Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2011, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
I know myself, the main reason to watercool was to gain max performance. However, after completing my setup, it has become more of an addiction. I enjoy tearing it apart and starting over. That may be my personality though as I enjoy doing the same with computers in general. I enjoy building computers from the ground up and have a constant itch to do so.

Since I put my loop together in the spring, I have rebuilt it three times and have also setup full loops on two other systems just because I was bored. :P Yes it's expensive, but all the hobbies I chose are whether it be watercooling/computers, car audio or paintballing. Each hobby has put me well above the $2-3000 mark.

Will I continue watercooling? Yes. Every chance I get. I tried a couple different AIO solutions and I didn't get that same tingle while putting it together and seeing the end result. The only thing that slows me down is money. :S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Innovation wise, yea, I agree with Linus, its dead. Not much left to be to be frank.

Back in the Cather days, a lot of stuff was still home made, with a few "serious" small time shops such as DangerDen, and full of mostly hobbyists without much knowledge beyond the basic(surface area, flow rates, galvanic corrosion, etc). Then a few smart folk started to take a scientific approach to things and some real innovations came about(jet impingement, etc). Cather wasn't actually the first great innovator, but both him and his designs were some of more well known and among the best performing ones(The Storm G4, eventually bought and then sold(as well as more well known) by Swiftech).

After that, there was a small lull, and then the D-Tek Fusion came about. Since then we've had mostly evolutions on the D-Tek design, with a few more minor innovations(HK3.0 and EK Supreme) that came from that D-Tek and Storm design.

I see the number of WaterCooled systems growing, but the market for whole new systems shrinking none the less, because of that inherent lack of innovation leading to the allowance of a great deal of reuse.

To be honest, I think the lack of innovation is due to the fact that performance wise we are near the end of the road, there's very few gains left to be had. At the very least, all the low lying fruit(solutions) are gone and only small incremental increases in performance are left to be had.
pretty much sums it up but still WC'ing has benefits over air designs. silent....... who is the real innovator
Old July 12, 2011, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
pretty much sums it up but still WC'ing has benefits over air designs. silent....... who is the real innovator
Water cooling is not THAT silent. Proper fans with a air heat sink and you'll have about the same audible levels.
Old July 12, 2011, 01:55 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Water cooling is not THAT silent. Proper fans with a air heat sink and you'll have about the same audible levels.
Considerably more surface area on a radiator than any heatsink. Meaning you could always have lower speed fans with watercooling.
Old July 12, 2011, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
with geo-cooling it is fanless
Old July 12, 2011, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Considerably more surface area on a radiator than any heatsink. Meaning you could always have lower speed fans with watercooling.
Yes and by that it basically boils down to having the proper fans whether you're water cooling or air cooled.
Old July 12, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Part of the appeal of the WC loop is being able to show off your work
I'm quoting this because it bears repeating. Some folks - myself included - care about the aesthetics of their machines. A nice, tidy cable management job is all well and good, but when you see a super-tight loop like the stuff Daz puts together in his lab, that's when a computer transcends computing and becomes art.

Yes, a full custom loop will generally cool better than air cooling, but the disparity between the two isn't what it once was. I find that I don't see as many utilitarian loops around these days as I did five years ago because air does a good enough job at that in most instances; nowadays more builders are focused on the aesthetic aspect. And this is reflected in the fact that five years ago, there were hardly any cases on the market with window side panels, whereas nowadays, there are tonnes.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old July 12, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

I doubt that WC will go full mainstream or becomes mandatory for a computer builders. This is pretty much an elite computer modding hobby and as with any hobby it may or may not appeal to a particular person.

I tear my system apart every few months because I like building process and it calms me down. I don't even bother overclock and I really annoyed with my wife's noisy i7 rig on air (stock parts). Does it means that everybody are like me? I don't think so.

It is true that there is not much revolutionary changes, but whole thing evolves all the time. Overall WC is now somewhat easier then it was 2 years ago and it cost much less then it used to be.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old July 12, 2011, 05:31 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I agree, somewhat. Watercooling if you're just doing the CPU isn't any more silent than one of the oversized tower -air- coolers with a high quality 'silent' fan. That is, if you're running Sandy Bridge or not overclocking any of the i7's or still have an older Core2 cpu. One of my other systems actually runs more quietly than this extremely noise optimized main systems I have -- but only because it's running a stock speed i7 with a massive tower cooler and 2 NoiseBlocker fans running at 600rpm. Stays well within spec, and matched with a fanless GPU and even Powersupply... it beats the hell out of my watercooling system for silence.

My WC'ed system has a PSU fan, 6 radiator fans and 2 exhaust fans. All of the fans are NoiseBlocker multiframes, running at 700rpm and less with a fully sound deadened case and isolated pump etc. and is VERY silent, but still you can't forget I have a total of 9 fans in the system so it's never going to be as quiet as a lower-end air cooled system like the one above.

WC makes a difference, and IMO is ONLY worth it if you have the top-of-the-line equipment, and especially the latest GPU's are just not worth having without being watercooled - way too noisy.
Old July 12, 2011, 06:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
WC makes a difference, and IMO is ONLY worth it if you have the top-of-the-line equipment.
What a pile of fud.
Old July 12, 2011, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok ok ok... it's also worth it if you have generation old top-of-the-line equipment that is power hungry and want to overclock the snot out of it to squeeze out a longer life.

:)