Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2011, 09:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

A lot of people like to point fingers at these units because they don't perform along the lines of custom loops or even the highest end Air Coolers. Thats fine, its understandable because of the way a lot of companies like to market them.

However, they do have a rightful place in the market and I fully support the good deisgns. I, ran into a snag a year back now with my X58 build. The Lexa S that housed everything would not accept any of the Massive Tower coolers I had on hand. Nor would the Scout without losing my side Fans....
The trade off was, using a sealed water cooler like the H50 I was able to keep the case, board and everything else the way I wanted without reverting to a crappy low profile solution or changing to a case I didn't want.
The same goes for my RAM, I changed to an ECO in another build because I refused to have to buy new RAM for a build when getting an ECO was much much cheaper.

These units have their place, when they stop marketing them to Beat Air Cooling (Unless they actually do) then it will make more sense I think for a lot of people.

As it stands, they are here to stay I believe. Great review AkG.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 17, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Soul I've seen a h50 hold down a 2600k clocked to 4.4ghz and keep the temps below 70 degrees.. That is pretty respectful imho.
Old June 17, 2011, 09:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Soul I've seen a h50 hold down a 2600k clocked to 4.4ghz and keep the temps below 70 degrees.. That is pretty respectful imho.
Thats actually kinda cool, never seen it or done it myself but thanks for the FYI on it.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old June 17, 2011, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Thats actually kinda cool, never seen it or done it myself but thanks for the FYI on it.

ST
And the H60 performs even better than H50 as it brought in a new pump and as they say change out the fans on the H60 with good ones and it'll really shine.
Old June 17, 2011, 09:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Plus Corsair is releasing the H100 so we'll see how these self contained water coolers do.
I'll let you know as I've got an H100 on order, so I'm sure it'll keep my 2600k nice and cool, I just wonder what the noise levels will be.
Old June 17, 2011, 01:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
And the H60 performs even better than H50 as it brought in a new pump and as they say change out the fans on the H60 with good ones and it'll really shine.
Thats the first thing I did change out on my H50 was the FAn for a Coolermaster R4. Much better static pressure than the stock one.
The one thing I noticed too when it comes to the performance level of these Sealed units is my idle to full Load Delta is much smaller than with Air coolers.

If my H50 ever dies out of warranty I'll probably replace it with an H60, or when the H100 comes into stock perhaps I'll use that one instead.

Thanks for the info though Ena, its good to see OC experience since I stray away from OC'ing these days.

ST

Old June 17, 2011, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
These units have their place, when they stop marketing them to Beat Air Cooling (Unless they actually do) then it will make more sense I think for a lot of people.
Or they could just price the lower end units like the ECO/H50 more reasonably. Wholesale price on those things should be around $20-$30, I don't see a particularly good reason for the ~100% markup. Of course you don't want to make the brand cheap, but it would make a lot of sense to have a ~$40 low performance option to better compete with air coolers in all price brackets. I'm pretty sure a $40 watercooling unit that can match the performance of a Hyper 212 would fly off shelves, even if it didn't come with a fan/AM3 mounting.
Old June 17, 2011, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Or they could just price the lower end units like the ECO/H50 more reasonably. Wholesale price on those things should be around $20-$30, I don't see a particularly good reason for the ~100% markup. Of course you don't want to make the brand cheap, but it would make a lot of sense to have a ~$40 low performance option to better compete with air coolers in all price brackets. I'm pretty sure a $40 watercooling unit that can match the performance of a Hyper 212 would fly off shelves, even if it didn't come with a fan/AM3 mounting.
I do agree with you on this.. the pricing for these may perhaps be on the high side for what they are compared to those of a air cooler.. But would you take a H60 for a few dollars more over a Hyper 212 and know your going to have a slightly cooler and quieter system?

I would.
Old June 17, 2011, 03:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I agree, and ideally they will. Its all about mass manufacturing. The more of them they make and we buy the cheaper they get. WHich is why I support them, and supported Coolit.

And in all honestly, I would take these now over most coolers out there. They just make compatibility that much less of a hassle with RAM and MOFSET Coolers (my EVGA Board being a shining example!).

For the 212, you will get much better performance on one of these.

ST

Old June 17, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

That is about what it does for me. I got my 2600k up to 4.6 and I'm sitting at about 44C at idle and it hits about 72ish on normal-heavy load. Of course it does even better when ambient is not at 25 like it is right now in my place. Although I am looking forward to maybe moving up to the H100.