Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2011, 03:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default QDC woes.

This weekend I went to swap out my GTX 480 for my 580 and cracked open my VL4N Koolance QDC and both sets had major leaks. One was terrible, the other was not as bad.

I always have my paper towel handy but for the cost of QDC and it being their sold purpose I was upset. I plugged them and moved quickly to finish my task and all was well. I figured they havent been opened in awhile and perhaps me being in a rush to begin with, had somehow done something wrong however unlikely that is. That was until I spotted Mia Hallen on XS with the same problem yet to a much greater degree.

Is it just me or is it RMA fest 2011? I mean, with failing plating, terribly cooled fets on super expensive fan controllers that are still in alpha phase/yet still being sold, failing QDC's ect. I think it is getting out of hand.

I will be emailing Koolance to see if pictures will suffice an RMA, cuz if I have to ship them off I will be removing them from my loop and eat the loss. Cheaper to retube them out of the loop and go without. Plus I am super sick of the whole RMA hoopla. Sounds like I will just receive a new set that will leak anyways.

Anyone else with QDC issues?

Do you have QDCs Lowfat? If yes any issues?
Old August 23, 2011, 04:30 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I had a pair of QDCs, and one would simply not disconnect. I had to cut the tubing, and it took a pair of pliers to finally disconnect the male from the female section...
Old August 24, 2011, 12:10 AM
Top Prospect

Yep, I am sick of RMA 2011. My rig is still in shambles because of EK. Now onto the topic, my friend uses QDC without any issues for approximately a year. I wonder if it is a bad batch or they cut cost somewhere. Koolance has done an ok job with RMA's recently; they auto send a new one without telling what the issue is.

Oh you forgot to mention that it is now a requirement to remove your motherboards heat sinks to make sure your thermal pads/paste are properly applied. The list goes on...

Last edited by matari; August 24, 2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old August 24, 2011, 12:37 AM

My System Specs

There seems to be a lot of issues w/ recent batches of QDC's from Koolance. There are threads on both XS and overclock.net discussing how most are leaking after being disconnected a few times.

What is even more silly is that Koolance expects you to mail the fittings back to them for an RMA. Talk about a waste of money for such a small fitting.
Old August 24, 2011, 10:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I had a pair of QDCs, and one would simply not disconnect. I had to cut the tubing, and it took a pair of pliers to finally disconnect the male from the female section...
Yikes. That would really suck. Did you RMA the pair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matari View Post
Yep, I am sick of RMA 2011. My rig is still in shambles because of EK. Now onto the topic, my friend uses QDC without any issues for approximately a year. I wonder if it is a bad batch or they cut cost somewhere. Koolance has done an ok job with RMA's recently; they auto send a new one without telling what the issue is.

Oh you forgot to mention that it is now a requirement to remove your motherboards heat sinks to make sure your thermal pads/paste are properly applied. The list goes on...
My fav RMA of the year is my Aquaero 5 XT. I got the batch with the .05oz alu heatsink and it cooked two fan channels and they wont let DAZ accept it and give me a replacement. I have to RMA all the way to Germany. I had another for a different build so I ordered the waterblocks and that is really the only way the thing is even remotely worth the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
There seems to be a lot of issues w/ recent batches of QDC's from Koolance. There are threads on both XS and overclock.net discussing how most are leaking after being disconnected a few times.

What is even more silly is that Koolance expects you to mail the fittings back to them for an RMA. Talk about a waste of money for such a small fitting.
I remember my first Bitspower rotary 45's (the fat ones) and they could just pop out of the base and leak the entire contents of your loop into your case. I emailed my invoice and they just sent replacements. That was impressive IMO.

I wish for this a pic and an invoice would be sufficient for replacement.
Old August 24, 2011, 11:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

My VL3's have been fine. No issues thus far and I've had them for about a year.
Old September 10, 2011, 12:32 PM
Top Prospect

6 pairs of VL4N, 2 months old, and all of them are having the same problem. The plunger doesn't retract fully, so they are all leaking.

I was really angry this morning. Bought those to have an easier time for changing parts in my loops, and I was caught by surprise with water everywhere when disconnecting those Koolance QDCs. What a mess.

There is definitely a problem with those latest QDCs. Koolance should really do something. They are useless, since they are not sealing properly.
Old September 23, 2011, 02:09 PM

My System Specs

And this is why I like Koolance. They aren't blaming the customer like EK would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolance View Post
We've found an issue after cutting open the bad fittings. The internal o-rings were a hair out of tolerance. This prevented the plunger from fully sealing when disconnected. Unfortunately, there's not a way to tell if a particular fitting is affected without disconnecting the male and female sides (a towel is recommended). Either the plunger surface won't sit flush with the inside, or if it's already installed, there could be continuous dripping.

We've screened our inventory and removed any other QDC's which exhibited the problem. Different styles of VL3N and VL4N fittings were affected, but the products aren't serialized so it's difficult to tell how recent the stock was.

If customers find they have VL3N or VL4N quick disconnects which leak when separated, please submit an RMA request (Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive). We'll need to know your part numbers, quantity, and invoice number/date. We'll take care of the shipping. If you've recently sent in QDC's for this problem, please contact our technical department (Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive) to obtain a refund on the original shipping and replacement fittings if needed.

We apologize for this issue and thank everyone for bringing it to our attention. O-rings are always a critical part and it's regrettable we didn't catch these when they arrived from our supplier.

Tim
All not well in QDC land....[Koolance QDC manufacturing problem?!?] - Page 3
Old September 23, 2011, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, thats great customer service right there.
Old September 23, 2011, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Makes me happy with my old Koolance VL4s that I never use anymore.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W