Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Water disappearing from loop? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/45909-water-disappearing-loop.html)

chrisk August 25, 2011 01:57 PM

Water disappearing from loop?

Folks banging my head over this one.

My folding rig (see the "Foldy" specs in my system info) is a pretty simple setup. After I put the loop together about a year and a bit ago, I noticed last winter that the water levels in my EK tube 150 res had gone down to the point where air was being sucked into the pump (could hear the bubbles in the loop). So I checked for leaks, and refilled the res. Checked again and found no sign of a leak (ie wetness, or residue from the coolant). I use distilled with dazmode additive.

A month or so later, I tore down the loop and cleaned everything up. Assembled the loop, remembering that I somehow lost coolant prior. I was thinking evaporation, so I was careful to make sure everything was sealed tight and nothing was open. Also looked around the case to make sure there were no coolant stains etc (the dazmode additive left a white residue on another rig that I had that did in fact leak...no sign of it here).

Got home from summer vacation last week, and again heard bubbles flowing through the loop. Again, the res was almost empty. I cannot find a leak anywhere, and as far as I can tell no open gaps where water could evaporate, as far as I can tell of course.

What is going on here? Normal over 6-8 months? Only thing I can think is this is just an instance where I did not bleed air out of the loop good enough, and it eventually makes its way into the res?

Eldonko August 25, 2011 01:58 PM

Normal. I have to refill mine as often.

Keywork August 25, 2011 02:02 PM

As soon as I read the thread title I immediately thought evaporation but after reading, i'm not so sure. My loop has been running 24/7 since Christmas and i've MAYBE lost a millimeter or two in my res. Something is fishy here.... How warm do you keep your computer room out of curiosity? And is your res top screwed on tightly?

chrisk August 25, 2011 02:06 PM

Room is very warm (basement with small window, two computers folding 24/7, for weeks at a time...good ol UPSes). The main computer I have, with a similar setup, does not do this (or maybe just a tiny bit, if at all).

edit: evaporation through tubing? I forget the brand, but its the 1/2ID stuff daz sells.

ilya August 25, 2011 02:29 PM

Just get a bigger res or put in an extra res. It's probably evaporation.

Sagath August 25, 2011 02:32 PM

This is normal. Water can and will leave your loop, regardless of how well you make it air tight. Its not a matter of evaporation (though I doubt how well any of us seal our Res that they are actually 'air tight'), and I'm not 100% that the tubing is non-porous either. The water will break down eventually and leave the loop.

I work on this a lot with Dialysis. Obviously the mechanisms are different, but we learned about the issue in school with closed loop systems. I'd guess (napkin math pulled up from the back of my brain from school) that a closed loop water system would lose about 5% a month, but it could be higher, depending.

SugarJ August 25, 2011 02:33 PM

Got any elbows in your loop? I had an extremely slow leak in a 45 deg elbow once, so slow that it would evaporate before dripping. The only reason I figured it out was the accumulation of dye on the outside of the elbow.

chrisk August 25, 2011 02:37 PM

I thought about a very slow leak. I had a slow leak in my main rig that left a bit of white residue from the dazmode protector, and I cannot find any of the residue using the same stuff in the loop with missing coolant.

I am thinking it could be evaporation in the tubing. Maybe I'll tear this down again for a cleaning and take another look around.

_dangtx_ August 25, 2011 02:38 PM

if there are no signs of slow leakeage on the bottom,look up top there has to be an exist for the vapors.

probably nothing much since you should notice if it were more.

3.0charlie August 25, 2011 02:43 PM

Normal.

Evaporation.
Sweating through tubing.
Micro-leaks.

Fill, repeat.