Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2011, 08:13 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Corsair H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review Comment Thread

For many budding enthusiasts the thought of spending the money time and money while living with the potential hazard of custom a water cooling setup can prove to be overwhelming. However, the performance which can be achieved with liquid cooling can't be denied. With their H60, Corsair is striving to find the middle ground by creating a self contained...

[ Read full article ]
Old June 8, 2011, 09:44 AM
Top Prospect

.... stick to a high-end traditional CPU cooler versus these things. Why didn't you throw in results from some top tower coolers versus these things?

They are noisy, and don't provide the performance to match top-end cooling towers. Not only does it not cool better, you don't generally have ANY airflow around your VRM's on your motherboard where with a 'standard' air cooler, you at least get a BIT of flow from the tower coolers.

These things are garbage.... close to 80degrees celcius on the top end? Bah. No better than the good air coolers. Even the heatsink that comes in the retail packs with the Intel 980/990x CPU's are better than these things. I've owned an H50 and an H70 .... either do water cooling properly, or don't do it at all.
Old June 8, 2011, 11:41 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Great review! I think I will pick one of these up, with a couple coolermaster R4's to cool my 2600k. That way, I get much better cooling than stock, and also get to keep my 200mm fan in my Cosmos S. I was a bit hesitant, since I was thinking that the H70 would perform better, but apparently not with a pair of fans on it.

Hmmm ... Father's day gift perhaps?
Old June 8, 2011, 12:53 PM
Top Prospect

krazyups - any particular reason in specific you want this over a high-end air cooler?

Dude, seriously. Read this: Destroying Stereotypes: Corsair H70 Liquid Cooling System Review. Page 5 - X-bit labs

The H70 is beaten by even the ThermalRight Silver Arrow - the Silver arrow does this with 800rpm lower rotations, and less noise.

If you buy this: Newegg.ca - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler which is a top performing CPU cooler with a couple fans like Scyth Gentle Typhoons you'll have an excellent cooler with low noise, and top performance.

I've owned these - trust me, I'm not a review site that is in the business of making money to provide you this information. I'm a real user of these products who wants the best you can get for the least amount of money (where possible, but quality always trumps saving $20). The Corsair coolers are garbage, and I've had to RMA 1 of them after owning it for just a few months. The RMA process with Corsair isn't the greatest either, but they did come through. In the end, I tossed them to the bin (aka. sold them to someone else who was convinced they were amazing for a good discount over retail) and stuck with air cooling for my two alternate systems.
Old June 8, 2011, 03:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ive got to be honest, I was pretty underwhelmed with the performance of the H70.

After using it for roughly 3 months, my opinion on it is that, if you're not going to overclock(or just barely going to), its a fine cooler, albiet a bit pricey. Still, she looks nice and clean, and there is definitely a cool factor it. But, if you want to overclock your chip the best you can, you're going to be left wanting when it comes to cooling. It just doesn't have the ability to cool the chip enough to satisfy.

The air cooler I was using prior, was a V6GT, which IMO, is very overlooked when it comes to coolers. I really liked it, did a great job of keeping my chip cool, and with a pair of Noctua's or CM SickleFlows, its a quiet solution that can definitely handle some overclocking. The performance of the V6GT should not be judged by the stigma that the V8/V10 hold... Its definitely a worth cooler IMO.

Just as a non-scientific example, I was able to have my X4 965 at 4.2ghz with the V6GT, and see max load temps around 51-53C. High, but not dangerously so. With the H70, 4.2ghz would crash. Id see temps hit as high as 56-57C before I got either a blue screen or a freeze up. I ended up going back to 4.0ghz whilst using the H70, and even then temps weren't ideal. In the FWIW department, Ive since gone to a custom loop, and I am MORE than pleased with how cool the chip stays.
Old June 8, 2011, 04:50 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

With the 200mm fan in place in my case, that limits me to heat sinks that are <154mm in total height ... removing all the top performing tower style heat sinks from consideration. Plus, I won't have 1kg+ of canti-levered weight hanging on my board, and the fact that I'll most likely run into the chip or motherboard overclocking limit well before I run into the thermal limit of either the chip or the cooling solution.
Old June 8, 2011, 06:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The review had exactly the info I was looking for: Thermalright Ven X vs. Corsair H60, thanks.
Old June 8, 2011, 10:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
.... stick to a high-end traditional CPU cooler versus these things. Why didn't you throw in results from some top tower coolers versus these things?

They are noisy, and don't provide the performance to match top-end cooling towers. Not only does it not cool better, you don't generally have ANY airflow around your VRM's on your motherboard where with a 'standard' air cooler, you at least get a BIT of flow from the tower coolers.

These things are garbage.... close to 80degrees celcius on the top end? Bah. No better than the good air coolers. Even the heatsink that comes in the retail packs with the Intel 980/990x CPU's are better than these things. I've owned an H50 and an H70 .... either do water cooling properly, or don't do it at all.
couldnt disagree more ive been running a H-50 on a 1100T for a few months now push pull config and i never see more than 40 41 C under load. as also i have a silverstone case with the fans running bottom to top there is plenty of airflow over the entire motherboard.
1 80 mm fan makes more noise than my push pull config running full bore. it all depends on each persons set up and application. I for one have been very happy with my 50 and the 60 is just slightly better than the 50 hence the different number. with 50 installed as easy as the 60 though.
Old June 17, 2011, 07:24 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Do you know if I can use this cooler on an HD5870? That would be cool to use instead of the vid card stock noisy fan!
Old June 17, 2011, 08:09 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

My System Specs

Good review AkG

These sealed units are probably nice if you are working with a Mid-Tower and only mild OC'ing.