Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Codeman, I think it's impurities in the Nickel, probably copper like I talk in my other post, will make sense, so the plating will start to corrode around those small impurity of copper. Look at the electronic microscope pic on the EK web site... Can we blame a small company for a mistake not under their control, as I said it's Eastern Europe, they don't have the latest technology, but they are not stupid, they will fine a solution, and we need EK
Old May 30, 2011, 10:28 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
Touchy subject for sure! Though I can almost 100% assure you this is due to corrosion, and not simply flaking of a poor nickel plating job -- don't be surprised when people get up in arms because they don't like the conclusion. If you compare the base and overall design of an EK block with other manufacturers, you'll see that they are one of the better guys - it's apparently when you hold up a couple side-by-side; though I would reiterate... these are hobby level products. Not exactly in the same class as a water cooled Google server farm using dirty and salty sea water, nor does it need to be :)
I've been watercooling for nearly 10 years and this is the first time I've ever had a problem w/ a block. Never have used anything besides plain ol' RO water (and an biocide here and there). And if you compare the EK blocks to the other manufacturers you will see that only recent EK blocks have had this problem. I've never once had problems w/ any of the Koolance nickle plated blocks.

I've had loops go for months and months w/o issues, yet my EK SR-2 block starts to wear out after a month? Definitely not just a corrosion issue.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:11 AM
Top Prospect

AFAIK, there weren't any blocks being made that were nickel plated 10 years ago... this is a fairly recent thing in the last 2-3 years after poking around for prior product release information out of curiosity. Regardless, you could be right - perhaps it might be a combination of the two especially if other brands aren't experiencing the issue in such a wide-spread manner.

Regardless... wait for the announcement. If you're dead set on it being bad nickel plating, end of story... then for sure you'll be disappointed when it comes time for announcement I'm sure. We'll all find out soon; come back to this thread for an "I told you so" when they announce there's some sort of chemical reaction taking place, aiding in the separation of the nickel :P
Old May 30, 2011, 12:24 PM
Top Prospect

In reality they can announce it was caused by bacon grease from flying pigs, it doesn't really matter. If people with the problem aren't taken care of (ie they find blame with coolants used so no RMA), then you can pretty much kiss goodbye any of the brand goodwill that keeps small companies like EK in business.

*Hopefully* there is the only good news possible relayed when this is translated, that customers will be taken care of. I think that's all anyone cares about at this point.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

I was thinking on what was changed in past 12 month and at least two things come to my mind.

First is a massive switch to Nickel plated blocks for better looks as everybody were tired from darkened looks of copper. I looked into my inventory for 2009 and was predominately non-plated blocks, now bare copper blocks are exotic choice. So we had massive switch to new style of finish.

Second is a surge of silver coils. Nobody asked me for KillCoils a year ago, but I was mocked really hard in 2010 for not carrying it. So other change is massive introducing silver into the loop.

Water, PT Nuke, Feser and other stuff are seems stayed the same.

So just on speculative level, I wonder if Silver may be a catalyst for any of material in our loops: copper, brass/zink, nickel, pvc, additives, anything...

I also wonder why other brands seems not affected, although we need keep in mind that next runner Koolance for example sells against EK at 1:100 ratio.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old May 30, 2011, 12:41 PM
Banned

It's only silver, or copper sulphate ( PT nuke) in a loop that create the problem Lowfat is experiencing in only 1 month, some chemical reaction started well before he purchase this block, now is it a contamination with copper like Iím thinking or contamination in the underlying between the copper and the nickel, we donít know itís and itís what we expect to learn in those next days.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well, we will know soon....

In meanwhile I have already requested pricing for non-plated copper bottoms for entire catalogue. We can use this as fall back plan if there is no other choice to address that.
Old May 30, 2011, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanboy View Post
It's only silver, or copper sulphate ( PT nuke) in a loop that create the problem Lowfat is experiencing in only 1 month, some chemical reaction started well before he purchase this block, now is it a contamination with copper like Iím thinking or contamination in the underlying between the copper and the nickel, we donít know itís and itís what we expect to learn in those next days.
If this is a contamination issue, does it mean that contaminated parts needs to be thrown away?
Old May 30, 2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
If this is a contamination issue, does it mean that contaminated parts needs to be thrown away?

Honestly I don't understand why Ek don't ask you to put an hold in the selling of their stuf until the results of their investigation, and I espect they will exchange your ( may be ) defectives block for new one upgraded. I have no experience with EK customer service, from what I read they like to put the blame on the end user.... we will see this time.

But if you ask me my next block will be copper, look what happen I have to order in-line filter , some fezer liquid and some black tubing just to inspect my loop as soon as UPS arrive ( yes it's me that order put shutttt....)

Last edited by Lanboy; May 30, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old May 30, 2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

Daz, for the contamination, you always have the option to sand blast inside the block and re-plate it, let's wait to see first
Closed Thread