Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default HW Labs Radiators

So my budding is thinking of selling me his watercooling setup which comes with a 2x120mm HW Labs rad.

Curious how are these for efficiency and cooling?
Old February 8, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Which model? HWLabs has about half a dozen different variations.
Old February 8, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Which model? HWLabs has about half a dozen different variations.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ardware%20Labs

this guy.
Old February 8, 2008, 04:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

If the price is right, and the system load is appropriate for a dual-rad, I'd go for it. If you're running faster fans (say, 1600rpm or higher), there are probably better rads out there, but I know the stealths are pretty solid performers.

The concept behind the Stealth was that they went from the old 15-20fpi fin density up to 30fpi. Normally, this would completely bugger the restriction, but they compensated by making the fin material almost half the thickness. Coupled with the entire rad core being only about an inch thick, air pressure drop isn't supposed to be that bad. On the other hand, the thin core is going to somewhat limit how much heat it can exchange, but supposedly the high fin count should help compensate for this.

In the (somewhat infamous, now) original tests that helped put the Thermochill rads on top, the GT model pretty much held a solid 2nd/3rd place in the 900 and 1200rpm categories.
Old February 8, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
If the price is right, and the system load is appropriate for a dual-rad, I'd go for it. If you're running faster fans (say, 1600rpm or higher), there are probably better rads out there, but I know the stealths are pretty solid performers.

The concept behind the Stealth was that they went from the old 15-20fpi fin density up to 30fpi. Normally, this would completely bugger the restriction, but they compensated by making the fin material almost half the thickness. Coupled with the entire rad core being only about an inch thick, air pressure drop isn't supposed to be that bad. On the other hand, the thin core is going to somewhat limit how much heat it can exchange, but supposedly the high fin count should help compensate for this.

In the (somewhat infamous, now) original tests that helped put the Thermochill rads on top, the GT model pretty much held a solid 2nd/3rd place in the 900 and 1200rpm categories.
Well I'm getting a used water cooling loop for about $120 which to me is a good deal but then I have to look at what was bought and how I can use without having to spend a bunch to upgrade it before I can use it efficiently haha.

Do you think this rad coupled with a few nf-p12s would be able to efficiently cool just a cpu?
Old February 8, 2008, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Just a CPU? Using the Noctua's? Seriously, you're laughing. I honestly don't see why that combination shouldn't be able to handle 200W of heat. And if you're running a dual-core, you might even be able to use those in-line resistors on the fans...
Old February 8, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Just a CPU? Using the Noctua's? Seriously, you're laughing. I honestly don't see why that combination shouldn't be able to handle 200W of heat. And if you're running a dual-core, you might even be able to use those in-line resistors on the fans...
Perfect! Well heres to hoping I get it... I may even get a couple of those good ole Scythe Kaze fans if I get the kit.
Old February 8, 2008, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

The Kazes? Not for the rad, I hope? If you're talking about the 1000rpm Ultra Kaze's, I've seen several disappointing reviews on them (including one on this site). Whereas the Slipstream Kaze's are very definitely meant as case fans, since they have poor static pressure.
Old February 8, 2008, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
The Kazes? Not for the rad, I hope? If you're talking about the 1000rpm Ultra Kaze's, I've seen several disappointing reviews on them (including one on this site). Whereas the Slipstream Kaze's are very definitely meant as case fans, since they have poor static pressure.
Well its just I have a 3000rpm Kaze right now, but if you say reviews have shown they aren't very good even tho they are supposed to be good for high static pressure then i''d just go back to the nf-p12s
Old February 8, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

The 2000 and 3000rpm versions seem to do better. The fan seems to need some rpm before it really starts to work properly, and 1000 just isn't quite enough. Case in point: this site's own review of the Noctua fan had a single Noctua beating out TWO Ultra 1000's in push-pull. And if you're willing to play up in the 3000rpm range, I see higher static pressure ratings from the Delta's and Panaflo's.