Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2011, 10:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I think there are allot of contributing causes to the perceived decline in water.

#1 is the economy. People just dont bust the cheddar they used to on things like this.

#2 is lack of enthusiast parts. SB walls on air so no real benifits.

#3 is other huge upgrades that have come along that have nothing to do with cooling. Stick an SSD in any ICH9R and up mobo and see huge gains, rather than a few vantage points from clocking up.

#4 is innovation threshold that has happened in watercooling. As I see it the last cool thing introduced was QDC's. That and there is little performance increases to be had (that is until Feser releases their white elephant rad).

My $0.02

Edit: All that being said, I dont think watercooling is anywhere near dead or on the road to it.

Last edited by turtletrax; July 9, 2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old July 10, 2011, 08:48 AM
Top Prospect

I think people who really value their ears with high-end equipment will still hang onto watercooling setups with multiple rads and a full-system setup. Air cooling can't match the noise levels you can achieve on the high end gear.

For a lower powered multimedia PC however, air cooling can actually beat out water cooling noise-wise. In my opinion, you can almost negate the need for water cooling the Sandy Bridge CPU's and just do the most important thing: GPU's, since they are horribly loud at full load. However, if you're going to make a loop with GPU's unless you're limited with radiator space and have multiple GPU's to cool, it just makes sense to go ahead and throw the CPU under the loop as well at no further cost in regards to fan noise.

I think though with socket 2011, you're still going to want watercooling to give some overclocking headroom on the 6 and 8 core chips. If I had to guess, they'd also be 130watt chips like the 980/990x right now are -- and those chips (my 980x) definitely benefits from water cooling.
Old July 10, 2011, 11:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

From my perspective as one who does not currently do any water cooling, or over clocking; WC set ups, to me, are for those users who want to get every ounce of performance that they can out of their rigs. The need for a WC loop for the regular desk top user is non existant.

I am considering some mild over clocks once I finish getting my parts, nothing I am considering requires that I go through the expense and time required to set up a WC loop. I am likely going to get a 2500K and maybe look at an end result of somewhere around 4.2 - 4.5 Ghz range. Not something I need a WC loop for.

Part of the appeal of the WC loop is being able to show off your work, where my HAF 912 will be sitting you wouldn't be able to see the inside of the case even if it did have a side window. Even if I did put a side window in the case, as I have considered it, would basically be a waste since the window wouldn't be visible.

In the end, there is no real need for me to go through the work of getting the parts required and setting up the loop. However, I have toyed with the idea of setting up a loop simply because i like the looks of a well done set up...especially under lights.
Old July 10, 2011, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Water is still the only way to cool an aggressive overclock with the minimum amount of noise. That's the main reason I'm using it.
Old July 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Although the general consensus is correct in saying that there's been little ( or no ) innovation for the last few years for just about every component for watercooling; there are a few companies that are at least attempting to change some watercooling components, Daz's latest build is a testament that TFC has redesigned the fins in their radiators and by making it a modular system.
Speaking of which...YouTube - ‪TFC Admiral Radiator Release Exclusive Interview‬‏

Aqua Computers is also selling their version of a modular radiator system (pricing starting at 99,90 EUR) Aqua Computer Webshop - Radiatoren & Zub.

Another company is Lötters Metallwaren GmbH that have just started producing Thermalfins Radiators Thermalfins

XSPC has given their compression fittings a small change; by making a cut-out in the threads, so that all that is needed to tighten the fitting onto the G1/4 thread, is a coin G1/4″ to 1/2″ ID, 3/4″ OD Compression Fitting | XSPC

If it wasn't for Canadian e-tailer sites such as dazmode.com and ncix.com I probably would still be using air to cool my computer; it was seeing the XSPC version of a decent watercooling kit (for half the price of buying piece by piece) that I could expand upon when/ if I wanted/ needed-that finally managed to send me over to the dark side and try my luck at something new.

Over the last few months; manufacturers may not be coming up with many new or "revolutionary" versions of their products, but they have all pretty much jumped at the chance of getting more people involved in watercooling, by offering their own watercooling kits-from the simple (inexpensive) kits of XSPC to the more comprehensive (and more expensive) kits offered from EK Waterblocks.

Homer J. Simpson

Last edited by BMAN69; July 10, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old July 10, 2011, 01:52 PM
Banned
F@H

with cpus and gpus getting cooler and cooler,it will be difficult.

and with stock coolers getting more adequate by the generation....

i wouldnt want to own a wc business,in 5 years,hope im wrong though :p
Old July 10, 2011, 05:19 PM
Top Prospect

GPU's have been getting hotter and hotter (at least for team Green), and really that's the perfect area for WC these days. Having your GPU & VRM temps drop by half with water over the standard coolers is nuts.
Old July 10, 2011, 05:22 PM

My System Specs

Wait, since when are GPU's getting cooler and cooler? That has yet to happen.

EDIT: Damn I've been ninja'd.
Old July 10, 2011, 06:02 PM
Top Prospect

Desktop or whatever you want to call them are going the way of the Dino.
Old July 10, 2011, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

As someone who has done the whole water cooling before I'll say I won't do it again. Its a lot of money to do it and get it setup and done right and even 1 small flaw could render your system useless.

With things like the H80 and H100 out in the market today these AIO systems make it far more lucrative and cheaper than a full blown loop. Do you get the flexibility? No. But how many people really change out their gear once the loop is setup? Not many. Some people will be like OOH a new cpu block then realize the difference is so minimal that spending another $100 is just not worth it.

And yes with 1156 processors running so much cooler and efficient we are no longer really needing serious methods to keep these things cool even drastically overclocked unless you are planning to overclock them through the roof.