Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2011, 06:26 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Nope. This has absolutely nadda to do with NCIX but a spat between HardOCP and an advertiser is really nothing new. No, this has to do with some odd hate Kyle has for HWC itself.

Months ago Kyle began blocking links to HWC supposedly due to us not respecting NDAs. It was surprising since we mistakenly jumped the gun on only two articles (Z68 mobo launch and GTX 570 review) due to a reoccurring system screw up but no other explanation was forthcoming. Heck, I even searched back through my thousands of posts to see if I happened to have said something to offend his delicate sensibilities but couldn't find anything.

So, after months and months of us waiting for him to begin allowing links to HWC on his site without a change, we really have no choice at this point. Once linkbacks are allowed on H again, I have absolutely no problem opening up our own linkbacks but at this point, it can't be a one-way street.
Old August 6, 2011, 07:56 AM
Banned
F@H

or you could allow links and separate men from pssies? :)

either way,keep up the work you've been doing so far and it should be all rite :)
Old August 7, 2011, 06:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Picked up my H100 on Friday and got a chance to install it yesterday.
It's a pretty solid cooler, does a good job of keeping my 2600k@4.5GHz under 60C after 12 hrs of Prime95. I can't comment on the noise levels as my 650D's included fan controller decided to die on me, so all my case and GPU fans are running full tilt and drown out the H100.

Now with regards to the H100 installation, I do have some complaints, the included mounting bracket is pretty crap. There are no grooves to move the actual mounting bolt to support the different sockets. So essentially you're sliding it while trying to place it behind the motherboard and line up all the holes. It's a good thing the 650D has an opening for the backplate, otherwise, it would be an even worse process. Also, I found the mounting posts that secure into the plate to be a little loose, no matter how tight I screwed them in (by hand). Once the cooler itself was secured to the backplate, they seemed to be more rigid, but I'm still not too pleased with this. I also found the hoses to be a little too stiff and not as flexible as I'd like, but this could also mean that they'll last longer and won't leak. Last complaint I have is that the molex cable is far too short, making cable management tougher than before with my 212+.

Overall though, I'm quite pleased with the cooler, it's pretty clean looking and it's nice not having this monstrous block of a heatsink on my CPU anymore. This also means I can now go to 16GB (which I bought at the same time), so I'm pretty set from a memory stand point with this rig now.
Old August 7, 2011, 12:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

What were your temps like on the 212+? Starting to lean towards the H100...its $95.25 at Direct Canada, and definitely won't get in the way of Corsair Vengeance ram.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 7, 2011, 12:51 PM
Banned
F@H

question is, is it really worth it to buy a 100 dollar cooler when a 50 dollar one will do the same jobbe,on air,and just as quietly perhaps? :)
Old August 7, 2011, 12:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
What were your temps like on the 212+? Starting to lean towards the H100...its $95.25 at Direct Canada, and definitely won't get in the way of Corsair Vengeance ram.
The 212+ was probably about 5-10C hotter, at most I would say.
So a slight improvement with the H100, but I now have room to go 4 DIMMs and no big weight on the motherboard anymore.

I also paid $95.25 via price match to DC at NCIX.

To me it's worth it because I just get a cleaner overall look and it's easier to work around the CPU socket.
Old August 7, 2011, 01:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

You running just the stock fans, or did you add any?

I have the same board you do. I also have either 8 GB of Ripjaws X @1600 or 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 to work with and there aren't many air coolers that will work with tall spreaders. To me $95 for this is a good deal, since some of the better air coolers are fairly close to that price.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 7, 2011, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Question for you H80/H100 users: How tall is the block? I've been looking for something that won't obstruct airflow to my mosfets/vrms since downdraft coolers aren't an option. I know the Coolit Eco block is a tad too high for me though.
Old August 8, 2011, 07:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
You running just the stock fans, or did you add any?

I have the same board you do. I also have either 8 GB of Ripjaws X @1600 or 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 to work with and there aren't many air coolers that will work with tall spreaders. To me $95 for this is a good deal, since some of the better air coolers are fairly close to that price.
Can't add fans as there isn't room in the 650D to go push/pull sadly, but with regards to the fans, I'm using two Gentle Typhoon AP-15's instead of the stock Corsairs.

@ilya, I'll try to get an idea of the size of the block for you tonight, but it didn't look big to me.
Old August 9, 2011, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just got mine in today and I'm thinking I will install it tonight. Height of the block is about 1.5"

Now to just decide what fans to use, stock or something else.