Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Advise on water cooling setup (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/43703-advise-water-cooling-setup.html)

Asad_A203 May 30, 2011 02:02 PM

Advise on water cooling setup

Hi guys,

Well I am probably going to have a watercooling setup soon enough and was looking for input on my build. This will be going into an Antec 902 and will be a water loop for two 5870s only right now (will add my third one later on if I can find a water block and my CPU very late on with another radiator for it).

Here is the part list:

Reservoir: XSPC Single 5.25" Acrylic
Pump: Swiftech MCP355 with XSPC top
Radiator: Swiftech MCR 320 (Triple 120MM radiator)
Tubing: 1/2" UV Green Tubing
Barbs: Feser 1/2" 10x Nickel coated barbs
Clamps: 8x Koolace 5/8" OD clamp
Fluid: Distilled water with Dazmode Protectant fluid
Fans: 3X Cooler Master 69CFM (19 DB) [Pull setup]
Etc: PCI Expansion Slot with Molex adapters

GPU block: EK 5870 Block
Bridge: EK Triple Parrallel Bridge

Proposed setup:

Pump -> Reservoir -> GPU blocks -> Radiator

Here is how my case currently looks:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2547/...dc360242_z.jpg

^ With the above image in mind, my reservoir will be mounted in the bay immediately above, the reservoir will be mounted where the top plastic tab is (by my video cards). The radiator will be outside the case and will be attached where the back 120MM fan is (the bottom of the radiator will be screwed here). The tubing will be ran through the existing Antec slots. The pump will sit at the bottom of the case.

So does this sound alright? I was also considering to use a Switech Micro Revo 2 as my reservoir (not sure if it can fit though) and placing it higher in the case and make it so it is not too difficult to bend. I do prefer the clean look of it being in the 5.25" bay though.

Also, would a 1/2" tube be too difficult to fit around the 5870s in an Antec 902?

Thanks in advance.

MattC May 30, 2011 02:11 PM

I'm sure someone will confirm, but I believe you always want to res. before the pump. That way the pump always has plenty of water ready to go...providing you top the res. up.

Confirm? Deny?

Prolab May 31, 2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattC (Post 519368)
I'm sure someone will confirm, but I believe you always want to res. before the pump. That way the pump always has plenty of water ready to go...providing you top the res. up.

Confirm? Deny?

Correct. You always want the Res before the pump. Everything else, the order doesnt matter.

kongfoo911 June 1, 2011 02:56 PM

1/2" shouldn't be a problem for the case you have. I have antec 900 and it's smaller than your 902 and boy did I have fun with them...so my new build is a HAF-X case with 3/8" instead. Waaaay easier to route. Maybe you can learn from my mistake :)

Asad_A203 June 1, 2011 03:23 PM

^ I am thinking about an HAF X or a Cooler Master 800D. I like the space/build quality of the Corsair 800D/Silverstone TJ07 but I am not sure it really $150-200 better built than a HAF-X.

Hmm, I am not sure an Antec 900 is any smaller than a 902. I think the only differences are cosmetics and the wire management.

kongfoo911 June 1, 2011 05:37 PM

I've had the same debate about those two cases just like you. But 800D is too expensive for a little improvement...Plus I got the HAF-X so I can have moar money for my watercooling components. :bananafunky:
Almost finished with the cable management...now waiting on the led light to come and finished it up. I'll post pics once I'm done.

AmuseMe June 2, 2011 11:54 AM

The cases get more expensive because of material. An 800D and the TJ07 (especially the TJ07) aren't "plastic toy tanks", like a HAF-X :thumb: Ill never look back on my purchase on the TJ07 :)

Oh, and I personally like 3/8 x 5/8 tubing on 1/2 barbs.

krajee June 2, 2011 12:02 PM

I managed to fit 3/8" ID tubing and a 5970 in my 900...with an internal 360. Space shouldn't be an issue.