Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2011, 11:14 PM
Rookie

Smile Safety precautions & Maintenance

Hey there, as some of you might know I am building my first WC rig and I was just had some questions regarding the thread topic. In specific, I was wondering if there are any precautions I should know of in regards to how I should go about putting the rig together? Is there any chance a tube will come off after the rig has been tested for leaks(I will be using compression fittings for everything but the res/pump)? I have read that that there is some necessary maintenance required once a while so I was wondering exactly what the maintenance required is and how often it should be done? Atm those are the questions I can think of but I may post more as I think of them :P

Thanks everyone in advance!
Old July 10, 2011, 11:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Once your compressions and elbows are tight and not leaking, they shouldn't start leaking unless perhaps you move the tubing/blocks. There's always a (slim) chance of tubing coming loose. I had a zap-strapped tube pop off after rearranging parts one time. That cost me a mobo and CPU.

As for maintenance, tear down the loop every 6 months, change the fluid, and clean the blocks.
Old July 10, 2011, 11:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

No worries about tubing popping out of compression fittings. They grip the tubing very well. Just remember that when you tighten them down, they might not screw all the way down, but that is normal. Just depends on the tubing and fitting. Better compression fittings than barbs imo.

As far as maintenance goes, I think it all depends on what you are putting in the loop in terms of additives (dyes, etc). Someone better at this than me will tell you.
Old July 10, 2011, 11:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Another tip.....Once you have everything tubed up and ready to go, go through all fittings and make sure they are tight enough, but not cranked so hard that they break or strip whatever they are in (block etc).
Old July 10, 2011, 11:33 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the feed back guys, any little bit really does help. I did think of one more question, what's the likelihood of a pump going bad? Are there any precautions I can take against that sort of thing?
Old July 10, 2011, 11:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Assemble your loop, and run it outside your rig. Wrap each joint with paper towel, and check back every couple of hours. If it makes it overnight with no leaks, you're good to go.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old July 10, 2011, 11:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
Assemble your loop, and run it outside your rig. Wrap each joint with paper towel, and check back every couple of hours. If it makes it overnight with no leaks, you're good to go.
After I assemble it and tested it as you've mentioned should I un assemble it before putting it in my rig or just kind of contort it in? Sorry if it's a stupid/obvious question.
Old July 10, 2011, 11:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto View Post
Thanks for all the feed back guys, any little bit really does help. I did think of one more question, what's the likelihood of a pump going bad? Are there any precautions I can take against that sort of thing?

You can go with 2 pumps in serial. Costs more money, but if one goes down at least you have another going.

Have you decided on what parts you want to go with? I just built my first WC rig about 2 months ago and so far so good. I read on forums for about a month before going for it.

If you post what parts you want to go with, the lovely people on this forum are more than helpful with tips etc.
Old July 10, 2011, 11:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto View Post
After I assemble it and tested it as you've mentioned should I un assemble it before putting it in my rig or just kind of contort it in? Sorry if it's a stupid/obvious question.
I usually just disassemble it and mount everything.

Make sure that when you are attaching tubing, don't leave any counterclockwise torque or you might find a fitting unscrewing itself

Also: Having dual pumps in serial isn't as good as parallel IMO for a computer WC loop, especially for redundancy

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old July 10, 2011, 11:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
You can go with 2 pumps in serial. Costs more money, but if one goes down at least you have another going.

Have you decided on what parts you want to go with? I just built my first WC rig about 2 months ago and so far so good. I read on forums for about a month before going for it.

If you post what parts you want to go with, the lovely people on this forum are more than helpful with tips etc.
I have read that I can run 2 pumps but money is a bit tight as this rig is for a client and he's setting the spending limit. Are there any other measurements I can take?

As for the parts list:

90-Degree Black Compression Fitting - 7/16" to 5/8" BP-MB90R2LCP
Watercool HEATKILLER« GPU-X│ 69X0
XSPC 7/16 ID 5/8 OD High Flex Tube 1ft - UV Orange-Red
Straight Black Compression Fitting - 7/16" to 5/8"BP-MBCPF-CC6
Rasa 750 RS360 Complete CPU WaterCooling Kit

All being bought from Daz, if anyone has any suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
Make sure that when you are attaching tubing, don't leave any counterclockwise torque or you might find a fitting unscrewing itself
What do you mean counterclockwise torque?