Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2011, 12:29 AM
Top Prospect

Lanboy please read this thread from start to end. As long as your block is nickel plated (correctly) you should be ok.

Holly Shit....My beloved **HK3** WTF is this Gunk - RRTech...The SOURCE for Extreme Liquid Cooling
Old June 12, 2011, 05:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matari View Post
Lanboy please read this thread from start to end. As long as your block is nickel plated (correctly) you should be ok
Who said that I'm only interested in nickel plated block when I mention that stainless steel can create a problem in a loop ..... I'm not in crusade against Eddy, this EK problem bring me to have a reflection on all the WC industry. Copper vs plated block, Distillated water vs anti-corrosive.. but this is going off topic.

On the topic, for now I donít plan to purchase a water block soon, EK stop the production obviously after found other thing that what they show in their report. At the time I will be ready to purchase a block, We will know a lot more about it. Since EK nickel blocks are partially out of market, they are not an option, so not a problem.

And please if you want to bring me a report, bring me something that doesnít have Holy shit and FTW in the title.
Old June 12, 2011, 08:43 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

deleted -seems I had some facts wrong

Last edited by UNTAMED; June 13, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old June 12, 2011, 08:43 AM
Top Prospect

Please read that thread. First, it predicts what happened to EK well before it happened. It is the reason for the nickel craze.
Old June 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
Top Prospect

EK's platting was flawed and their blocks failed as a result. Eddy basically blamed the community for using silver and or pt nuke (caused the nickel to carrode). However it turned out to the pores and machine marks and exposure of copper underneath that caused the corrosion. I repeat EK's only mistake was not taking the blame from the start.
Old June 12, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

I didn't follow everything in last couple days, but my understanding that there is another possibility for the plating problem due to impure copper material. Plating can not stick properly to copper with something else in it, hence it looks like crap under microscope. So, plating process itself could be ok (inluding proper cleaning), but raw material may not be not up to specs.

I think RR makes important test to confirm if third party re-plating service makes any sense for affected blocks.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old June 12, 2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matari View Post
.... However it turned out to the pores and machine marks and exposure of copper underneath that caused the corrosion. I repeat EK's only mistake was not taking the blame from the start.

Iím very happy for you to see you are satisfy with this report, in that case I will have no problem to purchase EK block, as I just open it and put under my 4-200x Zoom Bino, it will reveal if those pores are present on my block, if so I just return it to the seller.

BUT what if itís not the cause or at least not the only cause, and the copper under the nickel, is poor quality or not prepare properly before nickel bath, I will not notice it under my microscope

AND what if itís cause by copper impurity. I will not see it also under my microscope

So if RRtech is right, Iím ok to use them after inspection But if not Iím not ok to use those block.

Take note that I donít approve or disapprove this report; but from the start they look in only one direction, as if they can be only 1 cause to the problem. EK did the same too, blaming the customer coolant. Now they seem to look other place.

I suggest we keep our objectivity in this thing, time will tell us .
Old June 12, 2011, 10:54 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

This all happened just before I put my order through for some ek nickel blocks perfect timing :( cant even find them in stock seems everyone pulled them from shelves guess im goin with koolance 370.
Old June 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanboy View Post
Iím very happy for you to see you are satisfy with this report, in that case I will have no problem to purchase EK block, as I just open it and put under my 4-200x Zoom Bino, it will reveal if those pores are present on my block, if so I just return it to the seller.

Take note that I donít approve or disapprove this report; but from the start they look in only one direction, as if they can be only 1 cause to the problem. EK did the same too, blaming the customer coolant. Now they seem to look other place.

I suggest we keep our objectivity in this thing, time will tell us .
in his own words thin plating = cheeze cloth coverage this eddy's way of doing biz same with his word.

check your notes eddy
Old June 12, 2011, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
in his own words thin plating = cheeze cloth coverage this eddy's way of doing biz same with his word.

check your notes eddy
Eddy use the word fine thin layer of nickel, it's very thin

Seriously, if you use to much fine thin layer instead of regular one, the margin of error is smaller.