Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2011, 04:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just to give you a picture of what i'm talking about: my old setup.

Out the top of the resevoir was the fill line.
That's a 250 - a bit tall for what I needed. The 150 is uh.. 1/2 the size? I didn't mind cause it's a huge case, but if I were to do it again, i'd go with the 150 (for a separate res) or the pumptop/res combo I talked about earlier.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old March 21, 2011, 08:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for your input, Rison.

I like spot 3 for the pump for the same reason but at the same time I'd rather not block that 140mm fan too much. Kinda torn.

As far as the video cards are concerned, I'm using a universal block which has inlet/outlet pointing parallel to the card like so... (pic not mine)

Since the card came stock looking like this GTX 480...

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...-1280x1024.jpg

...I figured I'd use a universal block to save $ in the short and long term, since I plan on a 1356 or 2011 build in the future. I'd probably be upgrading the video cards then too. Hopefully the universal blocks will still be compatible! (1356 more likely than 2011- that thing is huge)

Anyways, back to the topic of the SLI connection - For now, the plan is to have one of these on each thread on the video cards...

Bitspower G1/4 Thread 90-Degree Rotary 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD Compression Fitting - Silver Shining (BP-90R2LCPF-CC2) - FrozenCPU.com

And this for the SLI connection (hopefully being able to use the 30mm extension for the cross but if not, no biggie.)

Bitspower SLI / Crossfire Crystal Link Tube Set - 2 Slot Spacing (BP-CLTAC-S2) - FrozenCPU.com

I'm not sure if the elbows will clear the PCB though so I may have to get extensions...

Bitspower G1/4 Male to Female Extender - 15mm - Silver Shining (BP-WTP-C60) - FrozenCPU.com

There's also a possibility that the fittings won't fit on the blocks, notice in that pic above that he uses the Koolance elbows which have a slightly smaller footprint on the threaded side...

Koolance 3/8" (10mm) ID / 1/2" (13mm) OD G1/4 Threaded Angled Nozzles Pair (NZL-L10KG) - FrozenCPU.com

So I might have to use those, but this pic I found gives me hope of using the Bitspower elbow...

I'm not sure what size those compression fittings are but they probably have a larger diamater than the extension I'm planning on using.

I'm still trying to figure out my SLI options though. It's my first time getting my feet wet so I want to make sure I've got it right. (and that it looks clean)

KaptCrunch: The rad is installed as per usual 3x120 800D setup, the red block just represents the rad, sandwiched by GELID's. All inside the case.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not a fan of the universal GPU blocks. Most of the time, you have to purchase separate ramsinks to sufficiently cool the RAM on the GPU. Which means if you're overclocking (which I assume you are) there is increased risk of damaging the card if there isn't sufficient air over the ramsinks. For the extra $30-40 / card, I much prefer the full cover blocks by EK. Koolance makes some good full cover blocks too.

As for elbows and 90 degree angles - try to build your system with as few 90s as possible. It doesn't make a huge difference, but I dislike using too many as it would impede flow in the loop.

As for fittings, there are two measurements. The "G" measurement, which is the threading.. typically it's G1/4 threaded. The other measurement is the ID (inner diameter) and OD (outer diameter) of the tubing.
The two most popular are 1/2" ID (which is 3/4" OD), and 3/8" ID (can't remember the OD of this). Some people like the 3/8" ID as it's a smaller tube, and easier to route, but is a little more restrictive on the water flow.
I personally used 1/2" because I had a huge friggin case to work with, and I had very few bends to make. In a smaller case, you could make the case for going 3/8" ID tubing.

My advice, figure out your ID of tubing you are going to use, and build your system from there, with all the same / compatible barbs or compression fittings. Use all the same tubing, and make sure the items you purchase are G1/4 threads.

Quote:
Old March 21, 2011, 09:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll just jump in and second the full coverage blocks. I've done both Universal and FC GPU blocks, and I'll never go back to Universals with ram sinks. You'll need fans blowing on the GPU's if you go with the universal style, which defeats the purpose of water cooling IMHO.

As for tubing size, there is little to no measurable temperature difference in the loop between 3/8 and 1/2". I use 1/2" myself but only because I like the look.
Old March 21, 2011, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

asking for trouble
Attached Images

Old March 21, 2011, 10:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Heres how Ive got my 700D, finding a place for a stock mcp655 was like pulling teeth.

Old March 21, 2011, 10:57 AM

My System Specs

Although this thread isn't really for universal vs fullcover, I see no problem w/ universal blocks. Pay $60 plus $20 for ramsinks one time. Then swapping to a new card is only going to cost you like $6 for thermal tape. With a fullcover you are paying $90-$150 every single time you buy a new videocard. You would be lucky to get 50% on sale of a full cover block. That is assuming the card is still current. If it is a few generations old you pretty much need to give it away.
Old March 21, 2011, 12:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The problem with thermal tape, is that i've found it doesn't do it's job very well. I went with the universal block route when I first did watercooling, only to hear the ramsinks falling off mid-game.. and the screen froze. It's not a good sound to hear copper heatsinks falling off the GPU in a metal case.

Thermal adhesive works well (the arctic alumina stuff) and i've successfully removed the ramsinks after having them attached for 6mo.

I agree about the resale of the GPU blocks, I "got out" just in time with my 480 blocks.. however they are still fairly popular due to the heat the original Fermi's run at.

Quote:
Old March 21, 2011, 04:10 PM

My System Specs

That definitely can be a problem. The Thermaltape that comes pre applied to most ramsinks just sucks. I personally buy fullcover blocks myself but I now buy the cheapest ones I can find, which is generally XSPC.
Old March 22, 2011, 04:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
asking for trouble
Why is that?
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit