Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2011, 11:06 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you want red, grab a few of the Enermax Magma's (I think that's what they're called...) or for all black, the Scythe S-Flex series. I use the scythe's myself for all my rads.
Old July 10, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Xpress Canada - Scythe GentleTyphoon 120x120x25mm (1150rpm) Chassis Fan (D1225C12B3AP-13)
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1150RPM 37CFM @ 18db Silent Fan Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1150RPM 37CFM @ 18db Silent Fan [D1225C12B3AP-13] - $18.99 : DazMode, The Best Canadian PC Watercooling and Modding Store!

1450's are out of stock everywhere, I hear the next Canadian shipments are scheduled for fall this year. Still a few places with a few 1850's left though.

Thing about the GT's is that despite having a huge operating voltage range, they undervolt very poorly. All sorts of random noises at specific voltages and bearing noise is always present at low speeds. Anybody looking for a dead silent system should stay away, they always have some sort of noise present.

That said, the GT's are still one of my favourite fans, especially for radiator applications. With a decent shroud most of the bearing noise can be "masked" or "hidden" at low voltages. In my own experience the GT's IMHO have superior static pressure and CFM in real life loads compared to most fans out there.

Noiseblockers should only be used for their superior acoustic properties, I find that they present with too much airflow leakage at low RPMs on high static loads. However, they do perform adequately.

I'm always wary of review sites that use digital anemometers to rate fans based on a digital measurement of CFM, that value can be too easily skewed by something as simple as ambient air density. Not to mention it's a worthless value for real life cooling loads. A fan's performance should be measured via hydraulic manometer with variable static loads for the fan IMHO. (variables for actual temperature testing are much more difficult to control IMO)

However if availability/price becomes too much of an issue for the OP, you can try Silverstone AP121's in push/pull. Single fan push or pull barely offers adequate performance in my experience with them, but they are surprisingly quiet fans. (you'll have to tinker with fan speeds to avoid "whistling" in your rad though)
Old July 10, 2011, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

The loudest thing in this case will be my RD-30 (which might not get used... a 40dB pump is LOUD). might use two D5's instead.

Those magmas seem deece.
Old July 10, 2011, 12:19 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
If you want red, grab a few of the Enermax Magma's (I think that's what they're called...) or for all black, the Scythe S-Flex series. I use the scythe's myself for all my rads.
Name:  10-24-2010 12-58-32 AM.png
Views: 598
Size:  96.3 KB
Old July 10, 2011, 01:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
I can't find a single retailer with GT's, let alone thirteen of them. I'm not going to run the 1850 ones either. Seein how theyd be undervolted anyways, might as well get the GT-1450
I just saw on Daz's website that he has 11 of the GT 1850 fans in stock (at the time of this posting), only need 2 more to complete the job.
I also saw that he has Triebwerk 55mm fans on sale this month TFC - Triebwerk 55mm Optimized Radiator Fan Shroud 61CFM @ 21dB Triebwerk - Ultimate Cooling Fan [TK-121] - $19.99 : DazMode, The Best Canadian PC Watercooling and Modding Store! they're the low speed version (680-1200 RPM), but only has a few left..." 193 Units in Stock "

Homer J. Simpson
Old July 10, 2011, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm going with the (((Noise Blocker))) fans. I know they are expensive, but reviews say good things, and everyone that owns them say they are great :D