Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2011, 09:32 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Ya the EK Supreme rev 2 stillvis the best performing block out there, but the difference is so pathetically small. I'll stick with blocks that don't have issues and have significantly better mounting.
What block are you going to use? I am looking at the kryos hf or cpu 370, but I am worried about the platting on the cpu 370
Old June 13, 2011, 11:25 PM
Top Prospect

lol all you pansies are worrying about nickel plating on other brands now too? Shesh, grow a pair would you :P

FYI, The Kyros isn't all that great. The base is junk, and it's very restrictive. No thanks. I'd pick the Heatkiller 3.0 any day over that block. EK Supreme HF, Heatkiller, CPU 370 would be my choices in order of preference personally. Again, if I was really worry about the nickel (which personally I'm not, as mine is still going strong with absolutely no issue) I'd go for the full copper EK HF block, or the Heatkiller. Even the HK has quite a 'boring' base design, I'd almost go for the CPU 370 over it but I don't think it looks as good aesthetically.
Old June 13, 2011, 11:55 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
lol all you pansies are worrying about nickel plating on other brands now too? Shesh, grow a pair would you :P

FYI, The Kyros isn't all that great. The base is junk, and it's very restrictive. No thanks. I'd pick the Heatkiller 3.0 any day over that block. EK Supreme HF, Heatkiller, CPU 370 would be my choices in order of preference personally. Again, if I was really worry about the nickel (which personally I'm not, as mine is still going strong with absolutely no issue) I'd go for the full copper EK HF block, or the Heatkiller. Even the HK has quite a 'boring' base design, I'd almost go for the CPU 370 over it but I don't think it looks as good aesthetically.
First, I do not care about <1 c temp difference. Second, I will not use a EK product by principle. Third, HQ platting is expensive, and it makes me wonder the quality of the platting.
Old June 14, 2011, 08:29 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matari View Post
What block are you going to use? I am looking at the kryos hf or cpu 370, but I am worried about the platting on the cpu 370
XSPC Rasa is a fantastic block especially for the price.
Old June 14, 2011, 12:33 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
First, I do not care about <1 c temp difference. Second, I will not use a EK product by principle. Third, HQ platting is expensive, and it makes me wonder the quality of the platting.
What the hell is platting? You mean plating? By principle... lmao oh well.
Old June 14, 2011, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

UPDATE:

RMA is upgraded on two points:

1. We are lifting the RMA limit on corrosion to full 24month from the end-user purchase date without limit.
2. EK will cover all shipping costs of the RMA block to reseller and shipping of the replacement block back to customer.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old June 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
What the hell is platting? You mean plating? By principle... lmao oh well.
You do realize that by being a grammar nazi and attacking his wording and not his actual argument...you have lost said argument. And to be honest, you have had some interesting phrasing in the past yourself mate...but no one called you on it. Might want to STFU and take that grammar nazi BS back to digg or reddit or rfd or other cease-pits you may frequent, as we TRY and accommodate all peeps here.

Plating in this niche has always been crap (ie THIN and less than ultra durable)...EK just got burned by being cheap on the material used for the block itself as well as the plate job. To be honest, I kind of agree with him. They are selling a copper alloy block as a pure copper block. Worse still, in typical EK fashion they are blaming the customer for being too stupid to use the kit properly...for the MATERIAL defects. On general principles that makes EK a company I would not want to do business with. This is coming from someone who wanted to give EK the benefit of the doubt until they made an official announcement and argued strenuously for others to do the same.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 14, 2011, 01:40 PM
Top Prospect

I really love the design of Koolance CPU 370 block; however, I am disappointed that they do not offer a copper only version. If I want the block plated, I will have a professional platter do the job for me. I understand that many vendors are trying to capitalize on the markets current nickel craze, while producing a block that is still completive pricewise. I do not think that is possible with a high quality plating job. That is why I question the quality of the plating.

All EK had to do to keep me as a customer is simply admit they made a mistake and replace the effected products. They shot themselves in the foot, not me.
Old June 14, 2011, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

OT: If you guys would bother correct all MY grammar quirks, that would be full time job!
Old June 14, 2011, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
...selection..
I don't think Kryos will look good after plating. Surface is bit rough and plating will show it more.

Again, as performance is pretty much the same for top tier blocks, just take what looks good for you.