Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2011, 07:39 PM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

Default X2O 200 + Loop Questions

Anybody have one or have any idea how they stack up against the X2O 750 Dual 5.25"? I feel it would be much simpler than a separate res and pump because it would save space and tubing.I don't think I'll have room for a dual bay because I will probably be using 3 of them for ODDs and an HDD.

I plan on having a loop with 2 rads to cool my CPU and GPU, I was thinking an RX 120mm on bottom and a RS 120mm in the top of the case. I will have two pull Gentle Typhoons for the top RS 120mm and RX 120mm, a GT or the stock CM black 120mm as exhaust and then the stock LED as intake. I don't want side fans.

I wan't to use 3/8" OD clear hose because it would be harder to kink in the CM 690 II. I plan on using compression fitting because of the better seal and look. Thermochill EC6 (UV Blue) as my coolant, a Rasa GPU universal mount block for the GPU I decide on and a XSPC Rasa Acetal as my CPU block.

How does that setup sound? I don't know how to setup the loop in order either.

I know this is better and quitter than air, but is it worth it if I'm not OCing my GPU? If I went for just a CPU loop would that be better, because it would definitely be cheaper Maybe an RS Pull maybe Push/Pull if there is room?

I'm looking for your thoughts, expertise and guidance!
Old April 1, 2011, 08:05 PM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

The XSPC runs at 200lph, is this to little for my GPU and CPU? How about just my CPU?
Old April 2, 2011, 06:57 AM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

Anybody? I really need some help with this!
Old April 2, 2011, 03:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hotdog;

According to the video review here on HWC, you can install a 240mm radiator on the top, and/ or a 240mm radiator at the bottom of this case Cooler Master 690 II Advanced Video Review

Either (240mm radiator) would do for a CPU/ Gpu setup.You can get a better kit than the Swiftech; either EKWB EK Complete Watercooling kit H3O HF 240 (Dual Rad) EK Complete Watercooling kit H3O HF 240 [H3O-240HF] - $239.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store includes 3/8 ID tubing.

or XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 Complete CPU WaterCooling Kit Rasa 750 RS240 Complete CPU WaterCooling Kit [RASA750KIT] - $143.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store (although this one works with 7/16" hoses on 1/2" barbs, and doesn't come with coolant)

Both kits are excellent choices for those just starting to get into water cooling, here's a review of the XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 Water Cooling Kit

Homer J. Simpson
Old April 2, 2011, 08:16 PM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

Thanks but the EK one may be a bit pricey for me, then again the XSPC has the wrong tubing. I know I can fit a thick 240 on the bottom, but a thin one on top. Is it worth cooling my GPU if I'm not OCing, would it be better than air?

If you get a rad with a res, do you not need a res then?
Old April 3, 2011, 02:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You might consider this kit: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...kit-209-a.html

Reasonable price and very compact design.

If your not OC'ing, no need to watercool anything really. It might be potentially quieter and cooler, but it's not necessary. However you'd probably spend around $100 in "quiet" fans anyways, so watercooling isn't too much more.

Watercooling the GPU gives huge temperature reductions and takes away probably the main noise maker in a PC. However a fullcover block runs $100 alone.
Old April 3, 2011, 04:38 PM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

I don't really want to give up my HDD cage in my CM 690 II because I need the majority of them. Is there a way I can run a GPU and CPU on a slim 240 rad only? What about a 120 and 240 slim rad? If I get the ATI Raedon 5870 and don't OC, but use air cooling will water cooling be that much better and make it quieter? If I'm spending 200 I want it to be quite and better than fans thats for sure
Old April 3, 2011, 07:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That Swiftech kit is a "slim" 240mm rad. It's just that it has the integrated reservoir and pump at either end.

And you can run a CPU and GPU on a 240mm rad fine, don't expect the best temperatures ever, but it should still be better than air while being quieter (depends on your pump and the fans used on the rad).

However if you have adequate airflow, the HD5870 on air should be fairly quiet. It'll only get noisy during long gaming sessions, but you'll obviously have the game sounds to mask it.
Old April 5, 2011, 03:04 PM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
That Swiftech kit is a "slim" 240mm rad. It's just that it has the integrated reservoir and pump at either end.

And you can run a CPU and GPU on a 240mm rad fine, don't expect the best temperatures ever, but it should still be better than air while being quieter (depends on your pump and the fans used on the rad).

However if you have adequate airflow, the HD5870 on air should be fairly quiet. It'll only get noisy during long gaming sessions, but you'll obviously have the game sounds to mask it.
True, what about heat?
Old April 5, 2011, 05:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I can't really say for certain...

Depends on your airflow, ambient temperature, etc. And well every chip has different thermal characteristics.

Honestly though, if you don't plan to overclock, I wouldn't bother with water cooling just for the sake of doing it. It ends up costing you way too much money and all the hassle in maintenance and what not. Sometimes I regret my purchases, but it's too late to go back now...

In your situation, I'd suggest a H60/70 to cool your CPU and just stick with the default cooling on your video card. Add a couple case fans if temperatures are too high for your liking.