Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Indigo extreme (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/43840-indigo-extreme.html)

kongfoo911 June 2, 2011 07:14 AM

Indigo extreme

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has done the reflow for Indigo Xtreme, with one loop?.

The manual recommend me to turn off the pump...but how the heck can i keep my videocard cool? :shok: The possibility of kiling the expensive piece of hardware make me hesitate using the Xtreme pad.

Maybe I can use the Intel Stock heatsink to do the reflow, but the FAQ does not recommend to take the heatsink off, once the reflow is done. Below is the direct quote from the site:

"Q: The Installation Guide indicated that Indigo Xtreme™ is a single-use product. Why can't it be re-used?
A: Once the heat sink has been removed (and the interface disrupted), products of corrosion, such as oxygen and moisture, have been introduced onto the top surface of the PCMA, thereby degrading both future performance and reliability."

I'm like, "WT:censored:?" I bought it and want to use it..but this is ridiculous.

Thanks all for any recommendation.

codeman June 2, 2011 07:20 AM

You GPU will have the same heat threshold as your CPU - let your GPU sit in idle state at its lower clocks and do your cycles quickly. As long as you watch the temps, and only let it heat up to the point where it is high, but your system is still stable (80-90degrees) you should be fine and not do any damage to components. They will typically shut down before they get too hot.

That being said - I've always been curious about trying Indigo, but I've got enough headroom temperature wise without it that I'd never both risking throwing that much heat into a chip in the first place just to drop 3degrees under load when my load temps never go above the low to mid 60's under water anyhow...

turtletrax June 2, 2011 06:38 PM

I am the opposite I guess. People will sell a WB just to get the new flash in the pan block to shave 0.4C and lose $40 bux. Then again I have stayed with hardware longer as of late.

I think if you plan to keep the rig in the current hardware state for a full coolant cycle, Indigo is easy and well worth it.

I have had a pump fail before and collapse 3/4" tubing and do no damage to silicon. Clocked exactly the same as before. Running close to Tmax for less than a minute is nothing.

JD June 2, 2011 06:39 PM

When I did this, I merely wiggled my GPU out of the PCIe slot and let it kind of dangle there.

Though to be honest, I didn't see any difference in my CPU temperatures.

turtletrax June 2, 2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 520633)
When I did this, I merely wiggled my GPU out of the PCIe slot and let it kind of dangle there.

Though to be honest, I didn't see any difference in my CPU temperatures.

I have had a couple skype convos with Skinnee about thoughts on install and it is fairly precise operation the first few times and is not without its problems. Pretty much have to have it perfectly flat for a proper flow.

Perhaps a reflow would increase performance?

JD June 3, 2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtletrax (Post 520636)
I have had a couple skype convos with Skinnee about thoughts on install and it is fairly precise operation the first few times and is not without its problems. Pretty much have to have it perfectly flat for a proper flow.

Perhaps a reflow would increase performance?

Perhaps. Some dust might of snuck it's way in too since my case is pretty tight to work in.

I can't really be bothered to attempt to fix it though. Maybe when I get around to draining and cleaning my entire loop...

kongfoo911 June 3, 2011 09:23 PM

Hmm alright I'll give it a try once I'm done with my "older" Antec 900 WC upgrade to smaller tubing.:thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman (Post 520418)
You GPU will have the same heat threshold as your CPU - let your GPU sit in idle state at its lower clocks and do your cycles quickly. As long as you watch the temps, and only let it heat up to the point where it is high, but your system is still stable (80-90degrees) you should be fine and not do any damage to components. They will typically shut down before they get too hot.

That being said - I've always been curious about trying Indigo, but I've got enough headroom temperature wise without it that I'd never both risking throwing that much heat into a chip in the first place just to drop 3degrees under load when my load temps never go above the low to mid 60's under water anyhow...