Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2011, 05:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

That's what I love about Reds forum - he delivers the truth, no matter what it is, and he backs it up with hard evidence. The man pulled $1000 out of his own pocket to do this, for us water cooling hobbyists. I know that forum might be "too much" for some, but inrespect what they do there.

Now Eddy just needs to grow a pair. I bet he'll try to say the testing was all flawed and fixed :p
Old June 30, 2011, 08:55 AM
Top Prospect

I hate to derail this thread, but but where are the plant pictures?
Old June 30, 2011, 01:55 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

off topic:
Its also funny how its coming back as a bad plate job...considering he's a custom platter (amongst other things). Wonder if in a couple RR will come out and say the equivalent of "now that we know whats going on...it will be difficult...but "we" can replate the EKs for you...for a "small fee." ". /whistle

On topic:
With such a small sample size (a block here and another there...both with dif probs)...god only knows if it really is just a bad plate job, bad copper...or both..or neither (doubtful). To me it sounds like Eddy got a bunch of problems going on and it will be like playing the lottery in that you dont know what (problem) you may get. :(

EDIT: OFFENDING QUOTE REMOVED - SugarJ

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by SugarJ; June 30, 2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old June 30, 2011, 01:57 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Don't think name-calling is needed.

Yes, it was mostly the RR community that coughed up the funds for the experiment. Good on the forum to do it, even if the forum is not up to my taste.

Still, you can't deny there is an issue with the plating process when other manufacturers are not having the same issues. I ened up buying a Koolance block recently because of it. But it is good to see that EK used good materials from what we can tell, and to use Red Raider's own word its "admirable."

If EK's plating is simply a case of poor prepping, then hopefully EK can easily fix the problems with the plating.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 30, 2011, 02:09 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
off topic:
Its also funny how its coming back as a bad plate job...considering he's a custom platter (amongst other things). Wonder if in a couple RR will come out and say the equivalent of "now that we know whats going on...it will be difficult...but "we" can replate the EKs for you...for a "small fee." ". /whistle

On topic:
With such a small sample size (a block here and another there...both with dif probs)...god only knows if it really is just a bad plate job, bad copper...or both..or neither (doubtful). To me it sounds like Eddy got a bunch of problems going on and it will be like playing the lottery in that you dont know what (problem) you may get. :(
So what do you attribute the plating problems to on the EK blocks? If it's not the copper being suspect, nor the nickle purity, then that only leaves prep and process. Those two things also happen to be what EK should have the most hands on ability to manage. You can't always deal directly with stock impurities, but you sure as hell can deal with process. That is if you want to, and if you're not just sacrificing quality for quantity, which everything so far is screaming that quality is being tossed out the window in the name of churning out as much as possible (like all the terrible machining marks on many blocks in the last few months).
Old June 30, 2011, 02:36 PM

Thats the thing. We have had two groups investigate. Both came back with DIFFERENT root causes. Sadly, they were from different batches and both used a sample size so small that god only knows if they are a good shapshot of EK blocks. Only one who really knows is Eddy...and he is passing the buck. My personal guess...eddy got some wonky QA and / or distributor issue going on. But in either case, its not good. Damn glad EK pissed me off a while back and I stop buying their kit.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 30, 2011, 04:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

RR Gets one set of Kudos, they do have someone who knows where to send stuff to get tested.
But AkG is Exactally Right on one very very important Point. The sample size.

Point blank if RR wanted the 'TRUTH' like they like to highlight in all their posts and behaviours there, you need a large sample size. They have 'a truth' about the samples they sent' But it isn't 'The Truth'.

Using an ICP was smart at the lab, they made the right choice. But without a large sample base or consistent sample base you will not know where the issue really is.

That is why Labs like the one they sent it to exist! You need to constantly sample to ensure that the product you get is Consistent.
I know, I did this with ICP-MS machines, and Flame AA Specro as well.
You need to always have samples batch for batch.

So really, we are back were we started.
There is a problem. Thats all we know, and its a roll of the dice really.
Good thing I like my WC units sealed.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 30, 2011, 04:42 PM
Top Prospect

A large sample is not needed; EK blocks perform extremely well. They would need high quality copper to achieve those results. I was blind not to see that before.
Old June 30, 2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matari View Post
A large sample is not needed; EK blocks perform extremely well. They would need high quality copper to achieve those results. I was blind not to see that before.
Well actually...yes it is. No other way to put this drama lama back in the pen.

If there was no problems and this was just random sampling to confirm the high quality of a line with ZERO problems...sure...maybe. BUT the fact of the matter is there is a problem being reported. WHAT the problem is still open for debate. All we know is two different groups have come back with issues on two different batches. By itself no enough to get the lynching party in full swing, but it coupled with EKs response to the issue should make peeps a little more leery of using them. EK needs to be in full rumour suppression mode and the only way to do that...is with full disclosure. Nothing else will satisfy now as the waters have been chummed and the sharks are circling.

Old June 30, 2011, 07:42 PM
Top Prospect

The thread on OCN about the gold supreme HF is a pretty disgusting showing by Eddy ;z.