Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2011, 06:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSavior41 View Post
While this whole thing is a real shame the worse part for the Watercooling market is EK is one of the few companies that made waterblocks for non-reference designed cards like the MSI lightning series of cards.
That's exactly what I've been thinking...especially since I recently bought Palit 580s and discovered that no aftermarket air coolers will fit (that I know of, anyway; the DVI ports are too high). Then I looked at waterblocks and the only one I saw was the EK-FC5X0 GW block. Anyone know of any others?
Old June 7, 2011, 06:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
Wouldn't be less hassle to switch to copper version? You can't quite see GPU blocks anyway.

Off-topic. Darn Canada Post strike just a cherry on the top of all of this mess.
less hassle perhaps, but i am done using or supporting ek in any way.
Old June 7, 2011, 07:52 PM

My System Specs

This is from a thread started on XtremeSystems today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
The plater wasn't the problem.

I hit this thing with a few tests, and every single one of them came back positive for the same answer-that isn't copper. Not pure copper, anyway. And it's not just surface impurities.

Testing shavings did not give straight copper (II) sulfate, peroxide would not give light blue, ammonia did not give dark blue, and hydrochloric acid attacked the surface. None of that should have happened.

So I did a density test. This is where it gets ****ing odd.

Copper has a density of 8.93 g/cm3. This is closer to 8 g/cm3. Whatever I have, it ain't pure copper.

At the end of my rope, I set a scraping alight. On nichrome wire, mind you.

Blue-green and some purple. It ain't copper.

Best guesses at this juncture? Phosphor copper, ex-aluminum casting. Maybe mixed with regular copper, but there's enough of an amount that you would have trouble plating it right.

Phosphor copper won't plate right. If the billet is of variable quality, you get thin plating in spots and thick where the copper is all right.

As an aside, the nickel looked great. It's actually surprising. Seems like it really was plated properly-if it were pure copper.

I do not make any conjectures as to how it came to be impure copper. I simply read the tests as I get them.
XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - EK Supreme HF teardown (I found a reason why!)

Very interesting. So in a way Eddy is right. Just for the wrong reasons. There has been something wrong with the blocks, just not the nickel plating.
Old June 7, 2011, 08:08 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Kayin's findings are pretty interesting. I am no expert, but it makes sense to me, and possibly why Eddy didn't duplicate the issue if he had good copper.

Need this confirmed by someone else in my books, but if these blocks are not really full copper than thats bad news indeed.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 7, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

That is unusual twist in this story. Defective raw material?
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old June 7, 2011, 09:44 PM
Top Prospect

If the platting was not an issue then the blocks platted by third party companies would have failed but they have not. Second it is not uncommon for vendors to use low grade copper.
Old June 7, 2011, 10:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

bottm line is eddy took a short cut and the buyer pays shipping back to his company with attitude of its your mistake not mine

Kayin just damage control
Old June 7, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If Kayin's post is accurate, I'd have to say either EK is intentionally cutting corners in the copper process to save money, or whomever he contracts for the forging is doing the same thing, but obviously not to EK's knowledge.

On another note: RRR has quite the pack mentality it seems.
Old June 7, 2011, 10:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
If Kayin's post is accurate, I'd have to say either EK is intentionally cutting corners in the copper process to save money, or whomever he contracts for the forging is doing the same thing, but obviously not to EK's knowledge.

On another note: RRR has quite the pack mentality it seems.
3 months too late on that assumption
Old June 7, 2011, 10:41 PM
Top Prospect

EK is not the only company to use low grade copper for water-cooling blocks.