Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2011, 10:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Watercooling Question

So i have an CoolIt Eco ALC set up on my i7 940 right now and I was wondering if I would see any benefits of running a small flexible hose from my AC exhaust (which is essentially right beside the tech bench but about 2 feet higher) and running it to the intake fan attached to the RAD.

Would/should this effectively cool the rad down quite a bit, and would that drop the temps significantly on my closed loop/CPU?
Old June 28, 2011, 10:14 AM

My System Specs

The cooler the air going in to the radiator the colder the loop will be. If you drop your air temperature going in to the radiator by 5C, you should close to a 5C drop on your CPU temps.
Old June 28, 2011, 10:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That's what I had thought, not the direct temperature drop, just that it shouldnt drop the temperatures a bit. Seeing as the AC is running almost all the time (as to cool the entire apartment and not necessarily that room), i could see it dropping the rad temp quite a bit. Any suggestion on what kind of flexible hose i should use, or whatever i can essentially find for a reasonable price at canadian tire?

Mainly i want to prepare for a potential 970 chip that i'll be overclocking as high as i can and folding on it 24/7.
Old June 28, 2011, 10:31 AM

My System Specs

Dryer piping. Not exactly pretty but it should to the job.
Old June 28, 2011, 10:34 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Just be careful with condensation inside the duct, and water droplets reaching your open bench if this one is lower.
Old June 28, 2011, 10:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

My bench is on the floor while the AC is a portable one so its several feet higher then it. Would putting on a water/air filter help catch these water droplets and not affect the air flow too much (though i'm not worried about the air flow from the AC to the rad)
Old June 28, 2011, 10:45 AM

My System Specs

As long as there isn't condensation on the outside of the tubing and/or waterblock you should be fine. I don't think a portable AC unit is going to be able to bring down the water temp below ambient. Especially if you are going to be folding 24/7.
Old June 28, 2011, 10:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't see how there would be rogue condensation, but I thought i'd ask
Old June 28, 2011, 10:54 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Having the whole AC load going through a flex duct, I would not be surprised if there was condensation from the room's ambiant humidity. That's a large load for such a small, non-insulated duct.
Old June 28, 2011, 10:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Oh no, not the entire AC load. I may have forgot to mention I was only going to run the hose off of one of the edges, enough to allow the intake fan to blow the cooler air from the AC onto the rad but not give it the full wrath of the AC.