Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2011, 08:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Water Cooling Questions

Hi all,

I've been doing research, and I'd like to step into the arena of liquid cooling.

I was planning on using a Koolance 370 for CPU block, and a Laing D5 pump. My main focus is scalability and performance. I hope to make it a triumvirate with Redundancy and get a serial setup, but total cost is prohibitive, so it will be done in stages.

I was looking at the EK-D5 serial pump top, and on the website it mentioned "Due to available different tube diameters, this item is compatible only with EK-MULTIOPTION RES series (NOT RES X2)."

So keeping in tune with the scalability plan, I'd use an EK-Multioption Reservoir. Is this a good plan? Or are there better alternative serial products that might suit this application?

For the GPU block, my understanding is they're all the same except for when; "Company X's leaked on me so they're piles crap and avoid at all costs"

I'd also like implement VRM & chipset waterblocks. Those will be much later loop additions using universal blocks for scalability, such as a new motherboard at later date. What are the real downsides to such universal blocks?

As for radiators, I was thinking a Dual RAD to start off. What are the brands to consider and those to avoid?

Lastly, would there be anything wrong with using with 140mm-to-120mm adapters to mount a dual 140mm Rad to the top of a case that has dual 120mm fan holes? (hope that last sentence wasn't that painful to read)

Thanks for reading and for your patience. I look forward to hearing your suggestions and feedback.
Old September 29, 2011, 04:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

avoid EK full cover gpu

as to fan question if fan holes are side by side, no go unless 1 inside case an 1 outside

or try a kit that has your needs
Old September 29, 2011, 06:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

At this point, I wouldn't touch an EK Product. Until Eddy (EK owner) cleans up his act, he will see no more of my money - which is a shame, as many of their products where great. You could always use BitsPower D5 POM tops, or their duel D5 top. This way, you can use any reservoir you want. Ian Hall's IandH Stealth Res is my favorite, followed by BitsPower Z-Tank. I remember another member here, Lowfat, who has quite the extensive knowledge in water-cooling, and a trustful and valuable member here recommended the thicket Koolance ones. I havnt used a Koolance product since my 4870X2 block - which was crap.

For radiators, I personally love, and will always recommend the Hardware Labs Black Ice SR-1. Also, as of their release, AquaComputer makes a damn nice looking rad. their Aeroplex Modularity ones - just plain beautiful. I guess the ThermoChill TA, abd XSPC RX, and Watercool are good too. Like I mentioned, I don't trust EK.

I you can fit a 280mm (140.2) radiator with 120mm fans an adapters - do it! You'll have more surface area, and the adapters will create a kind of "shroud" :)

Oh and remember - distiller water plus silver!
Old September 29, 2011, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

For step by step approach, perhaps Koolance Rp452x2 will be better choice, because you can have one pump at first and add second pump later.

EK D5 dual serial top can be used with two pumps only, so you can't go away with one pump. You can screw acrylic tube (50mm or 60mm) to this top with special part called Link.

Your idea about using 140mm rad with adapter may work, but you need to watch for total thickness, so whole assembly won't hit your RAM modules.

Quality wise everybody have problems lately. Aquacomputer is especially bad recently with lack of QC and expensive RMA procedure. The only spotless manufacturer in our books is Watercool with Heatkillers, but they are quite expensive to get. Overall whatever you choose you have pretty much the same probability of being... unlucky?
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 2, 2011, 02:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
You could always use BitsPower D5 POM tops, or their duel D5 top. This way, you can use any reservoir you want. Ian Hall's IandH Stealth Res is my favorite, followed by BitsPower Z-Tank. I remember another member here, Lowfat, who has quite the extensive knowledge in water-cooling, and a trustful and valuable member here recommended the thicket Koolance ones. I havnt used a Koolance product since my 4870X2 block - which was crap.

For radiators, I personally love, and will always recommend the Hardware Labs Black Ice SR-1.

I you can fit a 280mm (140.2) radiator with 120mm fans an adapters - do it! You'll have more surface area, and the adapters will create a kind of "shroud" :)

Oh and remember - distiller water plus silver!
Bitspower DualPOM looks really nice. I've had my eye on the HWLabs Black Ice Radiators. I do like the glossy black. Although that shouldn't be the only reason to choose it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
For step by step approach, perhaps Koolance Rp452x2 will be better choice, because you can have one pump at first and add second pump later.

EK D5 dual serial top can be used with two pumps only, so you can't go away with one pump. You can screw acrylic tube (50mm or 60mm) to this top with special part called Link.

Your idea about using 140mm rad with adapter may work, but you need to watch for total thickness, so whole assembly won't hit your RAM modules.

Quality wise everybody have problems lately. Aquacomputer is especially bad recently with lack of QC and expensive RMA procedure. The only spotless manufacturer in our books is Watercool with Heatkillers, but they are quite expensive to get. Overall whatever you choose you have pretty much the same probability of being... unlucky?
I thought about the Koolance Rp452x2, but I'm not a big fan of bay reservoirs. Reading people's complaints of trying to bleed the Koolance Rp452x2 really didn't help either.
Old October 2, 2011, 03:02 PM

My System Specs

You won't be able to use 120mm to 140mm adapters unless you case was designed to use 140mm fans otherwise spacing will be incorrect (i.e. fans won't line up to holes on case).
Old October 2, 2011, 09:40 PM
Top Prospect

Honestly, I would stick to copper blocks and avoid plating. The Koolance CPU 370 is well designed block, but the plating is extremely thin on the microchannels. You can easily damage the plating on the microchannels just trying clean it.

I would avoid full cover chipset blocks for the time being. They can be rather difficult to install, and are a pain to clean. Full cover GPU blocks are slightly easier to install, but well worth effort in terms of thermal and noise reduction performance.

If you are interested in dual pumps, then you might as well start off with two and buy a dual top if you are considering a single loop. As far as reservoirs go, I have not found one that a like. I own 30 or so.
Old October 2, 2011, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by matari View Post
s far as reservoirs go, I have not found one that a like. I own 30 or so.
This is priceless. Same here.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 3, 2011, 08:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matari View Post
Honestly, I would stick to copper blocks and avoid plating. The Koolance CPU 370 is well designed block, but the plating is extremely thin on the microchannels. You can easily damage the plating on the microchannels just trying clean it.

I would avoid full cover chipset blocks for the time being. They can be rather difficult to install, and are a pain to clean. Full cover GPU blocks are slightly easier to install, but well worth effort in terms of thermal and noise reduction performance.

If you are interested in dual pumps, then you might as well start off with two and buy a dual top if you are considering a single loop. As far as reservoirs go, I have not found one that a like. I own 30 or so.
Yikes. Knowing my luck I'd probably scratch the plating too. A cheaper block would also make it easier to afford dual pumps from the get-go. I thinks it's time to revise my spreadsheet
Old October 3, 2011, 09:29 PM
Top Prospect

Don't get me wrong; Koolance 370 is great block and I'm sure you would be happy with it. Here is a pick of what I mean:

You can see the copper through the plating. The microchannels are so close I am sure the plater had issues with plating the base. It's to bad koolance does not provide a block with just a copper base. This block does block does so many other things correct. The mounting system is simple, very few parts. Mounting on AMD system is similar to intel. The block makes excellent contact Intel chips.

Last edited by matari; October 3, 2011 at 09:43 PM.