Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2011, 11:13 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

That's better, but I'd be careful still.
Old June 28, 2011, 11:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

So for save measures would it be a good idea to put a water vapor filter on the end that'll feed right to the intake fan of the rad?
Old June 28, 2011, 11:24 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
So for save measures would it be a good idea to put a water vapor filter on the end that'll feed right to the intake fan of the rad?
That won't make a difference. The only thing that would help if condensation actually started to form would be to insulate the tubing and the motherboard.

What I would suggest is just give it a shot. If you don't notice any sweating on the CPU block or the tubing you'll be fine.
Old June 29, 2011, 04:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I tested out version one of my plan, here are the results.

I bought a 5" in diameter aluminum dryer pipe which was attached to one corners of the AC where it expels the cooled air, with the other end placed on the intake fan for the rad. Unfortunately 5" diameter doesn't fit over the 120mm fan casing so I had to tape it into place temporarily. I then powered up bolth the AC and the System and watched to see what my idle and load temps would be. Unfortunately I forgot to record/remember the load temps however here are the idle temps

Stock with Turbo enabled went as low as 20C, i believe the highest i saw it go was around the low 50s however the temps would dip below depending on if the AC was blowing cooled air or just air off its rad when it got below a certain temp and turned off the cooling portion of its system.
4.0GHz at 1.4Vcore and 1.32 VTT (stable) it went as low as 25C.

I ran it for a few hours, from which I then touched the pipe to find it was sweating quite a bit, now near the actual fan intake the material was not sweating at all however I did not want to take the chance so i turned everything off and removed the pipe. I now plan on going back to exchange it at Home Depot for the Vynl/Plastic one they had which is a couple dollars more and is a 6" diameter pipe (which should fit over the rad fan intake and be zip tied securely onto it.

Additional benefits to the system from this test.
My 2 GPUs were actually running cooler then they normally would do to the positioning of the rad/fans on the rad with respect to the rest of the system. Their Idle temps went down respectively about 5C.
Old June 29, 2011, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

use the a\c fan and cooling to chill the rad

got duct tape and longer hoses for to mount rad to the A\C grill only having the air flow through the rad

this would eliminate the water sweating
Old June 30, 2011, 12:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well CPU folding it has dropped load temps between 15-20C depending on how cool the room is/how low the temperature on the AC is set to