Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2008, 04:44 PM
Top Prospect

Default Fan loop

I'm just wondering, I have all my fans hooked up, the case fans are all molex connectors.. I was wondering if I could plug them all into eachother if I had a aux connector....? That way could I have more then 1 fan plugged into an aux plug or not...
Old January 21, 2008, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

What do you mean by aux connector, exactly?
Old January 21, 2008, 04:54 PM
Top Prospect

It says aux or sys fan 1 on the motherboard.. I have 1 plugged into it, but I'm just wondering if I could plug a couple into eachother and just route it as 1 line.. Or will there not be enough power?
Old January 21, 2008, 05:00 PM
Rookie

my mobo has a 22 watt limit on fans driven from the mobo connector, and that includes the cpu fan. yours likely has a limit listed in the manual somewhere too.
Nothing's out there. All there is is sea, and birds, and fish. And 20,000 tonnes of crude oil. And a fire. And the part of the ship that the front fell off. But there's nothing else out there - it's a complete void. The environment's perfectly safe.
Old January 21, 2008, 05:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I run all my fans off 1 molex connector from the PSU. I wouldn't run a bunch of fans on a single fan header on the motherboard though.
Old January 21, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

A mobo fan header will probably have enough headroom for two or three LOW speed fans (1200 rpm or less).

I'm just not sure why you'd want to. You'll loose rpm monitoring, for starters. And unless you've got some sort of stackable fan plug, you're looking at wire splicing. If you're willing to go to the trouble of wire splicing, you may as well do it with a regular Molex connector, which won't even break a sweat at over 50 watts.
Old January 21, 2008, 06:30 PM
Rookie

yeah, indeed. unless your mobo can control the 12V line to slow the fans down, you might as well just run them from the power supply itself. and if it DOES control the 12V line for speed adjustments, there's ways of using it that are cheap but require a wee bit of manual labour.
Nothing's out there. All there is is sea, and birds, and fish. And 20,000 tonnes of crude oil. And a fire. And the part of the ship that the front fell off. But there's nothing else out there - it's a complete void. The environment's perfectly safe.