Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2011, 07:43 PM
Top Prospect

Default Q: Radiator and Fans

Simple question; what impact does a fan's hub have on overall performance? I thought about strapping my San Ace H1011 on a HW GTX Extreme 360. The radiator will live in my 800D, so I have not room for a shroud. Now, I have TFC shrouds and Gentle Typhoons (AP-15). I am wondering what the difference will between the Aces and Typhoons + shrouds. I am wondering if the Aces are worth the noise. Any ideas?
Old July 13, 2011, 08:17 AM
Top Prospect

I personally don't think any fan is worth it for the noise when used in a personal computer... it's not healthy to be constantly exposed to high levels of sound in a consistent manner especially for something like a home PC which very well could be quiet.
Old July 13, 2011, 08:37 AM
Top Prospect

We are told that Gentle typhoons are the best, and we know from review that they push more air through a radiator than most other fans due to high static pressure. What we don'T know is how that translate into watts dissipated. What I would like to be able to do is compare two fans that are similar; same size, same rpm ect. Is it really wort spending the extra $10 per fan? For me, there was no noticeable difference between Typhoons (AP-14) and Gelid Wing Gammer (UV Blue). The Gelids were a bit louder, but there was no noticeable difference in thermal temperature.
Old July 13, 2011, 04:52 PM
Top Prospect

Well logically, the larger the hub the less overall area for fan blades there will be. Simple to figure out. The benefit to a larger hub is the fact that there can be a larger motor installed, which should translate to higher torque, and higher RPM's sustained when back-pressure is induced. There may also be a benefit to noise, but this isn't always true. Larger motors of course don't under-volt as well.

So, as we can see with the GentleTyphoons, they have a larger motor hub than most of the other fans. They make up for this somewhat by increasing the blade count, and the angle of the blades. Also, it is a higher torque motor so it allows the use of more, and heavier blades (less blade flex, so you can use more aggressive attack) which translates to higher static pressure. However, the GentleTyphoons need more RPM to do the same as a fan with larger and deeper (less shallow height wise) blades. It's all a trade off.

The extra money you're spending on fans should amount to a mix between performance, and longevity. The GT fans are rebranded fans intended for server usage under 'extreme' conditions, and have an extremely solid and heavy duty design to them. These NoiseBlocker fans I have, are VERY good. Much better than GT's if your concern is noise... the great thing about a noise optimized first fan, is that you're able to run them at higher RPM than comparable fans, which negates any potential performance loss. Everything is a trade off - but, you ALWAYS get what you pay for outside of some of that TFC rebranded crap like the Triebwerks fans that are severely overpriced most of the time you see them listed.

For me, these NB Multiframes I have provide me with the same performance as my GT's (cannot tell the difference in real world usage) and I can also run them at 200-300rpm higher per fan than I ever could with the GT's and still have a more comfortable sound profile. You may prefer other fans... but what I'm saying is, generally speaking if you're really concerned about noise... this is what you'll generally pay more for as the difference between a bunch of fans at 1,000rpm for example can only be so much with a 120mm fan ....
Old July 13, 2011, 06:29 PM
Top Prospect

Yes noise is a concern, but my space is limited and it is not possible to have three a 3 + radiator setup that is needed to have the performance I want. So I choose to use higher RPM fans to make up the difference. Also, I want a fan that is visually pleasing and those gt's are fuggly. If using random fan A with similar RPM and dBA as gt's does not have a big impact on thermal performance, then there is no point in using gt's.
Old July 13, 2011, 09:00 PM
Top Prospect

I personally don't like GT's either. I own 12 of them... only using 2 now which are devoted to vertical case fans; 6 NoiseBlocker Multiframes (their most expensive 'reference class' fans) are on my two radiators. I run these down at 800rpm and it's way more than enough. You can run 3 of these up at 1,000 to 1,200rpm no problem and you get ample airflow and excellent acoustics (as a matter of fact, I have no motor noise... but a lot of 'whoosh' from the air movement up at 1,200rpm). The GT's are not all they are cracked up to be, and not nearly as good looking as these fans I have now.