Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2011, 05:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

After all this recent uproar, I decided to tear apart my Acetal+Nickel FC5870 block today and glad to say it looks pristine. Has had Feser One UV Blue and Thermochill EC-6 UV Blue ran through it for roughly a year. And well tap water for about a week or so just recently as I was doing some leak testing of my modified pump.

Granted maybe it's "too old" to be affected by this anyways. I have an Acetal+Nickel FC580 that I just put on my GTX580 though...so hopefully it isn't bad.
Old May 31, 2011, 05:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
After all this recent uproar, I decided to tear apart my Acetal+Nickel FC5870 block today and glad to say it looks pristine. Has had Feser One UV Blue and Thermochill EC-6 UV Blue ran through it for roughly a year. And well tap water for about a week or so just recently as I was doing some leak testing of my modified pump.

Granted maybe it's "too old" to be affected by this anyways. I have an Acetal+Nickel FC580 that I just put on my GTX580 though...so hopefully it isn't bad.
I was looking at this one too before this uproar. Now I'm holding off, and hoping I'm not over-reacting. better to wait a week or two before pulling the trigger on that one. Let me know how it works out for you JD!
Fold for team #54196
Old May 31, 2011, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My EK 580 block has the problem as well. I'd say watch it really closely JD, especially around the middle screw. Seems the biggest problem areas are where fluid gets to and sits, out of the direct flow.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old May 31, 2011, 06:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
My EK 580 block has the problem as well. I'd say watch it really closely JD, especially around the middle screw. Seems the biggest problem areas are where fluid gets to and sits, out of the direct flow.
Is that plating is failing or screw get rusted and spills rust around?
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old May 31, 2011, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It hasn't touched the screw, it's sitting about half a centimetre above and to the left of it.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old May 31, 2011, 06:20 PM

My System Specs

A couple of better pictures of my SR-2 block. Yes the red is from dye but you can still see where the plating is rubbing off. With the mosfet block I was able to feel where the plating has rubbed off w/ a pick.

Old May 31, 2011, 06:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
Unfortunately I can't really "watch" it though since I don't have a plexi top.

I'll likely dump my loop in about a month's time though, so I'll just rip the block apart then. I surely hope EK would still honor warranty even if the sticker is broken since this is a defect and I'm merely checking to see if it exists...

I knew I should of bought the Koolance block ;)
Old May 31, 2011, 06:53 PM
Top Prospect

Lowfat, when did you buy these blocks and what were you running for coolant in your loop?

FYI, the EK sticker only warranties that it is leak tested at the factory. If you open your block, it doesn't void manufacturing defects.
Old May 31, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All these posts make me really glad I just went with the straight up Acetal good 'ole black blocks for my Mobo and GPU :D
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 31, 2011, 07:10 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
Lowfat, when did you buy these blocks and what were you running for coolant in your loop?

FYI, the EK sticker only warranties that it is leak tested at the factory. If you open your block, it doesn't void manufacturing defects.
I don't know when they were bought since I bought them from matsta31 on the forums here. He probably bought them in December/January I assume. But it was brand new when I started using them at the beginning of May.

I ran distilled water + 2 drops of PT Nuke + silver coil + ~ 10 drops of Mayhems red dye.
Closed Thread