe 1 gallon. so temps are just going to take a long time to go up or down. Actual delta will be nominal. If air circulation in the case is good you might not even need condensation proofing.
But that's a big if!

I reckon, 3-5 degrees below ambient, water temps.
No, not setting the world on fire, but phase change is just too much of a worry.
This is easy and if done right could afford some extra!
At least if the pelt blows up, i still have water cooling, just not enhanced watercooling!