Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2011, 07:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataribot View Post
Not all anticorrosives act like a biocide; most non toxic antifreeze does not. Any mixed coolant can be thought as a solution. Todays water cooling loops do a great job seperating solutions. Especially any injector plate blocks. The more stress your system and loop, the faster the coolant will seperate. Anticorrosive will end up being a gooey mass in your blocks. If you clean your gear well, distilled water will last much longer, but does need at least one tear down per year.
Dude... Ethylene glycol is super soluble in water...

Just mix in a little automotive antifreeze. Built in corrosion inhibitor, built in biocide, and you only have to change it every 30000 miles. It even comes in different colours! (though I use clear to avoid any dye) No need to go 50/50 like your car though, 1/16 to 1/8 is lots IMO.
Old June 10, 2011, 12:01 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
Dude... Ethylene glycol is super soluble in water...

Just mix in a little automotive antifreeze. Built in corrosion inhibitor, built in biocide, and you only have to change it every 30000 miles. It even comes in different colours! (though I use clear to avoid any dye) No need to go 50/50 like your car though, 1/16 to 1/8 is lots IMO.
Save the antifreeze for your car, I am not going to put anticorrosive in my loop. EG is very toxic. I have kids and pets and won't put them at risk. Besides, what do you think is feser 1? The answer is antifreeze.
Old June 10, 2011, 04:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Once again, people are stating opinions as facts in this thread. I'm going to ask for proof.
you want to talk to my doctor ...in early WC'ing I'd lost a gallon of EG under carpet that went to wooden floor then sat on cement . I thought outta sight outta mind, for months could smell a faint order of AF, the vapours breathing effected my kidney's

the skull & bones are listed for a reason

Propylene glycol granted still toxic but less evil of EG
Old June 10, 2011, 05:00 AM
Banned

You are talking about thing you don’t even know; a poisson is dangerous only if you absorb a certain quantity, make some research before say it’s dangerous;
Car anti-freeze if 95% EG, Fezer one is only 0,005 according to the info I give in ref. it take 4 ml of pure EG to justify a medical attention, so it need 74,000 ml or 74 liter 19 gallons of Fezer One to justify a medical attention.

Ref From Wiki :
“Ethylene glycol has been shown to be toxic to humans[7] and is also toxic to domestic pets such as cats and dogs. A toxic dose requiring medical treatment varies but is considered more than 0.1 mL per kg body weight (mL/kg) of pure substance. That is roughly 16 mL of 50% ethylene glycol for an 80 kg adult and just 4 mL for a 20 kg child. Poison control centers often use more than a lick or taste in a child or more than a mouthful in an adult as a dose requiring hospital assessment.[8]
The orally lethal dose in humans has been reported as approximately 1.4 mL/kg of pure ethylene glycol.[1] That is approximately 224 mL of 50% ethylene glycol for an 80 kg adult and just 56 mL for a 20 kg child. Although survival with medical treatment has occurred with doses much higher than this, death has occurred with just 30 mL of the concentrate in an adult.[9][10][11] In the EU classification of dangerous substances it is 'harmful' (Xn) while more toxic substances are classified as 'toxic' (T) or 'very toxic' (T+). The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency‎ generally puts substances which are lethal at more than 30 g to adults in Toxicity Class III.”
Old June 10, 2011, 05:21 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Dude there is a shit ton difference between LETHAL dose and "omfg my kidneys are screwed" dose. EG will mess you up BIG time in even very minute amounts. It is not something you want to mess around with IF you can help it. One lick can seriously do major damage to your organs and kill a mid sized dog if you are not treated right away. The hospitals and poison control centers do NOT screw around when they hear you have come in contact with EG fumes, or (worse) ingested even a small amount. Its not a pretty way to go. In fact its right down there with most cancers on my list of ways I want to die.

With that being said yes F1 is fairly safe. I dont trust it as it still is EG, but YMMV on that one...after all its YOUR kidneys and family on the line...not mine.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 10, 2011, 05:46 AM
Banned

I don't know AkG I'm not Pro Fezer One or Silver coil fan boy, I use Fezer one in my last build and as many thing I use I'm interested to know what is the healt hazard, but from what I read it take 0.1 mL per kg of pure EG for requiring medical treatment. I make a mistake on my 74 liter, that's with 50% EG not pure one, so according to wiki it take 158 liter of Fezer One. A side if peoples are worry about EG, they should not park their car in their driveway, for more chance to get a dog lick EG there than around a PC. Of course I will not like to put my kids at risk, but at their age they don't leak on the floor anymore
Old June 10, 2011, 06:16 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Dude there is a shit ton difference between LETHAL dose and "omfg my kidneys are screwed" dose. EG will mess you up BIG time in even very minute amounts. It is not something you want to mess around with IF you can help it. One lick can seriously do major damage to your organs and kill a mid sized dog if you are not treated right away. The hospitals and poison control centers do NOT screw around when they hear you have come in contact with EG fumes, or (worse) ingested even a small amount. Its not a pretty way to go. In fact its right down there with most cancers on my list of ways I want to die.

With that being said yes F1 is fairly safe. I dont trust it as it still is EG, but YMMV on that one...after all its YOUR kidneys and family on the line...not mine.
Overreact much? Contradict yourself much? One lick can do major damage, but you know... Feser 1 is fairly safe. There's nothing wrong with using the levels of ethylene glycol that we're using for our loops. You'd have to tip over the bottle and drink straight from it. Pet's also aren't going to drink something that tastes like chemical shit unless they are brain dead already.

Last edited by codeman; June 10, 2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old June 10, 2011, 06:31 AM

EG tasts sweet to them mate (and you if you are dumb enough to taste it). It dont taste like chemicals. The fact you dont know this is kinda scary as its common knowledge. And like I said...go for it. There is a huge dif between distilled water safe and "fairly safe". If you took your head out of Fesser Ones arse long enough you could see that. Its not a risk I'd take (anymore, had a spill of F1 and was just able to keep my dogs away before they got to it), but if you are OK with it...go for it. As. I. Don't. Care. About. You. Never. Have. Never. Will.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 10, 2011, 06:50 AM
Banned

AkG, before your post I have no idea that EG fume can be hazardous, so i guess I did not know that much about it too. I will like to read some info about it. ( will do It latter when I have time) I know I can avoid to drink it, and my Fezer One is look in my garage, far from pets and humans , I always was my hands after play with it, but fume ?, how you can avoid breath them when you play with the coolant ?
Old June 10, 2011, 06:57 AM

Short term exposure to the fumes is low risk (talking minutes not days here) from EGs. Personally, when dealing with ANY EG products the key is well ventilate area. Open windows, dont purposely breathe the shite in, wear gloves. etc etc
F1's risk from fumes is very low and I would be much more worried about ingestion but as the kaptn' is living proof...never assume when dealing with chemicals that you are SAFE, safe.