Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2011, 10:29 AM
Trial Member

If EK wants people to use corrosion inhibitors to slow bimetallic corrosion from pores in nickel coating, then they should supply them in a concentrated form, at a reasonable price, for use in grocery store bought distilled water. Ethylene glycol and propylene glycol have zero use in a watercooling loop, unless you are running it in freezing temps. Both EG/PG have the same potential (sometimes more) for causing corrosion. It is just that antifreeze is a cheap readily available means to get corrosion inhibitors.

Their are excellent corrosion inhibitors that are water soluble for nickel, copper, brass, and some double as biocides. Rather than try to force $18 per liter down peoples throats, or force them to use antifreeze, why not sell concentrated inhibitors for $10-$15 that would be enough for 10-20 treatments of grocery store distilled, and hence compete with the simple water additives, like PT nuke, silver coil, etc. Ie, use the carrot approach, rather than the stick.

If instead of putting few drops copper sulfate as biocide, I could put a few mls of concentrated corrosion inhibitors/biocide, that would still allow preferential and cheap distilled water, not alter temp, etc....but I guess that would cut into EK's profits of selling $18 per liter of water with inhibitors in it + some that have completely unnecessary EG/PG. Though you can buy inhibitors from chemical supply companies....if interested in 55gallon drum size, with 5 drum limit purchase.
Old June 10, 2011, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

I've had a few tastes of EG .. I think I'm ok ;)
Old June 10, 2011, 01:39 PM
Top Prospect

I just recently changed to distilled + silver and will never go back to using an anticorrosive. I find it easier to avoid EK products, rather then ro be forced to use one.
Old June 10, 2011, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Short term exposure to the fumes is low risk (talking minutes not days here) from EGs. Personally, when dealing with ANY EG products the key is well ventilate area. Open windows, dont purposely breathe the shite in, wear gloves. etc etc
F1's risk from fumes is very low and I would be much more worried about ingestion but as the kaptn' is living proof...never assume when dealing with chemicals that you are SAFE, safe.

yip for spilled 100% EG jug was in basement where poor ventilation. (dry mouth, itchy were the symptoms)

had to rip the whole floor up to get rid of it.

Note with dealing with any chemical read the MSDS of it before use... and look at the vapors,absorbtion rates
Old June 10, 2011, 03:01 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I've had a few tastes of EG .. I think I'm ok ;)
Won't kill you, but brain damage seems to be the main symptom
Fold for team #54196
Old June 10, 2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
Note with dealing with any chemical read the MSDS of it before use... and look at the vapors,absorbtion rates
Yes good idea to read the MSDS, except.... manufacturers in the WC PC industry don't know what it is ...
Old June 10, 2011, 05:02 PM
Top Prospect

Again, they're only requiring anti-corrosive additives because their plating job for whatever reason is total garbage and is failing. No other vendor has had problems like these brought up in all the recent years of nickle plating, and EK never had it either until relatively recently. It doesn't matter if they outsell other vendors 100:1, this problem didn't exist for them in the past, it does now.

Unless you think the magical plating fairy has come along and turned everything on it's head from all other experience, there's really only one explanation - faulty product.
Old June 10, 2011, 08:18 PM
Top Prospect

I wonder if they are platting their blocks thereselves and have no real clue on the correct procedures
Old June 11, 2011, 07:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylSp View Post
Again, they're only requiring anti-corrosive additives because their plating job for whatever reason is total garbage and is failing. No other vendor has had problems like these brought up in all the recent years of nickle plating, and EK never had it either until relatively recently. It doesn't matter if they outsell other vendors 100:1, this problem didn't exist for them in the past, it does now.

Unless you think the magical plating fairy has come along and turned everything on it's head from all other experience, there's really only one explanation - faulty product.
2006 not the frist time Eddy had issues
Old June 11, 2011, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Whatever is going on with this either plating or tinted copper or anything else, Ni blocks are off the shelves till it clears.

Anybody who owns block(s) can switch to copper only version if needed.

I start getting RMA redirects from guys who local to us but prefer to buy from USA stores. Hopefully they will give DazMode some business in the future.
HTPC Build: Final Video