Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default First time with water cooling

I decided to go for WC, NCIX had 100$ off the new h20-220 Edge kit. Man, that's a 1/3 off, so I went for it.

But I do have a few questions:
1- Are barb fittings good enough or should I get compression fittings ??
2-If I use barb fittings, are the Herbie clips from the kit good enough or should I get hose clamps ??
3-I want to use distilled water, is the silver coil enough or should I put biocide in it also ??
4-I already have 2 fans from my air cooler, plus the 2 from the Edge kit but they have different CFM(2 have 81 cfm and 2 have 54). If I want to go for a push/pull setup, what setup should I use ?? The 2 81's pushing or put the identical fans in the push/pull config ??

I guess that's it for now.

Dan
Old March 19, 2011, 01:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

1/ IMO, barb fittings are fine. (It's what I use 95% of the time).

2/ If they're the standard swiftech clamps they'll be fine as well. I personally just use 2X plastic zap straps for my builds.

3/ I normally use biocide, but in all honesty, the best solution is to redo your water loop every 6 months or so. (I've never had a problem with algae buildup, and some of my loops have gone over a year...... ;) ).

4/ I'd personally keep the fans paired up front/back for a push pull setup. If it's not too much of a hassle, try just the 81's first and then see if there's much difference going to the push/pull.

Oh, and welcome to the dark (wet) side!!!!! ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 20, 2011, 09:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Great, thanks.

Now I understand why everyone says you always end up spending more then first planned, I'm already thinking to add a rad and gpu waterblock...

Can't wait to get the stuff.

Also, I think I'll give Dazmode a try, ncix takes for ever to process orders.
Old March 20, 2011, 04:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It may be that ncix.com (as with many online retailers); don't process orders on weekends or holidays, I found that during the week, order processing (@ ncix.com) is almost instantaneous, depending on payment method.

dazmode.com is a great place to shop; I'm currently awaiting my first order from him now, but just a 'heads-up', daz doesn't deal with Swiftech kits.

One of the more popular kits; is the XSPC Rasa 750 RS240, comes with everything except liquid Rasa 750 RS240 Complete CPU WaterCooling Kit Rasa 750 RS240 Complete CPU WaterCooling Kit [RASA750KIT] - $149.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store good reviews for XSPC kits too XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 Water Cooling Kit

Homer J. Simpson
Old March 20, 2011, 05:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Bman, you're totally right, I'm just impatient when wanting/needing/craving my computer goodies, don't get me wrong, ncix is my top store.

I'll be getting a dual XSPC RX240 + stuff from Daz since I decided to add a gpu block to my loop.

Man, can't wait to get started...
Old March 20, 2011, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Oh, and welcome to the dark (wet) side!!!!! ;)
Oh how that could be twisted ...

1. Compressions is for when you don't want to deal with tube ties
2. Tube clamps..zip ties, whatever works
3. I use Primochill LRT + distilled, the tubing has biocide built in. If you use silver, no need for biocide
4. Best to have identical fans for push/pull, or nearly the same CFM rating. But again..you really don't need push/pull unless you're pushing your rad to the extreme in which case you should consider a bigger one

I prefer to get my WC stuff from Daz since NCIX has a rather poor selection right now (and that's the tame way of saying it)

Cheerios

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old March 20, 2011, 08:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm not trying to hijack nasrott's thread;
but you (Jackuelegs) seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to water cooling, so I have a quick question about rad fans.

I have 3 of these Cooler Master 120mm Long Life Case Fan, Blue LED at Memory Express Computers that I'm presently using to cool my GS1000 case; the thing I love about them, is that they can push 69 CFM @ only 19dB, would these be any good for using in a push/ pull configuration on my XSPC RX360?

If not; why, and can you suggest an alternative that's not going to put me in the poorhouse?

Homer J. Simpson
Old March 20, 2011, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN69 View Post
I'm not trying to hijack nasrott's thread;
but you (Jackuelegs) seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to water cooling, so I have a quick question about rad fans.

I have 3 of these Cooler Master 120mm Long Life Case Fan, Blue LED at Memory Express Computers that I'm presently using to cool my GS1000 case; the thing I love about them, is that they can push 69 CFM @ only 19dB, would these be any good for using in a push/ pull configuration on my XSPC RX360?

If not; why, and can you suggest an alternative that's not going to put me in the poorhouse?
You flatter me , but Supergrover up there and many others are also very experienced with the waterworks.

Those CM R4s are pretty good fans for the money, they'll do just fine. Although the noise rating is somewhat optimistic at 19dB. These fans have been tested by our resident SoulTribunal, and if I remember correctly they were hitting 25dB. Depending on what you're cooling, the RX360 is a VERY capable radiator and has a rather low fin density (less airflow resistance), push/pull is not needed most of the time.

Rule of thumb though, if you're mounting these fans horizontally, do know that sleeve bearings tend to have shorter life spans that way. A good alternative that I currently use is the Gelid Wing 12, or Scythe Gentle Typhoons, although they are somewhat pricey.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old March 20, 2011, 11:07 PM
Top Prospect

ncix's sister company sells that exact kit for the price it's on sale at ncix
Old March 21, 2011, 02:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I don't know who the sister company of NCIX is; the only other places I've seen the XSPC kit are places like frozencpu.com and performancepc.com, and trying to get anything from the States is a crapshoot.

The Cooler Master fans that I have; have been on both my old Thermalright heatsink, and on the back (as an exhaust), the only thing I know, is that they're a hell of a lot quieter than most of the Scythe fans I've tried.

But I've taken (already) too much space on nasrotts' thread, I'll start posting pics of my build log this next weekend.

Homer J. Simpson