Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2011, 01:17 PM
Top Prospect

Since I am not willing to pull the trigger on the CPU 370, there are only two blocks that I like left: Kryos and HK 3.0. However, I hate the mounting system of the HK 3.0.
Old June 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The ones who are gonna screwed the worst in this whole debacle will be the re-sellers. It will be hard to unload EK products after this. Hopefuly Daz can get more and more products from other manufacters.

Last edited by [email protected]; June 14, 2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: cause i can
Old June 14, 2011, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by matari View Post
Since I am not willing to pull the trigger on the CPU 370, there are only two blocks that I like left: Kryos and HK 3.0. However, I hate the mounting system of the HK 3.0.
You can mount HK on old EK mount system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The ones who are gonna screwed the worst in this whole debacle will be the re-sellers. It will be hard to unload EK products after this. Hopefuly Daz can get more and more products from other manufacters.
I just RMA as everybody else for copper versions.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old June 14, 2011, 01:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
I just RMA as everybody else for copper versions.
Hopefuly for your sake the market for EK products doesnt dry up.
Comparing my new AC gtx580 block to my EK 580 block there is a huge discrepency in workmanship. I will never purchase EK ever again.
Old June 26, 2011, 06:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

since EK plated WB's are paper weights have any of you sawed eddys blocks in half yet...to see whats really inside. with all this testing going on is only the......... the top layer being tested

Last edited by KaptCrunch; June 26, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old June 26, 2011, 08:22 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Did Raider ever get that analysis back yet? Figured I would see all kinds of posts about it by now.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 26, 2011, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Did Raider ever get that analysis back yet? Figured I would see all kinds of posts about it by now.

don't know but I don't need a test to know that eddy went cheap ...check your note$ eddy

don't judge a chunck of metal for its finish is covering some other material

Last edited by KaptCrunch; June 26, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old June 29, 2011, 05:09 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Looks like EK used good copper and good nickel in their blocks, according to Red Raider's analysis:
RRTech...The SOURCE for Extreme Liquid Cooling - View Single Post - EK - Copper Chemical & Metallurgical Analysis

Here is a quote from Red Raider on his analysis of the findings he got:
Quote:
The two samples I sent off to IMR Test Labs, meet/exceed the chemical requirements of UNS-C-11000 for a CDA110 electrolytic tough pitch copper. EK's copper, used in these two samples, is 100% legit.

The plating also appears to actually be clean nickel, with a coating of 12.7 microns, on the sample 480GTX, that was provided for testing. This is actually admirable, IMHO, as Eddy has continuously claimed a plating of only 5 microns thickness. We still have our previous evidence of porosity in the coating, which presumably results from poor surface preparation, and possibly from the nickel plating process itself (e.g. the plating solution was not of the 'leveling' variety).
Anywho, it was an interesting exercise to see if something was up with the metals.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 29, 2011, 06:07 PM
Top Prospect

Hmm, that was interesting read. Turns out that I was wrong; EK uses high quality copper for their blocks. The nickel was 12 microns thick, not 4 that eddy stated. turns out the issue was indeed caused by a flawed plating process. If Eddy would have admitted to this, then EK would not have been in such bad shape.
Old June 29, 2011, 09:11 PM
Top Prospect

The machining is being done too fast / sloppy, the copper of that rating is one of the hardest forms there is. It's not like standard milling copper that has added impurities to make it easier to work, so there's at least part of the problem (and why some of the blocks look pretty horrid machining mark wise).