Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2008, 10:32 AM
Rookie

Default Radiator?

hey, sometime in the (hopefully) neer future I'm going to start a new project to build my dream computer, and it's going to have a LQ setup, this is what I have in mind so far

CpuBlock: D-TEK FuZion

chipset block : EK-NF4 REV. 1.1

pump: MCP655

res: homemade

I don't know about the gpu block though, becouse I'm planning on getting the 9800GX2 and I don't think they have waterblocks 4 it yet...

the processor will be a quad core Q6600 overclocked to about 3Ghz.
mobo the chipset is on is an nForce 650i

but the biggest thing for heat is, this is going to be in an almost air light container with 2 inputs to the rad, and one exoust thrue the psu (and the exoust and intake is going to be quite restricted due to mufflers)

now what kind of rad do you sugest, and should I get 1 dual rad, or 2 single rads and place them in difrent parts of the chain?

any tips/sugestions/comments would be greatly apreciated, thanks!!!

(ps. sorry about all the spelling mistakes )
Old February 12, 2008, 11:33 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Unfortunately I don't know much about water cooling, so I can't give you any advice on that point. One thing I can say is... you should be able to push that Q6600 well past 3Ghz. I was able to push mine up to 3.4Ghz on an air cooled set up.

Again, I apologize that I was unable to answer water cooling questions.

Last edited by Below_Cost; February 12, 2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: odd image tag appeared
Old February 12, 2008, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

A single dual-rad will offer less flow restriction than two singles, so if you've got the room for it, that would be the preferable approach. As for the brand, Swiftech will probably give you your best value for the money, but if you have some cash to burn, a Thermochill will do a slightly better job. If you don't mind high-powered fans, a Hardware Labs Black Ice Extreme will probably do an even better job.

As for water-cooling the 9800GX2, that's still up in the air. The most reliable photos we've seen so far (still nothing from Nvidia, though), have both PCB's facing inwards, which means that installing any aftermarket heatsinks, let alone waterblocks, will be a serious pain.

What's more, a dual-PCB graphics card + a quad-core is going to put out a fairly serious amount of heat. Technically, a dual rad could probably handle it, but you can pretty much forget about quiet fans in the process.
Old February 12, 2008, 01:17 PM
Rookie

Below_Cost: hey, all reply's apreciated :) my goal is to at least push 3ghz, out of it, if I can do more, and run it stable, and get a decent life expectancy out of it, great! i will, but I'm not gonna border line it :)

thanks again :)

MpG: Thanks alot :D I don't exactly have money to burn, but I am planning to make it last, so I'm going to have a looksy at how much performace gains I'll get between those 3, and then decide

as for the card, it dosn't look to hard to dismantal, a few screws and a ribbon cable, and both of them facing inwards would meen I can get away with just one block, (so I wont need to kink any tubed to get on both sides.

yes, I am well aware of the heat issue (that's why I'm going LQ) and noise is a huge concern for me (this computer will be used for recording as well as gaming) so I'll see if I can get some reliable high volume, low noise fans...hmm.

thanks for the reply though!! :D
Old February 12, 2008, 04:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

Dunno about the two fan ones, but the 3 fan Swiftech's are pretty damn good. Have my 8800GT and AMD 64 6000 overclocked and I've only been able to stress them to 40*c after HEAVY (read; benchmarking) loads. I know people swear by Thermochill and the Black Ice, but for the price, I'm completely happy with the Swiftech, as it's been giving me great temps.
Old February 12, 2008, 06:39 PM
Rookie

right now, after looking around a bit mor I think I'm leaning towards the thermochill beouse this one seams to cover more surface erea
ThermoChill PA120.2 Dual 120mm Radiator - FrozenCPU.com

though I like the price swiftech ALOT more... anyone know how many *c difrence I can expect about? (if it's less than 8* or so, I'm not gonna be botherd forking out the extra $$
Old February 12, 2008, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_black View Post
right now, after looking around a bit mor I think I'm leaning towards the thermochill beouse this one seams to cover more surface erea
ThermoChill PA120.2 Dual 120mm Radiator - FrozenCPU.com

though I like the price swiftech ALOT more... anyone know how many *c difrence I can expect about? (if it's less than 8* or so, I'm not gonna be botherd forking out the extra $$
Well if you go with the TC dont forget to get a set of their barbs and they arent a dual pack. so you will have to order x2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 12, 2008, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Based the manufacturers respective thermal graphs, I'm going to guesstimate the difference at 2-3 degrees. If you pull the fans down very low (i.e. 600-900 rpm), you'd see the Thermochill pulling ahead further, but I don't think you can really afford to go that slow with those components.

But if you do go for the Thermochill, NCIX has them in stock right now. No sense dealing with US shipping if you don't have to.
Old February 12, 2008, 08:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

In my opinion the ThermoChill Rad is not worth the money, but than again it's just my opinion, you can buy a lot of watercooling parts for $120.

I only have my Ati 1900xtx watercooled and not the CPU, I bought the Magicool Slim 240 dual 120MM rad and it works great, and it only cost $30

With the 1900xtx overclocked to 688/792 and stock fan @ 100% temp was 81C.
Watercooled with the above Rad overclocked to 729/846 max temp is 45C.

With the results I got and the price you can't go wrong, how much lower can the ThermoChill rad be for the price tag on it.
Video Card: Nvidia 8800GT
Harddisk: 2 x Western digital
CD/DVD Drive: Asus
Monitor: LG Flatron W2353V
Case: Thermaltake Armor
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy
PSU: Thermaltake TWV 500W
Software: Windows 7