Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 23, 2011, 06:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Flow Rate?

What is a good flow rate? I am using a koolance inline flow meter and it tells me it varies between 3.2-3.4 L/m. Is there such a thing as too much? I am also wondering if pressure would be too high. I have 2xDDC in serial.

I had a leak (my fault, bad angle on the tubing), so now I am waiting on some fittings to correct this. It leaked after I let it run for about 14hours lol. I was sitting here going "well I guess I can put my drives back in and create my RAID array, then I look over and there was a splash on my window. Then the mad scramble for the power button ensued. Nothing hit anything electronic, thankfully.
Old July 23, 2011, 06:50 PM

My System Specs

3200mL/m is around 0.84 U.S. GPM. Which is far from being too much. Generally around 1GPM is what people strive for but unless you only have a single block in the loop that is nearly impossible w/ a single pump. However you are running two, if you unplug one of the does the flow meter show a decrease in flow rate?

Are you using barbs or compressions? Unless you are using barbs w/ clamps you definitely got to be careful on the tubing bends and tightness.
Old July 23, 2011, 07:52 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I am using compression fittings. Once I get the adapters/spacers etc I ordered, everything will be straight for the most part. Very minimal tubing bends.

I ran 1 pump into 360radCPU>360rad>2xGPU block and it was much slow, dont know exactly how much, but visually the spinner on the Res was much slower. With the 2 pumps I go from pumps>360rad>CPU>RamBlock>Full mobo Block>360rad>2xGPU.
Old July 23, 2011, 08:06 PM

My System Specs

O I didn't notice you had the ram block and fullcover. Then 0.84 GPM is pretty normal w/ a setup like that an two pumps. Are you keeping the GPU's in parallel or series? Parallel may increase flow over the CPU slightly which might be a tad beneficial to CPU temps.
Old July 23, 2011, 08:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

GPUs are in serial. In the future I'll go parallel as I hear it is better.
Old August 2, 2011, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

I did a test last year and had a similar flow rate levels.

http://www.dazmode.com/_Reviews/2010/FLOWTESTi7.htm
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old August 10, 2011, 11:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Is 2.3 LPM a decent flow rate for a CPU/ 2x GPUs in serial? Or should i be thinking about adding another pump to my loop? At full speed its 3.3 LPM but thats a little loud IMO.
Old August 10, 2011, 11:24 PM

My System Specs

2.3LPM isn't too bad but it is definitely less than optimal. It is suggested that you generally want around 1GPM. You'd gain one to two degrees better temps on the CPU. Although adding another pump will add a bit more heat from the pump dumping heat in to the loop.