Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2011, 08:09 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Blackie: Water cooled 800D updated with Koolance 580 and HK3.0 black Lamptron touch

Here guys is what I have been working on the past few days. Loved the look of all the Corsair Obsidian 800D setups here, so I decided to do one myself. Loved the all-black interior. Was going to wait until later on, but with the Chimp Challenge coming up I wanted to get this done now.

List of parts. Most water parts purchased at Dazmode. Included all parts that some folks might wonder would work in a setup like this.
  • SR1 Black Ice 360 rad, 6 fans (25mm top and 20mm bottom)
  • Heatkiller 3.0 with backplate
  • Swiftech MCP 655-B Pump, with EK D5 X-Top rev.2
  • EK Multioption tube reservoir, basic
  • 1/2in ID tubing
Rig parts:
  • Asus Rampage III Formula
  • i7 970@4.0Ghz
  • 6GB Mushkin Redlines
  • 2 x Evga GTX 460 1GB
  • Corsair AX1200 watt PSU
  • X-Fi Titanium
  • Hauppauge 2250 PVR
  • Corsair 800D, stock fans
  • OCZ Vertex 2 240GB, and Vertex 120G, and WD Black 1GB
  • LG Blu-ray rw
All these parts weighed 63lbs when complete. I have not handled anything this big and bulky since Perineum's mom stopped by.

This is the finished product. Sorry about the pictures it was done quickly on my phone:

This is a few notes I took for others looking at this build with similar parts as myself:

I needed a place to put the MCP655 pump. Thankfully, the EK Top allowed me some options as to where the outlet would be from stock. I decided to take the small cover off the bottom hard drive tray, and use the unused space for the pump. I used double-sided tape to secure it to the bottom for now, as I could not attach it to the cage in a manner I felt was secure:

Another look from the from of the case with front bezel off:

The above picture shows how I could access the speed controller of the pump if I wish.

Next, I had to attach the reservoir. I decided I would use one of the E-ATX motherboard mounting holes to attach the res. Here is the hole I used, as there was plenty of clearance from the motherboard:

Then, I used a couple of EK reservoir mounting kits (Dazmode purchase again) like these:

Then I put two of the together so that it attached to the reservoir like this:

Then I mounted it like this:

I used the PCI-slot thumbscrew that came with the case (ie. normally used to secure a video card) that fit into the motherboard mounting hole perfectly. Black, and comes with the case. I would like to add a small nut at the back when I find one though.

This is a closer look at how the reservoir and pump looked when done:

Besides the crappy picture quality, seemed to work pretty well.

I was really impressed with all the space at the back of the case, behind the motherboard tray. Below, you will see that I was able to fit a power splitter that I was able to attach a molex power cable, and 6 radiator fans. I was able to close the case with this installed:

I attached the above power splitter with double-sided tape.

Here is a look at the rat's nest of cables when I was done the build...I was not too careful here to be honest:

Here is how it looked with the back on (a tight fit but no problems, except a bad picture):

Those are the only things I could tell anyone that might interest those looking to do a build with this case. Options for the pump, and lots of room behind the tray. Would fit a 360mm rad in a push-pull no problem.

A few more pics to finish up...love this case, and very good quality!

Great case and I love the all-black!

Temps, Comparison to the ATCS 840:

So far, compare to my Cooler master ATCS 840 this rig was just in, my temps are equal for the cpu (~50c folding), and my northbridge temps are 10c lower (not sure why yet...~55c for the 800D, 65c for the ATCS...will have to watch this as I thought the ATCS was better for air movement). temps for the GTX 460s are the same as the ATCS (~35c idle, 60c load).
Fold for team #54196
Old April 11, 2011, 10:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Nice! Welcome to the 800D club chris!

I might try that setup with your pump when i re-do my setup sometime this summer.

Although, i might drill a hole on the case to secure another screw on your reservoir bracket. Personally, im not too keen on having one screw to secure your reservoir especially with a bracket like that.

Gaming Rig:

-Swiffy MCP35x X2 & 240 Rad, (2) 480 EX XSPC Rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HTPC Rig:

-AMD 1100T, Gigabyte UD5, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, Asus 650ti Boost, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Antec 650 watt PS, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old April 12, 2011, 12:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
All these parts weighed 63lbs when complete. I have not handled anything this big and bulky since Perineum's mom stopped by.
pffft. My mom would toss that thing around like.... well... like she tosses you around.
Old April 12, 2011, 12:10 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Where'd you get the fan splitter? It's a sunbeam one right? I've only seen it sold on Jab-Tech which is an american site :l
Old April 12, 2011, 01:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
pffft. My mom would toss that thing around like.... well... like she tosses you around.
Yeah she's a tosser alright..

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old April 12, 2011, 02:52 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

What fans did you use for your radiators?
Old April 12, 2011, 01:54 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolab View Post
Although, i might drill a hole on the case to secure another screw on your reservoir bracket. Personally, im not too keen on having one screw to secure your reservoir especially with a bracket like that.
Yeah I am thinking the same thing. Didn't want to start drilling holes right away, and scratch up the interior. I'll either add a nut on the back, or get a sensible drill bit that will allow me to drill a hole in there for another screw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launcherstrike View Post
Where'd you get the fan splitter? It's a sunbeam one right? I've only seen it sold on Jab-Tech which is an american site :l
Yep its a Sunbeam splitter. I bought it from kruzn4evr here on HWC, and I believe he got it from Performance PCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugox View Post
What fans did you use for your radiators?
They are Scythe fans, but not sure the exact models.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 12, 2011, 02:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

Nice setup!

I'm guessing the computer does more than just folding?
Old April 12, 2011, 02:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
Nice setup!

I'm guessing the computer does more than just folding?
Haha yep. Acts as a media server much of the time, and some light video work and the odd game. I game much less than I used to though. This rig is my baby though for sure.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 12, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good Chris! They certainly are a beast of a case.