Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2011, 11:25 PM
Top Prospect

Default Rebuild Questions (edited)

To keep a long story short, I am going to upgrade my current i7 920. I have two choices, stick with X58 and upgrade CPU or move on to P67 or Z68. If move onto P67 I will run only a one GPU. My current rig is in need of a new motherboard; do I stick with X58 or is P67 a better option? For my new motherboard, I am looking at either Asus Maximus Extreme or Asus Maximus Extreme-Z. I am a fan of Corsair Ram, but the heat sink (whatever) on the Corsair Vengeance is just ridiculous. If I go with P67, I am not sure what ram to choose. Any advice would be great.

Next, we move on to water cooling. I need a new CPU block. I am looking at AuqaComputer Kryos HF, Heat Killer 3.0, or Koolance CPU 370. I am interested in a high quality only. Out of the previous three blocks, what block do you recommend? I also need a new tube reservoir. I am looking at Bitspower, Iandh, or Koolance. Again, what reservoir do you recommended?

Last edited by matari; July 1, 2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old July 1, 2011, 03:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Kryos and like it, but found the mount terrible at best. Getting really good results with the HF (no bow) and Indigo Extreme TIM so that is making up for the mount. As long as you have the board out of your case and a good place to work should be OK. I did it with the board in my case through the 800D backplate opening and it was rough.

Tube res, I like IandH but it comes down to cost and what you like. They all work pretty good.
Old July 1, 2011, 08:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

I typed a billing thing up for you, but hit the banner at the bottom instead of post...

I recommend the Kryos, HeatKiller, or an EK Supreme; only one plated by someone other than EK. Take a look on sidewindercomputers.com and look at the RRTech chrome plated Supreme. That thing WILL NOT corrode or flake like Eddy's plating. They recurve outstanding surface preparation. Actually all three of the mentioned blocks have RRTech chrome plating.

IandH tube hands down. Nothing better. BitsPower comes in second. I love the reservoirs that Ian makes, and they're 100% made in the USA, ever single nut, bolt, sprin etc.
Old July 1, 2011, 08:59 AM
Top Prospect

Hmm. Not bowed? Interesting. I am not will to use anything other than a paste. Not interested in the Sup. HF. What about the platform? Stick with 1366 or go with 1155?
Old July 1, 2011, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

In my personal and biased opinion, nothing come close to Heatkiller's execution. HK slightly looses to HF in performance, so if that what is more important for you just grab HF acetal version (you can't see bottom anyway).

As upgrade goes... I'm waiting for LGA2011 :) Probably it will be $$$...........
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old July 1, 2011, 09:47 AM
Top Prospect

HK > Kyros, but either of them are top quality so you can't really go wrong.
Old July 1, 2011, 10:05 AM

My System Specs

The Koolance 80mm wide reservoirs are gorgeous, but they are huge. The Bitspower Z reservoirs are nice and the acrylic is thick, but it is isn't as lovely as the Koolance. If you want pics of each I have them sitting in my closet. I would also tend to lean to Koolance for blocks as well, although honestly I haven't used their CPU blocks (yet).

As for hardware, I would likely go Z68, but I wouldn't go w/ such a high end board. I tend to spend a lot on a motherboard, but w/ LGA1155 both Asus and Gigabyte have fantastic lower end boards. And they won't prevent you from getting great overclocks. As for ram, go w/ the cheapest 8GB set that suits you the colours of you theme, if you are in to the aesthetics thing. Ram will never bottle an LGA1155 overclock, nor is bandwidth much of a concern these days.
Old July 1, 2011, 01:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
In my personal and biased opinion, nothing come close to Heatkiller's execution. HK slightly looses to HF in performance, so if that what is more important for you just grab HF acetal version (you can't see bottom anyway).

As upgrade goes... I'm waiting for LGA2011 :) Probably it will be $$$...........
Err, you mean LGA2012. And I bet intel makes us beta test again. Should have all the cash flow in a month or so.

@Lowfat; sure I would like pictures :D. BTW, What res are you using.
Old July 1, 2011, 03:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matari View Post
Hmm. Not bowed? Interesting. I am not will to use anything other than a paste. Not interested in the Sup. HF. What about the platform? Stick with 1366 or go with 1155?

Indigo is an exception for performance with no bow. Any other tim you are going to want to swap O-rings. I for one was glad I didnt have to swap the ring because I did it on my other Kryos (XT) and really hated trying to put it all back together again.

I also have to say I really like the HK 3.0 too. I just retired mine and it was very good.
Old July 1, 2011, 04:41 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matari View Post

@Lowfat; sure I would like pictures :D. BTW, What res are you using.
I seem to have misplaced the Bitspower one, I have been looking up and down for it for the past half hour. Honestly have no idea where I put it, but I'll post a pic of a system in which I used it. I currently use a Koolance RP-402X2 dual DDC bay res, which is in the second pic. Top pic is the Bitspower. The bottom has the Koolance 770ml reservoir and the RP-402X2.