Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2011, 01:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Single Loop or Dual Loop? Pump enough for single?

So I really can't make up my mind on this. I have heard that dual loop isnt really any better than one bigger single loop. Right now I have the option to go both ways, as I have a single 5.25"bay res AND a dual loop 5.25" bay res.

The dual option has 2 Laing DDCs (3.25), 1 for each loop, mounted right in the XSPC res. The only reason I am thinking of not going this way, is that i really dont want to have 2 drain ports. There is an option to run the dual res. as 1 single loop by putting each loops return into the other, effectively having 2 pumps in serial, however not in succession. With that config, I am wondering what happens if one pump quits, as both pumps are relying on each other to provide water to their res. With one pump down, will the dead pump still allow water to pass through it?

The other option is, just have one bigger single loop. But I am unsure of if one Laing DDC is enough to work with what I have. The config would be RES.>PUMP>360 RAD>CPU>2nd 360 RAD>GPU BLOCK1>GPU BLOCK2>RES. And run a fillport somewhere at the lowest point of the loop.
I do have a separate pumptop for the DDC, EK Plexi V2.

Any thoughts? Keep in mind that when intel socket 2011 drops, I will just put the 2 DDCs in parallel in 1 big loop. 1 DDC good enough for the single loop?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 31, 2011, 02:19 PM

My System Specs

What bay reservoirs are you using? I would use a single loop w/ both pumps in series if at all possible. Not sure what blocks you are using, which is probably the most important thing. If they are restrictive blocks you are going to be well under 1GPM, if you were to use just a single pump in a single loop.
Old May 31, 2011, 03:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

XSPC Dual 5.25" Reservoir for Two Laing DDC's Dual Loop (XSPC-DBDL-2DCC)
EK-BAY Spin 5.25" Bay Reservoir w/ Flow Meter - Plexi (EK-BAY SPIN Plexi)

EK-FC590 GTX Ref Design GTX590 - Plexi+Nickel (EK-FC590GTX P-N) x2
EK-Supreme HF - Acetal Rev 3.0 - Universal CPU Water Block (EK-Supreme HF R3 - Acetal)
Performance Triple 120mm Radiator XSPC RX360 (RX360) x2

I would like to make do with what i have. The single loop using the Dual loop res. would be in series. The config would be Respump1>rad1>CPU>respump2>rad2>GPU Blocks 1&2>respump1.

My concern with that would be if one pump dies, does it take the other one with it by staving it of water? lol.

I reeeaaaally dont want to wait for another top :(
Old May 31, 2011, 04:22 PM
Top Prospect

If it were me at least, I would go with a single loop - and also, 1 pump would be enough for that loop but in terms of noise running the two pumps down 1,800rpm and below will provide the 'ultimate' in noise versus performance; so in this case with the MCP35x, a dual setup pump in series would be my choice.

Don't forget, if you set up your GPU blocks in parallel, the restriction level drops in comparison to even 1 card in series - I had a hard time grasping how it could drop total restriction considering you're adding an extra block when I originally was learning about the setup options; but it works because in a parallel setup you have a direct path from input flow, to output flow through the block connectors themselves.

Regardless - I have a loop that goes like this: D5 vario (setting 4) -> 360 rad -> 360 rad -> CPU block (EK HF block) -> GPU block (heatkiller 580 block) -> Reservoir

This setup with a single D5 at setting 4 (with EK top) gives you enough pumping power to run your loop right in between 1.1-1.5GPM which is perfect. I could even turn down the pump to 3 and you'd not notice a temperature difference. Where you really need 'enough' pump, is when it comes to bleeding your loop in the initial stages. At this point, the more power the better to force out all the air pockets (especially in your rads).

This information took me weeks of asking around and trying to figure out what pump/how much pump etc. would work for what I was trying to do: a lot thanks to Martin's little flow estimator spreadsheet as well, which you can find over on XS with a search.
Old May 31, 2011, 04:43 PM

My System Specs

Those blocks have very little restriction. You shouldn't have a problem w/ just a single pump in the loop.
Old May 31, 2011, 08:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Awesome, thanks a lot for the help. Now to keep an eye on those nickle plated EK blocks......