Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2011, 08:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Unhappy Corsair H50 RMA issues?

Hiya,

I haven't been tinkering much since I blew my budget (and my wife's patience) so I haven't posted for a bit. But I've seen discussions on RMA process here before. I apologize if this isn't the ideal forum for this topic but it's not entirely off topic since it's a water cooling part that I'm having trouble with and this is a dual part question.

First the trouble: My Corsair H50, like many reported in other forums, has started making that ticking noise that at first sounds like metal shards in the pump but has been explained as simply air bubbles. There's a youtube video by another guy that has the same issue.

I first noticed I was going to have a problem when my overclocked CPU temps started to climb and then I began to get Blue Screens. Next the noise came, to the point that my daughter had to shutdown my comp when she came home from school since it sounded like it was going to self destruct.

When I start it back up the bubbles must get displaced since it no longer makes the noise. The performance of the cooler is no longer what it was before even so.

So the first question is: Has anyone RMA'd one of these before? Does Hardware Canucks have any representatives of Corsair poking around? I tried the RMA form on Corsairs site but they don't even send confirmation by email that you logged a case and it's been a couple of days without contact. I've read that others have experienced this lack of response, which if true is disappointing I though Corsair was a top knotch company. My RMA experience with OCX was much more positive.

The second question is: If I can't get any response from Corsair is there a way that I can DIY fix this issue? Something like bleeding my car brakes to get the air out of the line. The H50 is a closed system as far as I can tell, I don't want to pull the hoses willy nilly. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in Advance.

Greg.

Old April 1, 2011, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've done a RMA for a fan with corsair not so long ago and it can take some time to get an answer. If you want more news of them and find that it's getting long, just call them they will anser all your question pretty fast. Corsair still have an awesome service, they are simply getting bigger faster than that CS team.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old April 1, 2011, 09:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the response, that makes me a little more comfortable with them. I'll wait a couple of business days then try calling. As long as my rig stays up for now it's not critical.

Old April 1, 2011, 11:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes Corsair is a good company but make sure you keep contacting them, or trying. Even send them an EMail linking this post here.
Because sometimes once someone see's that an issue is so public it gets attention faster than normal.

MM is right though, they are growing much faster than their CS lineup is so that could create a bit of a bottleneck.

In all honesty, if it is covered by warranty get your warranty out of it, do not take it apart as you will never get it replaced after that point.

They are Tier 1 , and hopefully they will give you support like Tier 1 companies do.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 1, 2011, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair.com
corsair's policy to
Request a Return Material Authorization Number (RMA#)

Please follow these steps to obtain an RMA number:
  • End users must request an RMA# online at Support
  • Direct customers must complete the RMA request form and return it to RMAService@corsairmemory.com
  • All RMA requests must include the following information for processing
    • Corsair Part Number (for DRAM modules, also include the Corsair Lot Code as shown on each module: xxxxxx-xx)
    • Return Quantity
    • Reason for return
  • All RMA requests are reviewed and confirmed within one business day
  • All RMA's are processed as "Receive then Replace" unless alternate terms have been agreed upon previously
  • End users may request advance replacement but must provide a valid credit card to secure the shipment
if you get no help from them and good with tools. i'll help you, let me know
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; April 1, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old April 1, 2011, 12:22 PM
Top Prospect

I've had great RMA experience with corsair very recently. my case had issues with fron IO panel, everytime i tried to plug something it, it shortens and computer shuts down so I posted on corsair forums actually and one of their rep contacted me and directed me to right guy to send an email to and it did take roughly a week to back and forth emails and they sent me a brand new case and told me to keep the defective one.

they shipped case on friday or so and it arrived on monday. from their head office to vancouver, bc! fast shipping!
Old April 1, 2011, 06:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow you guys are fantastic!

Thanks for the information and pics KaptCrunch, I didn't get lucky with my google search on bleeding the air out, just contradiction with some stating that the air noise is normal, not convinced, any pump can't work well if it's sucking air... Then there's my temps climbing...

Whether or not my post here jogged something or they just had an issue with their support site, I got a reply at ~6pm today and they're going to provide me an RMA#.

So I'll take Soultribunal's advice and leave the current one alone and RMA it. I hope they send me one and then I return the defective, this is my main rig and if it has to go without a cooler for a while I'll have to put my air back which means pulling the mobo to replace the bracket... :P

Thanks for the info Mekaw that sounds like a terrific experience. No one likes to RMA but if you have to having it painless is the next best thing to having it perfect the first time 'round.

Old April 1, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

theres a 2 warranty so send it back and use a fan in the mean time.

for those who are past warranty, take a washable marker and mark cpu plate and housing with it to keep same spot after removing the inner screws.

NOTE works best with a bench vise (not replacing fluid)

then (verticle line) have rad hanging below on hoses and pump above copper plate facing the ceiling while catching the gear flange on jaws of vice and not clamping on pump housing.

once cpu HS plate is off. and leaving it pump in vice, check for dirt on WB an clean
DistilledWater fill cavitiy level an replace WB torqing staggared patteren, have paper towel
catch spill
Attached Images

Old April 2, 2011, 09:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekaw View Post
I've had great RMA experience with corsair very recently. my case had issues with fron IO panel, everytime i tried to plug something it, it shortens and computer shuts down so I posted on corsair forums actually and one of their rep contacted me and directed me to right guy to send an email to and it did take roughly a week to back and forth emails and they sent me a brand new case and told me to keep the defective one.

they shipped case on friday or so and it arrived on monday. from their head office to vancouver, bc! fast shipping!
How long have you been using your H50 before the troubles?

Where does Corsair make you ship the item?
I like to purchase from companies that have locations in Canada
Old April 3, 2011, 12:59 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippy View Post
How long have you been using your H50 before the troubles?

Where does Corsair make you ship the item?
I like to purchase from companies that have locations in Canada
um did you read? it was for the CASE not the H50. I have custom wc loop. i had problem with corsair 600T case.

they are not in canada, they didnt make me ship the faulty case back but let me keep it and sent me a new one with express or air shipping which took 2 days from i believe from california to vancouver, bc

but keep in mind, they handle every warranty differently. never dealt with them for any other stuff.