Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2008, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect

Being a person that doesn't like Peanut Butter(I have a jar thats unopen ~6 years old) how thick do you spread it on toast/bread to make the "Traditional North American peanut butter sandwich" is it anything like making a cream cheese bagel *from timmies*

My core temps are around 40c my room temps are around maybe 25c or just a little higher. I can open my window and let my room get cold and i can drop around, 30-32c. I'm using the Zalman 9700 and I use the the rice technique.
Old February 21, 2008, 05:57 PM
Top Prospect

If you put as much cream cheese that my local timmies does, your board would look like it blew a load out the CPU slot.

I think by peanut butter method they mean cover the CPU entirely with a layer of paste you spread on with your finger, its generally only a mm or so thick. This is how I always did it, until someone showed me the ' right ' way.
CASE: NZXT Lexa Blackline PSU : OCZ Gamestream 700w
Old February 21, 2008, 07:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Keir's right "Peanut Butter" may be a bad name since someone might take it as meaning to liberally spread. I meant it as a comment on the consistency of the TIM not the amount. You still want as little thermal paste/grease as possible it's only meant to fill the natural deformities in the metal that cause air pockets and prevent full contact not as a dividing medium.

Old February 21, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

On a IHS like the C2D I use glob about half the size of a grain of rice and spread with a razor. It ends up less than the thickness of a sheet of paper, almost transparent. When the HSF is mounted I wiggle it a bit to make sure the TIM smushes out a little more. I haven't tried the method of letting it spread itself out or smearing with a finger and saran but I'm sure the differences would be minimal.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water