Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2011, 11:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Asad_A203's first WC Build (in an Antec 902)!

Hey Guys,

So this is my first time building a water cooling setup, even though I have been building my own PCs for the last 15 years. Admittedly, I think I have one of the worse cases to be working with and it is no joy that I have 3 hard drives, a DVD drive, and a fan controller in the front.

I am still in the progress of building it so I will update this thread as I go along. This is also a GPU loop only, as I am perfectly happy with my current CPU cooler/performance.

Anyways, here is the components:
GPU block: EK Nickel Plated 5870 waterblocks * 2
GPU Bridge:
EK-FC Bridge Dual Serial
EK-FC Bridge Dual Parallel
2x EK R8xx links
Radiator: Swiftech MCR320 (Triple 120MM) [In a Push-Pull setup]
Radiator Fans: Yate Loons Medium Speed *3, Cooler Master 1900 RPM Fans*2, Antec Tri Cool 1900 RPM
Pump: Swiftech MC655 D5 with speed adjustment
Reservoir: Swiftech Micro Res 2
Barbs: Bitspower 3/8" Hi-Flow barbs *4 (I had Silver compression fittings selected but NCIX was backordered and I didn't feel like waiting a week to get them in )
Clamps: 3/8" Hose Clamps

I will update later tonight!
Old July 5, 2011, 01:28 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Don't you need some tubes? :P

What's the purpose of having Serial and Parallel bridge at the same time? Don't think you can do that, it's one OR the other.

Old July 6, 2011, 10:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongfoo911 View Post
Don't you need some tubes? :P

What's the purpose of having Serial and Parallel bridge at the same time? Don't think you can do that, it's one OR the other.
I was hoping to let gravity do it's thing . For the two bridges, I am not going to install both but I have both available (I decided on Parallel).
Old July 6, 2011, 11:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sorry for the delay in updating, I was just making sure there were no leaks. Here is my build log:

Planning: I have a crappy JPEG which I am sure no one wants to see but this is my loop setup:

Res -> Pump -> GPU blocks -> Rad -> Res

The Reservoir would be mounted on the top of my case, the pump would be inside the hard drive bays, and the radiator would be mounted outside.

First thing I did was flush the radiator. I am not sure how most people did it but I just filled it with boiling hot water, closed the threads, shaked it like mad, and then dumped the water out. I did this three times, first two with tap water and last time with distilled.

Before I could even use the reservoir, the Micro Rev 2 screw hole broke apart. I wasn't too happy about that.

Flushing setup:

Results from first flush:

Lots of chipped metal/or paint, it was pretty metallic to be paint though.

2nd flush:

^ A lot less metal this time around, but I think I didn't shake it well enough as the third flush took out a lot of junk (don't have pics).

After flushing out the radiator, I mocked up the radiator on the PC:

As you can see, there are tons of wires coming from the 6 fans. Three of them will be connected via the power adapter and the other three will be controlled via fan controller (the Antec one will be controlled by its own fan setting thing). Another thing was that I did not mount this over the stock fan location, I did not want the fans drawing hot air from the case (although the big boy Antec 902 might be doing the same thing). So I had to secure the top two fan screw holes to make sure the fans would not snap from the case. This was my solution :

I positioned another one (metal from a coat hanger) and I tightened it with pliers so they are actually pretty sturdy in holding up the radiator.

The next step was fitting 3/8" tubing over the 1/2" barb on the MCP655. I had no idea how to do it as even getting the tubing on 3/8" barbs was tight enough. Upon googling, it seems you have to boil the pipe. I ended up sticking the tube in boiling distilled water for 1 minute, expanding it with pliers, and then trying my hardest to put it around the barb. After some difficult work it finally managed to get on:

^ It is not snug in this picture but I squeezed it a bit more to make it snug with the barb.

I installed the GPU channel block next:

^ I definitely did not feel secure about this block as they do not use any barbs in between to interconnect, just pure leverage and a rubber seal. It is not leaking, but I am a bit hesitant still.

Here it is installed in the case (the pump is mocked in location too):

Where the pump is mounted:

I used the SSD thing the 902 came with. I did not drill through it but I did ziptie the pump down.

Everything installed and ready to be leak tested:

Precaution never hurts :

Fluid of choice:

Wait, I think I can do better with some Gatorade G2. The electrolytes should help out in cooling :

Before some one starts yelling at me, it is just the coolant (15%) and distilled water mixed together. I don't want my EK blocks flaking away on me so better be safe than sorry and the gatorade bottle is excellent for pooring in the Antec 902.

Leak test in progress:

I powered my pump off jumping another power supply (using a garbage tie between green wire and black wire). I ran this for 2 hours, no leak.

I am still running it now, with cap off the reservoir to let any air out of the loop.

Finished pics:

Things I already regret:
  • Not waiting on the stupid compression fittings! The clamps (especially blue/black) and zipties (because Swiftech clamps couldn't fit) really make this build look uglier than it is.

Not permanently attaching reservoir or pump, I think I will wait until I get a better case.

I am still watching for leaks and will update if anything happens. Thanks for reading !

Last edited by Asad_A203; July 6, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old July 7, 2011, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Finally I see this with my own eyes:

3/8 tube on 1/2 barbs!
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old July 7, 2011, 09:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
Finally I see this with my own eyes:

3/8 tube on 1/2 barbs!
It isn't a bad idea, granted that the tube is designed to take that kind of strain.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 7, 2011, 09:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
It isn't a bad idea, granted that the tube is designed to take that kind of strain.

ST
Been doing it for years. Only leak I had was I unplugged a pump and when I plugged it back in, I didnt snap the molex together good enough and it popped back out. The heat sofened the tube and allowed a slight leak. I had no damage and proved to me how tight the seal really is :)

I have had to cut tube off the fitting before LOL
Old July 7, 2011, 10:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
Been doing it for years. Only leak I had was I unplugged a pump and when I plugged it back in, I didnt snap the molex together good enough and it popped back out. The heat sofened the tube and allowed a slight leak. I had no damage and proved to me how tight the seal really is :)

I have had to cut tube off the fitting before LOL
Oh I wasn't knocking the Idea at all, I was just saying if the Tube is weak its a point of failure. But yes, it does make for a good seal. No doubt about that.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 7, 2011, 01:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

When I researched it, it seems that it depends on the material of the tube. The tube that I picked (Primochill Primoflex) appears to be pretty pliable so is a better candidate for this. I will definitely keep an eye on it though!

Question for you guys, how long do I run my reservoir without the cap on to get rid of the air bubbles in the loop? Nearly all of the air is out but I still get the random one now and again.
Old July 7, 2011, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Oh I wasn't knocking the Idea at all, I was just saying if the Tube is weak its a point of failure. But yes, it does make for a good seal. No doubt about that.

ST
yes and the hose not pushed all the on the barb:(

Asad_A203 how the rad is mounted it's a big air trap better with hoses on top