Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2008, 09:16 AM
Rookie

Default scythe ultra kaze are BAD for overvolting!!!

ok, so i was checking out the fan behaviour, and comparing my arctic cooling fans against my scythe fans and against the stock OCZ fan on the vendetta.

the scythe fans SUCK ARSE for overvolting. i was able to get the AC and OCZ fans to spin faster and push more air by taking them as high as 24V (up to 32V on the OCZ), and all they did was spin faster, push more air, make more noise, and pull more current - but they just kept on working.

the scythe ultra kaze (2000rpm version) blew up at just over 15V. fried. dead. looks like some windings got shorted, or some other internal circuitry is shorted, cuz now the sucker pulls 500mA at just 5V (when undamaged, it pulled around 200mA at 12V)

the scythe slip-stream 1600rpm never got pushed beyond 12V since it's a power hungry mofo (takes over 400mA at 12V) and my adjustable power supply has a 500mA current limit. i guess that fan was lucky.....

so, if anyone has the brilliant idea of pushing a scythe fan FASTER by feeding it more voltage - DON'T.

also, i noticed that the scythes don't begin to spin until they get to about 5V, whereas the AC fans begin to spin at 2.7V or so.

the AC 8025 (21dB) and 9225 (24.5dB) are also WAY quieter compared to the slip-stream (33dB). the ratings make that obvious, but they're WAY better than the ratings would suggest.
Nothing's out there. All there is is sea, and birds, and fish. And 20,000 tonnes of crude oil. And a fire. And the part of the ship that the front fell off. But there's nothing else out there - it's a complete void. The environment's perfectly safe.
Old February 1, 2008, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris10 View Post
ok, so i was checking out the fan behaviour, and comparing my arctic cooling fans against my scythe fans and against the stock OCZ fan on the vendetta.

the scythe fans SUCK ARSE for overvolting. i was able to get the AC and OCZ fans to spin faster and push more air by taking them as high as 24V (up to 32V on the OCZ), and all they did was spin faster, push more air, make more noise, and pull more current - but they just kept on working.

the scythe ultra kaze (2000rpm version) blew up at just over 15V. fried. dead. looks like some windings got shorted, or some other internal circuitry is shorted, cuz now the sucker pulls 500mA at just 5V (when undamaged, it pulled around 200mA at 12V)

the scythe slip-stream 1600rpm never got pushed beyond 12V since it's a power hungry mofo (takes over 400mA at 12V) and my adjustable power supply has a 500mA current limit. i guess that fan was lucky.....

so, if anyone has the brilliant idea of pushing a scythe fan FASTER by feeding it more voltage - DON'T.

also, i noticed that the scythes don't begin to spin until they get to about 5V, whereas the AC fans begin to spin at 2.7V or so.

the AC 8025 (21dB) and 9225 (24.5dB) are also WAY quieter compared to the slip-stream (33dB). the ratings make that obvious, but they're WAY better than the ratings would suggest.
Why in dear gods name do you want these to spin faster? They are already spin fast enough and move enough air especially if its the 38mm version.