Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2011, 12:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
I usually just disassemble it and mount everything.

Make sure that when you are attaching tubing, don't leave any counterclockwise torque or you might find a fitting unscrewing itself

Also: Having dual pumps in serial isn't as good as parallel IMO for a computer WC loop, especially for redundancy
I thought Martin did some tests and having a pump die and run directly thought a serial pump lost very little flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto View Post
I have read that I can run 2 pumps but money is a bit tight as this rig is for a client and he's setting the spending limit. Are there any other measurements I can take?

As for the parts list:

90-Degree Black Compression Fitting - 7/16" to 5/8" BP-MB90R2LCP
Watercool HEATKILLER« GPU-X│ 69X0
XSPC 7/16 ID 5/8 OD High Flex Tube 1ft - UV Orange-Red
Straight Black Compression Fitting - 7/16" to 5/8"BP-MBCPF-CC6
Rasa 750 RS360 Complete CPU WaterCooling Kit

All being bought from Daz, if anyone has any suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them!

What do you mean counterclockwise torque?

Counterclockwise torque meaning that once connected it can allow the fitting to come unseated and lose the seal of the Oring and leak.

Always take notice of the natural manufacturing bend of the tube into account. When making your run connections being sure to alway make the hop with the natural bend in a fashion that doesnt allow the barb to unscrew.

Also when using oring fittings be sure not to over tighten. I work with 10,000 to 80,000 PSI hydraulics and you would be surprised how little torque is needed to secure your connections with an oring seal. Way easier to over tighten then under.
Old July 11, 2011, 01:31 AM

My System Specs

I would suggest doing a leak test inside the case w/ everything mounted properly. Most of the time leaks are going to happen around the fittings anyways. So testing it outside of the case is pretty pointless IMO. Install all your gear but not hook up the power supply to anything besides the pump. Jump start the power supply and bleed the loop and check for leaks. You will notice right away it something is leaking. It it does, tighten the fitting, blow dye your equipment and try again.

And listen to what turtletrax is saying about the tubing. A sticky tubing like Primoflex can easily loosen a fitting enough for it to leak.
Old July 11, 2011, 06:16 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yeah your are right. Pumps in serial would have restricted flow if one quit. Checked out the internals on my spare DDC and the stationary impeller would slow the flow right down.

See, pays to read up
Old July 11, 2011, 09:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
Yeah your are right. Pumps in serial would have restricted flow if one quit. Checked out the internals on my spare DDC and the stationary impeller would slow the flow right down.

See, pays to read up

Actually I remember reading Martins review of the RP-402X2 and he said impact on running the set-up with two pumps installed and one not on impacted flow minimally. I guess the only reason I remember it is my Aquaero 5 just lost a fan channel so that means I only have one pump running and temps are not bad at all.

Edit: I would also make the customer very clear on your obligations regarding maintenance of the loop, by this I mean none. Make sure he knows that the loop must be cleaned and liquid changed at intervals that you both agree too. This way if he doesnt maintain the loop, it is at his expense to repair any issues that arise. I only mention this because the first loop I built for a customer I mentioned the cleaning of the rads (every month or so) and maintenance of blocks and fluid. He then came back after 2.5 years with only blowing the rads out maybe 5 times and only adding to the res. It was completely trashed except the pump. he started to hint at warranty and I had to stop him quickly and the only thing I had was the conversation we had to lean on. Good thing he was a family friend or could have gone south quickly. Now I give a small disclaimer along with a schedule with all the cleaning information.

Last edited by turtletrax; July 11, 2011 at 03:18 PM.