Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2011, 03:18 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post
These would be my ideal fans, but I cant seem to find anywhere that has 5 in stock, at a reasonable price.
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM 59CFM @ 28db Fan Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM 59CFM @ 28db Fan [D1225C12B5AP-15] - $22.99 : DazMode, The Best Canadian PC Watercooling and Modding Store!

Showing 17 in stock.
Old June 27, 2011, 03:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you're OK with compromise, try a PA120.4 or MCR420 in push/pull. One rad will free up lots of space in the bottom.
Old June 27, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I completely forgot about Daz for some reason.
Hmm, thats over $100 in fans though, and while they are great, I might be able to get away with 5 AP121's at about $7-8 less a pop

I need 5 as the psu blocks the last fan on the rad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
If you're OK with compromise, try a PA120.4 or MCR420 in push/pull. One rad will free up lots of space in the bottom.
I would be open to getting a 120.4. Actually i'd prefer it.
I already took out the RS240 (coming to a FS thread near you lol) And the temps seem to be alright with just the single 120.3 but I feel like i need a little bit more just for the overhead in load temps. So I'll keep my eyes out for something.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old June 27, 2011, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Does anyone have these fans?
Yate Loon D12SH-12 120MM Black Fan 2400RPM 88CFM Yate Loon D12SH-12 120MM Black Fan 2400RPM 88CFM [D12SH-12] - $8.99 : DazMode, The Best Canadian PC Watercooling and Modding Store!
How are they at say 7v? I have my 1600's right now at 7v and they seem to be doing okay, not silent, but strong enough.... not sure how fast they are spinning, but its not hurting temps too much.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old June 27, 2011, 09:01 PM
Top Prospect

At $22 a pop for those GT 1850 RPM's I wouldn't buy them. They aren't quite worth that much, but for a $16-$18/each price tag they are excellent and worth the money. I've personally purchased 3 of the 1850's and 6 of the 1,150rpm fans. They are good, and one of the best rad fans no doubt. If you're looking for pure silence though, the NoiseBlocker multi-frame fans are the absolute best and you can actually run them at higher RPM's than the GT's which will give you better performance as well. The GT's aren't nearly as good at lower RPM's either, and need about ~200rpm more than some of the other fans to match the same CFM which in turn sort of negates the noise benefits of the GT's. A little misleading, but yes they are certainly one of the better fans regardless. The NoiseBlockers are awesome performing, sound-wise you can't beat them, come with a sealing gasket (for use as a case fan) and look great too, but cost a pretty penny.

All depends on what you're going for really, but I wouldn't ever see the need or be able to stand fans running above 1,200rpm max in a quiet desktop environment regardless. There's no need nor point. I'd really recommend the NoiseBlockers if money is not of concern. The Yate Loons are cheap - they work and are ok for $8.99 and will beat some fans priced around the $10-12 mark at best but certainly they aren't very good for anyone serious about their fans performance and noise characteristics.

Last edited by codeman; June 27, 2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old June 27, 2011, 09:29 PM

My System Specs

Don't suppose you have a link to how the NoiseBlockers perform on a radiator? The 1850RPM GT's have fantastic static pressure as well as undervolt fantastically. Making them pretty much the perfect quiet radiator fan.
Old June 28, 2011, 05:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Mattlef, I your thinking of buying a 120.4 radiator, I would recommend a HWL SR1 480 radiator. I don't understand why anyone would want to put anything else into a TJ07 :p I just feel that the quality of a TJ should be matched with the parts that go in it. No saying expensive parts should go in, but quality parts :)
Old June 28, 2011, 09:43 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Don't suppose you have a link to how the NoiseBlockers perform on a radiator? The 1850RPM GT's have fantastic static pressure as well as undervolt fantastically. Making them pretty much the perfect quiet radiator fan.
The GT's don't actually "undervolt fantastically" as far as resonance goes. They do work down at 4.2v and are very very energy efficient no doubt and the bearings have very little resistance. Slightly better than the NB fans bearings in that sense, but the NB do run down and under-volt to the same level.

There are a few reviews of them (Noiseblocker M12-S2 are what I have) on Madshrimps and X-bit labs etc. and all at the top of the chart, and all of the reviews put them at the top of the charts for noise and with good CFM. I forget the exact one I read, but it showed the GT's needed extra RPM's versus the others to maintain the airflow same airflow as others even though they have good static pressure. If you're using a good low-speed fan optimized radiator, the static pressure is less of a concern as you're only dealing with 7-10FPI of rad.... but the NB's are good.

From experience... I've got over $400 worth of fans on my desk here. The GT's are awesome for noise when decoupled, but on some radiators they have a very annoying low resonance to them. Martin of Martins liquid lab has a chart somewhere that rates them as a '7' versus a '9' for the noiseblockers on resonant noise. As mentioned, if you buy the GT fans for what they are actually worth ($15-$16) and not insanely overpriced at $18-$22 a piece, they cannot be beat. But; if you want the absolute best sound quality and the ability to run your fans at a few hundred RPM higher these NB multiframes are just excellent. Haven't tried the silent pro's, which also have the same motor and fan blade setup but with a solid frame -- should be fairly comparable.

The GT's while good - are hyped to shit, pardon my french and not worth more than $15 a pop that's for sure.
Old June 28, 2011, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

Guys just for your information. GT availability is expected to be uncertain. Fans must be prepaid 100% 5 months in advance, which makes little business sense to carry them.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old June 28, 2011, 10:47 AM

My System Specs

Those Noiseblocker PL-2's look like great fans. Can't find them anywhere in Canada though. PPC's has them but for $20USD.