Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2011, 06:45 AM
Banned

Default EK Plating, finally some news

News

Nickel Plating Issues - 30/05/2011
I would like to announce that we got the test results from renown independent institution, which we contacted for solution on situation with nickel-plating issues. I would like to be clear in one thing, it took 2 month for the institution to make tests as any test with nickel is a long term project, if you want to be thorough.

We are now in process of translation.
We will put that report on our page in 2-3 days.

There were allot of confusion and lack of argumented information so we were really looking forward for the results of the study and let me just say for now, we were very surprised with the results.

Edvard KŲnig

News | EkWaterBlocks
Old May 30, 2011, 07:05 AM
Banned

Judging by the statement they found something they was not aware of, what is that pic, impurity?, contamination ? I will not be surprise the nickel was contaminated with copper, itís happen in the plating industry, a quick search on Google and I found this.

http://www.finishing.com/569/98.shtml

And this will explain why the plating is dissolving instead of peeling, if so itís good news and bad news, ití means there is a chance that not all block are contaminated. Letís wait few day for the final translation.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:04 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

So am I safe to assume that my non-plated EK copper block is immune to this problem then?
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old May 30, 2011, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
So am I safe to assume that my non-plated EK copper block is immune to this problem then?
As long as you use some anti-corrosive (should say anti-oxidant) stuff you are good. But something tell me the next EK block will be bullet proof
Old May 30, 2011, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

it would be fine if i use distilled water with pure silver killcoil?

own one supremem hf (non-nickel version)
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
it would be fine if i use distilled water with pure silver killcoil?

own one supremem hf (non-nickel version)

Distillate water vs anti-corrosive stuff, big debate;
Personally I use the stuff Daz sell, fezer one without dye and black tubing to avoid algae problem, even if peoples use Distillate water, you still have a chance to have silicate in the water, unless you use a special DI cartridge to remove them, the silicate are one of the principal nutrient of algae. Algae need light also, So you cut the light or the food or you kill them ( silver coil), if you use Distillate water make sure it's triple distillate, not all Distillate water are the same
But silver do nothing for the oxidation of copper.
Old May 30, 2011, 09:04 AM
Banned

To come back to the subject; I'm anxious to have the final word of EK on it, I donít like to remove block, especially on the motherboard just to check, they are not leaking for now, but chance are if I play with them I can make a mistake a create a leak. Iím thinking to order a chemical to detect copper in water, far more easy than disable a block, itís for aquarium, the problem is to have a reference, what is the level acceptable in a loop

Here an example of the test :

Copper Mini Lab
Old May 30, 2011, 11:11 AM
Top Prospect

If the final word has anything to do with blaming the coolant customers are using in their loops (which ranges from plain distilled to premix and everything between), there is going to be hell to pay.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylSp View Post
If the final word has anything to do with blaming the coolant customers are using in their loops (which ranges from plain distilled to premix and everything between), there is going to be hell to pay.

the problem I can see is the dowm time for X weeks if we have to send our block to Slovakia unless it's the resellers who gone take care of the exchange. I was not worry for the small Intel financial problem with their 1155 board , but EK is a small company.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:18 AM
Top Prospect

When you're running water through metal blocks such as copper, nickel plated copper, and brass you're going to have corrosion over a period of time - especially without specific corrosion inhibitors in conjunction with your distilled water. Water erodes everything in its path over time in nature. Why would it be any different in a loop if you think about it logically. No metal is 100% resistive, everything eventually breaks down. Especially when you take into consideration that each one of these components are dipped in chemical baths for cleaning, plating, some copper blocks have a coating to help protect their shine... flux is used in the radiators, brass itself is not a 'noble metal' and is actually an alloy of copper and Zinc etc. etc. Who's to say there's not a chemical reaction that has been over-looked? No manufacturer is 100% perfect - look at everything you own and buy outside of this gear; the difference between some manufacturers and others is their base level of attention and detail in products. To this degree, I think EK is doing a good job and I'm sure the information they present will be viable. Of course... I can't wait for those who don't believe anything other than EK is trying to screw its customers over :)

Touchy subject for sure! Though I can almost 100% assure you this is due to corrosion, and not simply flaking of a poor nickel plating job -- don't be surprised when people get up in arms because they don't like the conclusion. If you compare the base and overall design of an EK block with other manufacturers, you'll see that they are one of the better guys - it's apparent when you hold up a couple side-by-side; though I would reiterate... these are hobby level products. Not exactly in the same class as a water cooled Google server farm using dirty and salty sea water, nor does it need to be :)
Closed Thread