Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2008, 07:26 AM
Rookie

Default Northbridge Temps

I was just wondering what is an acceptable temperature reading for the northbridge chipset? I am using a asus maximus extreme motherboard that has it's own heatsink on top of the northbridge chip and the temperature was running at 55-58 (on idle) is this OK? Any help on the matter would be appreciated.
Old February 5, 2008, 07:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't know about your particular mobo but my system would crash when my uli northbridge hit about 70-77c. I slapped a watercooler on it and now it sits at around 33c max!
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old February 5, 2008, 07:58 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hi,
Asus blitz edition, with cpu OC'd and running at 90% for 16 hours, water cooled with factory water block, 38 C in a 20 C room at 1.57 vdc. What OC and N.B. voltage are you running at? What is your room temperature? Unobstucted case fan vents? Yours seems warm generally speaking, might want to check the heat sink and see if it is making proper contact, if the heat sink looks proper and the case is well ventilated, double check the volts your feeding that N.B. in the bios.
Old February 5, 2008, 07:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

You sure about those temps? Because that's HOT. Popular wisdom (so far) for the X38 chipset suggests that you should at least keep NB temps below 45 for stability. With those kind of temperatures, I might suggest reseating the heatsink on the NB (a known problem). Beyond that, how are you cooling it? If you not using the water block, then you'll want to make sure you've got good airflow across all those fins.
Old February 5, 2008, 08:53 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all your help people. My cpu is being cooled by the freezone extreme cooler but I don't have any thing (other than the heat sink that came with the motherboard) cooling my northbridge chip. These readings were taken with asus's PC probe, I will re-check them when I get home tonight. Maybe someone can advise me on a water cooler for northbridge chipset, as this particular motherboard is already set up for it, with 3/8" tubes.

Thanks again everybody.
Old February 5, 2008, 02:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You could just get an Antec SpotCool or something and direct it towards the NB.

Another option, use that blower fan which clips onto the heatsink beside the CPU, if possible that is.
Old February 5, 2008, 02:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

Well, haven't you tried a DangerDen NB block? I use it and hapilly... Till I laped the NB, that it is. Before I can't get it cold enought, but that it was on old nF2

Regarding the question, the nF2 used to crash or lock-up rather at about 71 - 72C. I sticked the sensor bellow under the HS on it, so I know. DFI LP B.
Galerie
Old February 5, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

IF the sensor called "Motherboard" is my northbridge it never sees much about 32' celcius but its got LOTS of airflow.
Old February 5, 2008, 05:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
IF the sensor called "Motherboard" is my northbridge it never sees much about 32' celcius but its got LOTS of airflow.
No it's not. Just a general sensor.

The Maximus has sensors on the SB and NB thus that's where the temps come from. Mine only runs at 39C in my Antec 900 and the TRUE mounted vertically covers most of the main heatsink part. Not sure why your temps are so high.
Old February 6, 2008, 06:26 AM
Rookie

I contacted ASUS yesterday and was advised that the threshhold is 65-95 degrees celsius (15-200 degrees farenheit). Also, in the bios, the shutdown temperature for the NB is 90 degrees celsius. I am going to add a few more fans to help bring the temp down. My cpu is being cooled by the freezone coolit extreme and its temp is 22 degrees celsius. I don't want to purchase a water cooling system just to cool my NB chip, and I don't think that the coolit system has any options for cooling this chip, so I guess fans are the only way to go. I still have one empty slot on my Temjin TJ09 case, and I read (in this thread) where someone mentioned a Antec fan that can be placed anywhere in the case. Again thank-you everyone for your help.